RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: Norinco K98 copy

Boolit Buddy
    Now back living in the Uk after 10 glorious years living in France

Norinco K98 copy

Is anybody shooting one of the Chinese Norinco .22LR Mauser K98 copies?...... the Norinco designation for these are JW25A.

I have just seen over here in France that Norinco have just introduced a longer version of this gun.....from what I can see the extra 4 inches is all extra barrel which will give a longer sight radius, which in theory will improve accuracy over longer ranges.

When I get one I will be using it to shoot paper at 200 meters in Military Rifle and Military Trainer Rifle comps....thats about 220yards so maybe the longer gun will be the better buy for me.

If anybody is already shooting one I would like to hear your comments and opinions, thanks.

And why am I buying a .22LR gun to do this and not a full bore military rifle?........cost!.......I'll get a lot more shooting for a lot less expense but I'll still get the challenge and thrill of competing.....

....there is always too much month left at the end of the money!.....

Straight shootin',

Limey
    .......never mind Quigley's gun....I just wish I had his eyesight!!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I've seen the short K version at Gun Shows.

I wasn't all that impressed.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master

I have one of the target model and after some work it is an excelent target rifle. I hardened and set the triggers to a crisp pull and glass bedded the action and free floated the barrel. I then lengthened the stock and put in spacers to adjust the pull. I made a hand guard and mounted a military sling. The rifle currently has a 4x scope on home made mounts and 1" rings and is shooting right at 1" at 100 yards. My Brother has the standard model with a scope on it and he plinks off 9mm cases at 30 yards. They are a good rifle with plenty of possibilities.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had one of the norinco M98s for 12 -15 years(?). It shoots very well but I had to bed the action up around the front of the receiver and first few inches of the barrel. Accuracy was just "so so" until I fire lapped the barrel. Now it shoots very well (1" at 50 yards) with most .22LR that is of .224 diameter. Surprisingly it really shoots CCI Blaser .22LR very well. I have used a scope on it and a Williams reciever sight. But it is really a lot of fun to put the rear sight leaf back in and just plink out to 200 meters on rock, dirt clods, pine cones and sticks. The Baser amm hits pretty much to the sights all the way out but Winchester match .22LR is right on. It is a fun .22LR

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    220 yards is a pretty long way for a 22 rimfire, No? Can they hold a group out there?
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Banned
    Bill,

I've see 22's do some amazing work at that distance. I remember a time my best friend and I done some prairie dog hunting and for a more exciting sport we took rimfires. I made the long kill which is at 250 yards using a CCI hollow point. It was amazing at that distance that it still did a fair amount of damage.

When a long rifle is swaged down inside the bore they are really pretty long so I feel they have half decent ballistics and a fair BC.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks guys

...thanks guy's for all the feedback......I'm going to order one.

....I'm only going to be competing 2 or 3 times a year at my local shooting club plus some fun shooting and plinking with this thing.....I already have far too much invested in my other guns to warrent investing a shed load more cash into this one so I have to cut my cloth to suit by shrinking pocket!........

...I know it's at the budget end of the 'quality meter' but the guns I've looked at and examined seemed robustly made if a little crude in finish.......that'll be a little project for me to try and improve it's looks..........but like the zillions of eastern bloc guns in use around the world they go bang when you need them to, suffer dirt and abuse well and seem to get the bullets where they need to be.......it's no oil painting but it's absolutely functional........in fact typical Chinese/Russian quality and the bang for buck looks adequate for my needs.

I'm looking forward to it getting here now so I can take it out into our field and pop a few rounds off!.........ain't getting a new gun always exciting!....

Straight shootin'

Limey

Boolit Master
    I shoot 22 LR at 200 yards all the time and from what I have seen you should be able to get decent results with it at 200 Meters. The one thing I did find out was that all 22 ammo is not alike and you have to find the particulate brand and lot number that your rifle likes to get really good groups at 200 yards. I shoot a CZ 453 heavy barrel for this and it likes HV CCI Mini mags and HV Winchester super X. Some guys shoot Wolf Match and some go for higher priced ammo but the ones I use knock down the silhouette targets we shoot at with monotones regularity so why pay more?

Boolit Buddy

It's arrived

Here's my Chinese Norinco copy of the German Mauser K98 in 22LR.

It arrived yesterday morning......the wood was coated in some thick, brown varnish which made it not only look tacky but it felt horrible as well.

....but boy!.....was it tough to strip it off!......3 hours with paint stripper, a razor blade, steel wool, sand paper and a lot of elbow grease and it was finally ready for re-staining.

The stain colour is listed as ''American Walnut''.....then I treated it with some professional grade stock oil I had in stock.......it looks and feels good in the hand to me now.

Sadly no time to try a few shots yet.

Straight shootin'

Limey

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Thumbs down Guess I won't be ordering a new one anytime soon....

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

In Remembrance

I suggest getting an extra magazine with your rifle Limey. I`m still trying to locate one for mine.Robert

Boolit Master
    Stupid import rules! I'd love to try one of those.
    Aaron

Boolit Buddy

Extra mag

Hi Hardcast....

...I've already done that....I wanted and extra 5 round mag with the gun but all they had in stock was a 9 round one.......same price.....no more 5's in stock for a month or more....so I said Ok to the 9.

It looks better with the 5.......so I will wait for a few months and then order another 5 round mag as well.......gotta let the ''heat'' die down from Mrs. Limey............''what do you mean, you've bought another gun!? ''.....I'm sure every married man on here will know that same line and tone of voice!!!...

Straight shootin'

Limey

Boolit Buddy
    I had an older Navy Arms rifle, and CZ 452 magazines worked fine with no mods. The plastic 10 round was more reliable than the 5 round metal one, but both fit. Sold it cheap to an older club member that couldn't afford to shoot his 98's any more. (Wish I had it back, next to a Smle trainer, it was the most accurate 22 I've owned).

Trapshooter

Boolit Buddy

thanks Wilco

....thanks for the video link Wilco....

....the gun in the vid is the original colour.....sort of ''gravy brown''....and very plasticy to the touch....

....I reckon it looks nicer stripped off and stained a better colour ....plus it feels like you are holding a wooden gun stock now and not some odd shaped bowling ball!.....

That's the 9 shot clip in the vid....well, they are 9 shot in France, guess they are 10elsewhere....it's a legislation thing here.....the gun does not look so sleek and traditional with the long clip in but certainly it's practical for a whole lot more fun without stopping shooting so often.

...sorry to hear you boy's cannot get any Norinco 'toy's' at the moment due to the current importation embargo.....

....and Wilco.....I LOVE your avatar....where can I get a bigger copy to admire?.....

Straight shootin'

Limey

Boolit Master

Clever looking little rifle!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

Limey,

Nice looking rifle, sounds like you improved the stock a lot right off. I have to wonder at
    shooting .22 RF at 200+ meters! In my experience I can shoot dime sized groups or
    better (~1/2 inch-13mm or less) at 50 yds but seems like everything turns to worms
    by 100 meters with severe wind effects. I've always considered the .22 RF to be a great
    25-50 yd squirrel and rabbit gun (and a lot have dropped to them at my hands over the
    years) but even 75 yds seems like a long shot with one on game.

What sort of group can one actually get at 200 m with open sights on one of these
    rifles? I'm betting that wind doping becomes the centerpiece of the whole operation.

Sounds like an interesting rifle, and the cost of primers, powder and factory jbullets is
    making all of us more RF shooters than we were a few years ago. AR15 look alikes in
    .22 LR are selling like hotcakes, as are the drop in conversion units for regular ARs.
    Great training and plinking fun for 5-10% of the ammo cost!

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy

''grouping'' at 200 meters

Hi MtGun44,

I've got this gun since it is eligible to shoot what the French call T.A.R ......(this stands for Tir de Armes Reglementaire)

TAR guns are any guns...in standard as issued condition....no add ons or tune ups or improved sights........if scopes are fitted as standard then it's Ok to use them but they also cannot be up-graded......that were or are currently issued to Military forces.....this also includes military training rifles and these are usually in .22LR.

You have ten shots precission....time allowed 6 minutes followed by 10 shots in 90seconds....irrespective of mag capacity only 5 shots allowed in any one mag.....no full auto's allowed!

Before buying the Norinco I was using the clubs MAS 45.....it's a French military training rifle....I'm guesing it was made in the 50's or 60's.....so it is very well worn now!......but at 200 meters, using iron sights and shooting at a black that is 15 inches in diameter I can group......or should that be spread!........ten shots across about a 2 foot diameter.......

Our range has built up walls of ash and soil along it's full length so this reduces the cross wind effect some what.....

For the same price as the Norinco I could have just about bought a tatty full bore ex-military rifle....but then there would have been:

a bullet mould
    a quantity of empty brass
    primers
    powder
    reloading die set

...I'm guessing about another 200 Euro's on top...which was a big step too far for my shooting budget....and then there's the ongoing powder primer cost....

...as you say, you can get a whole lot of shooting for a whole lot less money with a .22LR.....and it's not the loudness of the bang or the severity of the recoil that makes you a winner....the thrill of competing is just the same and the challenge of .22LR at 200 meters is a big one.

....but if money was no object then believe me, I'd be buying some hot dig-a-dee-dog full on military full bore and be loving it!.....

Great to hear from you MtGun44.......

Straight shootin'

Limey