RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lbt bhn tester

Boolit Master

lbt bhn tester

lbt bhn tester, is it worth the 100 bucks? is it as good as i've heard it is? anyone have used this tester? looking to buy but only the best. thanks skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

Boolit Master
    Yes, yes it is.. it is the Simplest of the testers to use.. there are some cheaper, and some more expensive, and personally If I had to buy one again, this is the one I'd get. It's worth every penny I paid for it.

Boolit Master

I use mine all the time. If you follow the instructions it is very accurate, and extremely easy to use with a direct BHN readout, no guessing or converting.

Boolit Buddy
    I have only had mine a short time. Very impressed about how easy it is to use.

Boolit Master

ive had mine for well over 10 years ! works excellent ! a fried had a saeco hardness tester that i used for awhile and i prefer the lbt

Boolit Master

bnh tester

thanks guys! i wanted to be sure before i bought it, i don't mind spending the bucks, i wanted what you guys just described, accurate and ease of use. i'll be ordering one shortly, thanks for the input.

skimmerhead

Boolit Master

I'm happy with mine definately worth the $ IMO. I like because it's fast and accurate with direct bhn reading. FB

The only BHN tester I've used is the LBT so I can't compare but I will say it works & is simple.

Dry Creek Bullet Works
    Dry Creek Firewood

Boolit Bub

Hardness Testers

Quote Originally Posted by skimmerhead View Post
    lbt bhn tester, is it worth the 100 bucks? is it as good as i've heard it is? anyone have used this tester? looking to buy but only the best. thanks skimmerhead
    It seems I'm the only dissenting voice. I tried the LBT tester, and got widely disparate readings on bullets from the same alloy. Not just one batch but several. Using it wrongly ? Maybe, but I'm a commercial caster, respectably skilled machinist and ex gunsmith, so I don't think so.

But my main point is why bother with hardness testers when the reliable way to get any hardness you want is to get the antimony % right. To paraphrase Jeff Cooper "hardness testers are the answer to a non existent problem."

$100 ?? Crazy !!

Boolit Master

Thumbs up lbt bhn tester

i have been trying out my tester on various known bhn. lyman #2 tested 15 on several samples, lyman#2 that i mixed useing lead boolit calculator, useing ww lino and tin. bhn 15 all samples. mixed a batch useing lasc formula for a harder alloy, i wanted 17 bhn. all samples tested 17. tested boolits i bought on gun broker, 7. emailed guy asked what bhn boolits were 12 -to-14 bhn. when i told him about the test he said he'd refund my money. i think i have a better chance of winning the lottery. i tested some boolits i got in nov. from going ballistic spec's were 16 bhn, when i tested every random sample was 16. now having said that this is the first bhn tester i ever used, i followed instructions and could not be happier, now i don't know how accurate it is compared to any other but i don't care! it is balls on accurate and repeatable, easy to use, now i know what i'm shooting! hats off to you VERAL SMITH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skimmerhead it's worth every penny i paid! I MUST BE KRAZY

Boolit Master

lbt bhn tester

THANK'S to all who have and use this tester your feedback helped me make the right choice. does that make ya'll crazy too?

skimmerhead

Boolit Master
    That's good to hear. How'd that 41 magnum load come out? I saw it on Willy's side, Gunloads.com, and wondered if you'd had to chance to get a definitive load. It's been rainy all sping and summer here, so my load development has been spotty.
    Bought a .413 WFN mold from Veral, haven't tested it yet. By the looks of it, that mold may be just the thing in my Blackhawk.
    Good Luck,
    Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master

lbt bhn tester

you ain't gonna believe this but i haven't shot it yet! nor my new ruger .44 flattop! i was working in my barn i was loading some boolits, my old lab laying on the floor next to me just loading some 9mm. well i dropped a boolit and it fell next to ole blue, now ole blue is blind and his hips are bad, kinda sounds like me well not wanting to disturb him i leaned over kinda backwards and flipped over and my knee landed on the cement first. i would have laughed but it hurt too much. but i didn't disturb blue. so thats how i been spending my summer, x ray's mri ortopedic surgeon man this been the most fun iv'e had with all my clothes on that i can remember! but i did not disturb blue. i'll let you know how that load works as soon as i'm finished having fun.

skimmerhead

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the input everyone! Looks like I'll be ordering one too...

Tom

Boolit Master

lbt bhn tester

you must be crazy to buy one!

skimmerhead

Banned

I had a seaco then bought an lbt and liked it better. then i bought a cabin tree tester and it was cheaper and better then the lbt so i sold both of the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I had a seaco then bought an lbt and liked it better. then i bought a cabin tree tester and it was cheaper and better then the lbt so i sold both of the other two.
    If I didn't already have a LBT I'd go with the Cabin Tree...............Creeker

damron g
    Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    If I didn't already have a LBT I'd go with the Cabin Tree...............Creeker

i agree.I originally preferred the LBT because of it read direct in BHN,then i made a ring deal i stick on my Cabine Tree dial indicator marked to read BHN and it like them equally now.I get very repeatable results with both testers though they don't always agree with each other by a small percent.

I had the Lee and it was very accurate and seems to read closer to actual BHN when compared to a known sample. The SAECO was OK except sample size is limited by its design.

"But my main point is why bother with hardness testers when the reliable way to get any hardness you want is to get the antimony % right. "

Still its nice know where you are at and it's useful to see how much water quenching and stuff does.It also helps to see how soft or hard scrap alloy may be.

George

damron g
    [QUOTE= To paraphrase Jeff Cooper "hardness testers are the answer to a non existent problem."

Whats the problem to knowing hardness?Some of aren't trying to get bullets harder,we just want to know what the BHN is.With plain base 30 caliber loads i learned a lot by being able to monitor bullet hardness.And harder wasn't always better.I don't NEED a chronograph either but i learn a lot from it at times

George
    Last edited by damron g; 07-25-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    Not disturbing old Blue, priceless!
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast