Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Experience with Old West Bullets Moulds .44-40 Hollow Base?

Question Experience with Old West Bullets Moulds .44-40 Hollow Base?

I contacted Bernie at OWBM inquiring about a .44-40 with a hollow base and he says he has one similar to Lyman's 42798 with a hollow base.

Does anyone have experience with this particular bullet? I understand the mould will be top notch but wondering about performance.
    Last edited by .41LC; 06-21-2010 at 08:43 PM.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I myself would be very interested in such a mold as I shoot the 44-40 with BP. About the only bullet I use is the 427098. It has shown to be the most accurate out of the current ones being offered. It also has the two lube grooves which work well in my SASS shooting. The hollow base bullets were the hot ticket before the flat base bullets for a few reasons. One is that the cavity was filled with lube and second they upset to seal the bore which works well in straight wall cases. The design of the 44-40 case stops this from being a problem. I don't know that it would be anything special today. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Mold
    For the 44-40 bullet you should look into the Mav Dutchman bullet.. This is a great bullet for use in the 44-40.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Hey Ralph, This is Fairshake you and I have shot on the same posse's. I go by Cajun Shooter on this forum and never changed it. I have casted and poured many a Mav-Dutchman as I shoot only BP. I have the mold. I get better long range with the 427098. For Cas the dutchman is a perfect bullet. I really enjoyed the shoot at Quitman for Searcy. I thought we had a nice turn out. In fact I talked with the Dutchman while there. Take care David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet