Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thieves and liars and bums..................oh my!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.

Thieves and liars and bums..................oh my!

Went to a gun show today and saw several piles of 500 count 22LR Remington 22LR's for $55-60/box!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was in Walmart yesterday to get cat litter and just happened by the ammo case (so I tell the wife)and 4 of those EXACT SAME boxes of 500 22LR's followed the wife and me home.................for only $22 each. I guess all the fairy tales of WalMart actually getting them in IS in fact true!

When will all this theft and corruption ever stop with these silly little bullets?

bangerjim

Super Moderator Emeritus
    When fools quit buying from thieves, you don't buy anything from their table and soon they drop price or quit coming to shows

Boolit Buddy
    That's easy, when people quit paying those prices.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't like scalpers any more than you but it's not theft or corruption. If I don't like the price I won't buy it.

Slightly off topic: I don't buy many things from Walmart, but I was there last Saturday and noticed Tula FMJ 7.62 x 39mm for exactly half the price Gander Mountain was selling it for. Ironically the two stores are less than a half mile from each other.
    Last edited by Maven; 11-23-2015 at 01:08 PM. Reason: factual error

Moderator Emeritus

Last week, I was in Dunham's sporting goods for the first time...I don't know where else they have stores, but anyway, they had many boxes of Remington thunderbolts for $28 for a box of 500. I will not shoot thunderbolts, but it was nice to see them on the shelf. They also had Fed gold metal 22lr boxes of 50 stacked, but were mixed, ...some "target", some "Match", some "Ultramatch" Yes all the boxes have the same design, but different part numbers and name in small print. All priced at the "Ultramatch" price, I tried to tell the young clerk of the error, they thought I was just an old coot.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

.22 L.R.s are slowly coming back to our Bi-Mart chain in Oregon. Lately I've been able to buy 100 rd. boxes of CCI for $6.99, so that would be (rounded off to $7.00 per 100) X 5= $35 for 500. But, presently they'll only sell you one 100 rd. box at a time. Everything else is now abundantly in stock, so much so that the centerfire ammo they used to keep exclusively behind the counter is now stacked out on the ends of the aisles--help yourself to 9mm, .38, .45, .223, etc.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yes. Other ammo is becoming abundant everywhere......for those that want to waste money on comm-loaded ammo. We here know better! I, like many others, light load everything from 223's to 30's to 38's to 44's & 45's MUCH cheaper than most 22LR's go for. Fun shootin'.

All those rediculous priced boxes of 22LR's at the show and at several LGS's are still there!

Mabe someday?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't shoot much .22 anymore, much cheaper to load PB plinkers in my center fire guns.

With that said, I was told last week by the kid working in sporting goods at the local Walmart that they usually get some .22's in on Saturdays; but there is always a line of people waiting for it. One of these days maybe I'll get to town early enough to actually see some new .22's at non-scalping prices.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I see the same thing at the LGS and gun shows here to.Wallmart has a sign up temporarily out of stock back in stock soon.As for other stores I just don't see any at all.I keep hearing 22lr is coming back I just do not see it in my area or I am just not at the right place at the right time.

As for loading the cf stuff cheeper maybe or maybe not primers and powder are not on the shelf often either and then not a a decent price.

I am doing my best not to buy anything gun related at the high prices.It is the only way to fight back.Lets just hope most of those $60 bricks set there for along while and the thieves get hung with them

Bob

Boolit Master
    At the gun shows I've been to lately, there are always some tables with $50/$60 bricks of thunderbolt and other cheap junk but they haven't been moving much if any. 22 ammo has been showing up here and there at the box stores for 6/10 cents per round. Sometimes it stays on the shelf for a few days so I think the scalpers are about done.

Boolit Master
    Im not sure who is actually buying any of the overpriced 22. I see it piled up at vendors at gunshows, but don't see anybody actually picking it up and buying it. I think alot of them are simply sitting on it waiting to get that full price. Seems a bit dumb, as they have to then put it back in a vehicle and haul it somewhere else, try to sell it again. So they can make $0 at that huge mark up, or can make less profit but actually move it at a reasonable price.

I can walk into my LGS right now and buy a selection of 22 at regular prices. I guess everybody around here is full or broke as it doesn't move very fast. While the local wal mart sells out soon as it comes in. I guess the same few hoarders and gougers clean them out.

Boolit Buddy

I live near Bentonville, AR Home base for Walmart. I am often in the store and they NEVER have any .22 ammo. ***!

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Im not sure who is actually buying any of the overpriced 22. I see it piled up at vendors at gunshows, but don't see anybody actually picking it up and buying it. I think alot of them are simply sitting on it waiting to get that full price. Seems a bit dumb, as they have to then put it back in a vehicle and haul it somewhere else, try to sell it again. So they can make $0 at that huge mark up, or can make less profit but actually move it at a reasonable price.

I can walk into my LGS right now and buy a selection of 22 at regular prices. I guess everybody around here is full or broke as it doesn't move very fast. While the local wal mart sells out soon as it comes in. I guess the same few hoarders and gougers clean them out.
    Local gun show this last weekend, saw much less .22 LR for sale, prices down a bit too. One fellow had 500 round boxes for $43 as compared to a couple of months ago when same show had 333 round boxes for $57 at more than one vendor. Saw some boxes of 50 at under $3, awhile ago those would have been over $5. Prices are clearly coming down. Still not seeing it in local big box stores, local Wal-Mart have seen 3 boxes in stock one time in the last 6 months and I check most times I'm there just to see. Clearly getting snatched up fairly quick.

As for the scalpers saw a vendor that in the past has had 22's covering 10 foot of table, with huge variety of package sizes and brands (collected from many places) at sky high prices now has about 5 foot of table with a painted wood sign behind it saying "Make Reasonable Offer". He is clearly sitting on a lot of .22 inventory that no one will purchase. I was tempted to offer him the $25 Wal-Mart would have charged for one of those bulk boxes and see if he would take it. But I was tapped out from purchases of powder, primer, and brass already made so would not have been able to complete the deal if he met my price.

As long as an item will sell at the high price most folks won't lower the price. Sometimes a body just bites the bullet and pays the high price because they don't want to do without, other times they are willing to walk away. Until almost everyone walks away prices won't drop. Cabela's has powder but they are also the most expensive, generally $5 - $7 more a pound online. I just won't buy from them at that price, and will wait. This of course means when I buy a few 8# jugs to cover my main uses they won't get my business either. But as long as they can sell a $22 jug of powder for $30 at a steady rate, the better return on investment they get from those customers will keep them charging the higher price.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master
    Our wal-mart has not had any 22's this year. Been on other wal-marts and picked up some. Here, they say they get in what corporate sends them and they don't send any 22's. Doesn't the store manager have a say in what gets shipped?

Boolit Buddy
    This summer picked up 3 bricks of Thunderbolts[2 trips one with wife] for under .06 with tax at Sportsmans warehouse in Spokane, other stores have some small boxes or Armscor at .09+tax. Wally World has never had any when I check, even the local sports store has had very little and they are the only stocker of black powder in town.
    Shaune509

Boolit Master

I have Walmart, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, and Cabelas.

I have not seen a single .22 RF in any of several Walmarts in three years
    In the others, I have not seen an empty shelf since last summer.

At my local gun show last week every other table had abundant stacks. They were asking 15 to 25 cents per round. The only reason they are getting it is because the public doesn't realize the shortage is over.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    There were 1000 round boxes of Winchester m-22 at my local walmart today for 50$. Left it for the people who did not stock up on .22 lr when they were 12.95$ a brick. Still using up that stuff even after the several boxes I have given away to friends and family these few years. I figure things will have stabilized about the time I need to stock up on it again. Unfortunately for me I may not get the 12.95$ bimart specials again.

Boolit Master

if it wasnt for ther paranoid hoarders, this would have been done and over with already!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I, like many others, light load everything from 223's to 30's to 38's to 44's & 45's MUCH cheaper than most 22LR's go for. Fun shootin'.
    I UN-like many others, reload 22LR's with black powder. Less than 15 minutes for a box of 50 at cost of $2.70 excluding dies. Is $0.054 per round. Most expensive cost is Swiss Null-B at $22 per lb
    Regards
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast