Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alloy of COWW and Linotype

Boolit Buddy

Alloy of COWW and Linotype

Well, I am looking into getting some linotype. I would like to add some to my COWW for a harder alloy for my 358 Winchester. I powdercoat, so heat treating, and water dropping will not do me any good. So I need to get my BHN from the alloy I mix. I would like to try for a BHN of 15-18. Does that sound about right? (velocity 2200-2400fps) In order to get that, I was thinking something like 1lb lino to 5lbs COWW. What say ye?

Boolit Grand Master
    Yup, that should get you close.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Banned

yep should get you to 15-16 or so
    most just water drop from the oven, it don't hurt the powder coat after it sets up.

I pre-heat boolits before ESPC at 450*f for an hour, take out and shoot with the PC, then return to the oven for 15 min at 400*F (re-set oven) and quench in ice cold water. I haven't checked the hardness but, they're very hard! Probably 25-30 BHN with COWW's and 1 1/2-2% Sn.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    OP........download the FREE alloy calculator spreadsheet on here and it will answer ALL your questions...now and in the future!

banger-j

Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    Well, I am looking into getting some linotype. I would like to add some to my COWW for a harder alloy for my 358 Winchester. I powdercoat, so heat treating, and water dropping will not do me any good. So I need to get my BHN from the alloy I mix. I would like to try for a BHN of 15-18. Does that sound about right? (velocity 2200-2400fps) In order to get that, I was thinking something like 1lb lino to 5lbs COWW. What say ye?
    I just cast some 6 to 1 WW-Lino-2%Tin. I will test it in a few days. I'm thinking somewhere around 15 BHN. I will post here when I do my testing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    I just cast some 6 to 1 WW-Lino-2%Tin. I will test it in a few days. I'm thinking somewhere around 15 BHN. I will post here when I do my testing.
    Excellent! am looking forward to your results. One question, why add tin to that mix? I thought lino has a pretty high tin content already.

Excellent! am looking forward to your results. One question, why add tin to that mix? I thought lino has a pretty high tin content already.
    My mold was not filling out as it should. Could of been temp. but this is an experiment in progress. If the BHN is what I'm after then I will try some without extra tin. I'm also going to water drop some and test that.

Lino is high tin but WW's are not so at 50/50 you cut the lino tin in half. Still an acceptable 92/6/2 , actually pretty close to Hardball at that 50/50 WW/Lino mix. Adding the 2% tin in gets you to a little short of Lyman #2 at approx. 90/6/4 with Lyman #2 being 90/5/5.

Still I'm betting Tenbender is correct on it probably a temp issue, that original mix is a pretty decent alloy.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

My 6 to 1 WW + lino + 2% tin did what I thought. After 3 weeks it is at 15 BHN. It will get a little harder but not much. I Don't think I needed 2% tin for the BHN I wanted. I will cut it back to 1%. If the bands don't fill out I know they will at 2%. I'm only looking for 15-16 BHN. That will work for my 7X30 Waters , 30 30 , 45Colt and 40S&W. Thought about water drop but I don't need that hardness. Less work also ! lol

Boolit Buddy
    Tin gets "cooked out" of linotype as it gets used. The printers that used lino had to add tin periodically to bring the alloy up to snuff. I suspect the lino you have is well used and may be very low in tin %. FWIW Pilgrim

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Alloy Calculator ... has been in the Stickies since February 2011
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oy-calculators
    Why don't folks Look before Asking?
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Well as that seems to be directed at me I will answer. I am a type of guy that would rather have answers from people who have actually done what I intend to do than from a computer program. So thanks to all who have answered. I realize that some people that have been on here a while tend to get impatient with we noobies. I apologize. We were all newbies asking questions at one time. I feel that any knowledge I have learned I am willing to share with others, even if the question has been ask 100 timed before.

Boolit Master

Well as that seems to be directed at me I will answer. I am a type of guy that would rather have answers from people who have actually done what I intend to do than from a computer program. So thanks to all who have answered. I realize that some people that have been on here a while tend to get impatient with we noobies. I apologize. We were all newbies asking questions at one time. I feel that any knowledge I have learned I am willing to share with others, even if the question has been ask 100 timed before.
    Agreed and sometimes even thou I read it on a very old thread current info would be nice. The alloy calculator is a nice tool but info from those that have done it is priceless.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    John Boy. Next time I need a link I will ask you. Until that time read the news paper !! 10 4

Boolit Master
    I'm hoping that^^^ was in jest. I would probably ask the same question in your shoes without looking at the stickies, but if someone tossed me a link I would simply say, "Thank you" and use the information. John Boy is one of our august members with a whole hell of a lot of experience under his belt and information to offer.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Master

Lean on the experience and good nature of experienced members to learn ~what~ to do. Lean on the alloy calculator to tell you how. It's just math, made easy with the spreadsheet.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

It is not the information it is the way it was delivered !

Boolit Grand Master
    And bear in mind that most casters can't tell linotype from monotype, foundry type, or stereotype. If you REALLY want to know what your alloy BHN is....you need a hardness tester.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

The alloy calculator is great, it does give you the ability to change amounts of alloys you plan to mix and get resulting percentages of the ingredients and its BHN. This allows you to tweak and twiddle your way through all sorts of combinations easily.

However part of the OP was also about would the proposed alloy and BHN be suitable for the specific velocities intended in a specific firearm, that question is best answered by the experience of people.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast