Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neal Waltz .22 Sizing Die

Neal Waltz .22 Sizing Die

I bought one of these dies a while back and I have to say the workmanship is excellent and the results...I get Wolf Match ammo to consistantly expand to .400" at 30 yards when fired into milk jugs (average penetration 1 jug) filled with water. I now use this die on all of my hunting ammo and target ammo. It improves accuracy and lets you use your favorite match ammo to much better effect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2549186287_65593a68e3_o.jpg  
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Boolit Master

So what does it actually do?

It appears to make hollow points, does it squish the boolit in length? How do you keep it from sliding into the case?

John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    The die will make hollow points of varying diameter and depth, the second tip will create the Eley "EPS" nose profile on the bullet which is like a wadcutter effect with a small dimple in the center. It will not make the cheap stuff shoot like match ammo but will improve the accuracy of middle of the road ammo such as Wolf and SKJ.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

What does it do at 100 meters? Does it help or hurt at that distance?
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Grand Master

Does it size the case like Paco Kelly's does?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Paco Kelly immediately came to mind when I saw the die. As stated, does it size the case??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

How do you get a response from Paco? I have emailed him twice to no avail. I have 5000 rounds of Eley target that needs HPing.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

So what happens at 100 yards?
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

It sizes the bullet and bumps it up to .225". It does work better on lead bullets vs copper plated when you shoot out to 100yds. I use bulk federal copper plated HP's that I then modify, fill the hollow cavity with NRA bullet lube for faster expansion and shoot coons in the barn with them. It's close range so pin point accuracy isn't required but expansion is.

Crabo...it has shrunk groups at 100 yards by 30-40%. I really like the dog gone thing.
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Boolit Master
    Here's all the discussions from RFC......................

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...archid=3085131
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

In my testing with this tool I limited myself to the CMP Aguila "TARGET" ammo. I tested for accucary at 80 & 110 yards [ my range has a cut through on one side that allows wind to past through, so on windy days it was testing at 80 yds.]
    In my testing I used a 10" Anschutz "Exlemper" pistol and a 14" Contender W/ a match chamber. Bottom line on accucary; sorting by rim thickness and no alteration of the bullets proved the best, second was rim gauged and the "ESP" point, BUT the match chambers are very selective, plus the lube on Aguila ammo is thick and "runs" when the Temp. gets above 85 deg. and causes cases to stick.
    This fall I plan to test the tool again with some Fed. 510 and some sub sonic ammo for back yard use on "tree rats"
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    So what happens at 100 yards?
    Basically depends on your particular firearm........heres a 10 shot group..first 2 rounds from cold barrel went out of main group then things settled down. 10 shot group measures .871" center to center....8 shots in .431" using Wolf Match Extra with the EPS tip die.
    Last edited by Herb in Pa; 12-18-2010 at 09:27 PM.

How much is this die and where do you get it?
    Crabo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    How much is this die and where do you get it?
    Email: WALTZ@SSSNET.COM
    4105 HYATT N.W. MASSILLON, OH 44646 USA

About $135 shipped if I recall, it's a work of art, not some crude gadget you whack with a hammer, it screws into a reloading press and has a shellholder for the case.

Boolit Master
    I really want one of these!

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master
    LOOK, It's a 2010 post.

The idea of flat pointed .22 rounds was started by CCI, I could expound on what happened but no one wants to believe.

Boolit Master
    Do tell?
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    LOOK, It's a 2010 post.

The idea of flat pointed .22 rounds was started by CCI, I could expound on what happened but no one wants to believe.
    Links, or it didn't happen.
    Cognitive Dissident

am I the only one that thinks putting pressure on the base of a rimfire round sounds a bit risky?

had a primer go off on a Dillon 650 once that was bad enough, don't fancy a round of ammo going off....
    May we achieve our aims....

Boolit Master
    GRid.1569,

I suppose that anything is possible... but very unlikely.. the shellholder that is sent with the tool supports the base of the rimfire case. The bullets being reformed are of soft lead so I doubt that there is very much pressure on the priming compound to cause detonation... now if you were to place a small bit of metal between the shellholder and the base of the rimfire case, directly under the priming compound so as to create a high point, the pressure would be intensified in that one spot... but I think that is highly unprobable...

I have had both Mr. Waltz's tool and one from Paco Kelly... I think Mr. Waltz's is much safer.
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast