RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Load Data

Thread: stiffening up pearl lube

stiffening up pearl lube

I have a big batch of pearl lube - soy flakes, crisco, and toilet bowl rings that works great with black powder in cooler temps. Now that it is over 100 deg during the day, it just turns liquid. I was thinking about adding some gulf wax to harden it up a bit, anybody try that or have any other good suggestions?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    ... or have any other good suggestions?
    Nobade, per Dick Rhody (Dick Dastardly) who concocted it ... "Also, you can "stiffen" the original PL recipe with additional soy wax. It's adjustable."
    He didn't say how much though. Might want to send him an email ... rrhody@spwl.net

Now that it is over 100 deg during the day, it just turns liquid.
    That's from the Crisco - it's an oil not a wax
    Regards
    John

Banned
    I would bet dimes to doughnuts that a little Beeswax would fix your ills.

Boolit Master

or even better - carnuba. Twice the stiffening properties of beeswax and also helps polish the bore.

"Also, you can "stiffen" the original PL recipe with additional soy wax. It's adjustable."

That's from the Crisco - it's an oil not a wax
    Soy wax and Crisco are almost identical in composition. Crisco is just soybean oil (plus some cottonseed oil) that's less hydrogenated than soy wax is. Soy "wax" is just hydrogenated soy oil. Same as palm wax is hydrogenated palm oil.

Adding more soy wax will harden/stiffen the lube slightly, but will do nothing to increase it's melt temp. Soy wax has a low melt temp, like many other hydrogenated oils.

Adding carnauba will increase the melt temp. Additional paraffin will do the same to a somewhat lesser degree.

I've been using and working with soy-based lubes for a while. Ultimately, you may have difficulty with increasing the melt temp of a soy-based lube enough to keep it solid in 100* temps. Your time and effort may be better spent with concocting a separate and specific hot-weather lube. Good luck.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Nobade, if it were me contrary to what Dick Dastardly said, I would just add some melted candles to the Pearl Lube
    Regards
    John

Crush up some ****** and add it to the mix................
    Turning money into noise, since 1970

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsablazin View Post
    Crush up some ****** and add it to the mix................
    That's very bad advice.... I tried that once and my Star's handle was stuck in the upright position for three days.

i shouldnt but i cant help it ....

so ..what did u finally do to get it down ? lolz

i actually made some pearl lube the other day ( first time ) i wanted to see how it pan lubed with my big ol maxi's ...i first tried it on the r.e.a.l.'s...it was ok but best to push out the front( because of the way the ridges are designed) it was a lil soft ( keep in mind i made a small batch ) so i added a lil bit of beeswax ( and the only crayon i could find ) that was much better , i didnt add much and it could of stood some more ,but as i said i didnt make a large batch ( i did comment on it in the pain lubing thread ) i didnt make much because of the fact that i read that the crisco may cause brass to verdigris ( turn green) but i made more than enough for the coupla hundred maxi's i had cast plus about 100 lee BP conicals , even with the small amount of beeswax i added it shouldnt need heat to apply until it gets close to freezing , i set a chunk on the back porch in the sun ( the thermo was reading 110 ) it didnt melt or separate for the 3 hours of direct sun i left it in ( keep in mind that my back porch isnt covered and the white of the walls make it even hotter than actual temp - combined with the heat fron all the concrete of course ) my batch was originally 10 oz. to this i added 1 oz of beeswax ...seemed to be enough ( and man those maxi's look professionally done sweet ! ) the toilet rings should be considered a stiffer vaseline with some extra stikki lolz ( my regular low vel lube uses some and it wont release from the pan for love or money ( but a bit of heat is the only way to free it )ok ok it uses a bit more than pearl lube along with some lanolin etc )

I thought a little beeswax would fix it too.