RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BAC Lube

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GLynn41 View Post
    I think i saw it mentioned but it is worth a repeat-- if your alloy is too hard for that low velocity it can and will lead-- bac is certainly good lube--ac ww or range lead with a little tin should be good to go -- so that leaves the fit issues --
    Glynn, I have to disagree on the hard boolit statement. IME they work very, very well, especially at long ranges (100+ yards with pistol) IF, and that's a big IF, the gun is properly dimensioned AND the boolits, like you said, FIT. If they don't fit, it doesn't matter how hard they are, leading will still occur. I didn't feel like hard alloy is all that desireable for the downrange application here, and moderate alloys give a bigger "fudge factor", so I DO agree with your recommendation, just not the general statement.

Gear

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    HOLY COW!!!!! Evil, do you think you're using enough crimp??????

Gear
    Actually I have backed off a goodly bit on that crimp. My idea at the time was to round over the case mouth somewhat thinking that it might feed a bit easier. Not using anywhere that severe of a crimp any more.

This is what it looks like now.... that bevel base bullet loaded bass-akwards.

Last edited by Evil Dog; 06-16-2010 at 12:06 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I use BAC at 2400 ft./s in 223 Remington without leading problems. Your problem lies elsewhere...

Boolit Master
    Hay gear-- not a problem-- you said it better than I dd-- if fit is good hardness not a problem normally -- if fit is so so softer will help- it still comes down to fit-- I have a couple of firends that use Leadheads-- which are reasonable bullets -- but very hard -- one likes them at 950 or1000 and he will tell me he can hear the lead as it falls out when he has to clean his gun-- I never could understand -- but I realize now it is likely fit and hardness- or too hard to at that velocity for the fit---i told him to speed them up a little with his 2400 but if they lead at 950 (he was using blue dot) they will be worse --his six gun is a 629-- so he is and always will be a cast plinker- because of the leading issue -- he is missing a lot

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Dog View Post
    Actually I have backed off a goodly bit on that crimp. My idea at the time was to round over the case mouth somewhat thinking that it might feed a bit easier. Not using anywhere that severe of a crimp any more.

This is what it looks like now.... that bevel base bullet loaded bass-akwards.

That looks better! Pictures are worth a thousand words sometimes, we can assume nothing when trying to troubleshoot.

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    I've used BAC ever since I started casting my own. Excellent for pistol as well as gas-checked rifle loads upto 2200fps.

Bruce
    Depending on your launch device, BAC is good for a bit more than 2200fps.

MJ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    Depending on your launch device, BAC is good for a bit more than 2200fps.

MJ
    I'm sure it probably is, but 2200 is the max I've shot my boolits and I wanted to put out verified data.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Bub
    Hmm... softer lead? I cast a lot of round ball for muzzleloading arms so have a fairly good supply of dead soft lead. I'm wondering if casting some of the double ended wadcutters using this buttery soft lead might work? I'm sure that more than just a couple have tried it. Did it work well or just a waste of time? These would be for use only in my Model 52.

Banned

Softer lead might work for gallery loads with next to no crimp and an oversized expander die, part of the problem of too soft is the boolit making it into and out of the case without getting squeezed down too small for the bore.

Gear

Boolit Master

+1 for gearnasher. If you decide to try pure Pb, make sure seating doesn't size them down. Don't ask me how I know.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by GLynn41 View Post
    I think i saw it mentioned but it is worth a repeat-- if your alloy is too hard for that low velocity it can and will lead--
    I'll +1 this for sure.

For me, there is only one .38 Special 148DELWC load, and that is 2.8 grains of Bullseye. But that's just me. It's been probably twenty years since I've fired a Model 52--and you DO have me a bit on the "envy factor." That is a VERY fun gun to shoot and a fine firearm to boot.

My experience with wadcutters has been that softer works better than harder. With so much bearing surface, every time I've tried to "harden" the boolit--either by adding lino/mono or water dropping or heat-treating or additions to the alloy--I've sacrificed accuracy and picked up some light to mile leading, no matter what lube I used.

These days, I just use straight WW and let them air-cool. I run them through my lubesizer and use my homemade lube formula, only lubing one groove, and have no problems. (Tried lubing all three grooves one time and my accuracy went to Hades in a handbasket.)

Boolit Bub
    I take it you were using the Lyman mold... it's the only one I can think of right off hand that has 3 grooves. I'm using the RCBS version that has 4 smaller grooves. Might have to try just lubing a couple of the grooves and see what happens.

Banned

One more thing to try, ED, and it could be an ejumacashun, is use an inertial-type bullet puller and pull one of your loaded boolits, then carefully mic them. You might be surprised the size they actually are coming back out of the case.

Gear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12