Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: 429422

Boolit Master

Got on a trade with a gentleman&friend over om the Ruger forum.com & he sent a few of these!!!

I knew of em but never held any in my hand until now.

GP100man

Boolit Master

Looks like a HB Keith?

d

Try loading that HB SWC over 6.5 grains of Unique in a .44 Special case. That load has been very accurate in my guns. But if I try to load up HB cast bullets much faster, accuracy tends to suffer....
    Glen

Boolit Grand Master

As I understand it, this was the solution to fat throats back in the day when replacing the
    cylinder wasn't easy to do. I'd imagine that with too much pressure the base will flare out
    when it leaves the bore and upset the flight.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Using Hollow Base Keith bullets also reduced the weight allowing greater velocities. Some that shot at long range preferred them for that use. Elmer used 16/1 lead/tin for that purpose.

Personally, I have no experience with hollow base bullets except, of course, Hollow Base Wadcutters (I have shot a bushel basket of THEM), strictly at target velocities.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master

I have a couple of 429422 moulds and have messed with them.

They're all right but don't drive them to .44 Mag velocities as accuracy suffers (as Glen said). They work great in the .44 Special./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

Beagle,

Do you find that they are more accurate in guns with oversized throats than the solid
    based versions? This is the reported intent, it would be interesting to know if it actually
    works.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Bill,

They seem to work well in my SBH which has .431 chamber mouths.

They don't work as well in Mag cases but do give better accuracy out of .44 Special cases which with PB bullets is sometimes a bit lacking due to the 1/8" jump caused by using the Special case.

So, I think the HB opens and compensates for this shortfall. I've also used the 358431 and the 358395. In the .357 cases, results are ho hum. In .38 cases, I get better accuracy in the mag chambers. Shooting either in my wife's Model 15 Smith with a .38 Special chamber, I'm back to ho hum accuracy.

Based on these tests, I believe they offer an improvement in accuracy when using Special brass in Mag chambers.

When I was shooting them, I recovered a bunch from the berm. I was surprised that the HB was formed perfectly round...almost as perfect as if it had been swaged.....which it had by pressure./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Beagle,

Do you find that they are more accurate in guns with oversized throats than the solid
    based versions? This is the reported intent, it would be interesting to know if it actually
    works.

Bill
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....