Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: AR15s......... Pros and Cons

Boolit Master
    You guys are forgetting polymer lowers.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Banned
    I wasn't forgetting the polymer lowers, just thought maybe not many here interested in them. I was going to mention that the ACR is polymer but didn't. Lots never cared for HK when they went polymer.

Banned
    About Bushmaster barrels:

Bushmaster is a choclate onion on this issue.

For some things, they buy from Lothar Walter. This is the odd high end stuff.

For the 5.56 stuff, here is what they do.

The buy steel out of Canada. Then ship it to one of two places for drilling and rifling. Green Mountain is one of them.

Then, they send them out to contouring.

Then out to plating and other stuff.

It is a strange system.

Boolit Master

you can get a stripped lower from dsa for $55.

Boolit Master
    and plum crazy fireaarms makes a compostite complete lower with composite fire control parts and a 6 *** butt stock...retail 140 intro.....

i am placing an order for...........well more than a dozen and lesssssss than....hmmmmmmmm.
    ( i part time as a special order clerk for an ffl)
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Banned
    I got my STAG complete lowers, ready to pin the upper too for $120.

Boolit Master

thats a pretty good price...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    and plum crazy fireaarms makes a compostite complete lower with composite fire control parts and a 6 *** butt stock...retail 140 intro.....

i am placing an order for...........well more than a dozen and lesssssss than....hmmmmmmmm.
    ( i part time as a special order clerk for an ffl)
    Paid $99 each for my Plum Crazy lowers about 3 months ago...very very very happy with them.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Banned
    Doug,

You done good and more importantly you're happy with what you purchased. That's what really matters.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    Paid $99 each for my Plum Crazy lowers about 3 months ago...very very very happy with them.
    i aint saying what were paying....notice i only listed a intro msrp price.....

but yes its a good deal.....

you want a light 16" carry gun...this is how to get there...replace the stocked lower on an m4 16 carbine and you drop over 2 lbs!

mike in co

Banned

anyone make one of those light weight lowers for an ar10? If so can you post a link?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    anyone make one of those light weight lowers for an ar10? If so can you post a link?
    not that i know of.....

Banned

sure would be nice to knock a lb or two off the weight of an ar10!

Banned
    LWC has a 308 16 or 18 inch piston driven AR 10 type rifle with all the whistles and bells that weight around 9 lbs. I've see some on DPMS's website that you can get down to 8 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    LWC has a 308 16 or 18 inch piston driven AR 10 type rifle with all the whistles and bells that weight around 9 lbs. I've see some on DPMS's website that you can get down to 8 lbs.
    To anyone thinking about a 16 or 18 inch barrel 308 caliber rifle. I would highly suggest you try shooting one first. I don't like short barrels on a rifle anyway just from a ballistics point. But I've fired a Remington 660 IIRC with short vent rib barrel. Was the nastiest firearm I've shot in my life. Flame out the barrel for a distance measured in feet not inches.

When Springfield Armory came out with the Tanker M1. Gun mags had a few articles on it. Seams the US Army did test a short barrel M1. Was rejected due to excessive muzzle blast of the short barrel. I completely concur with the army's decision from back then.

I'd never personally own or even shoot a 308 with a barrel of less than 22” and I'd never buy one under 24”. You need the weight out on the end to keep the gun down under recoil anyway.

I have tenitis (ringing of the ears). Have been told by doctors it only takes nine shots from loud guns to cause this. Like a big revolver out the window of a pickup truck where the blast comes back at you like you have a bucket over your head.

Banned
    LWC is looking to make an alternative to the M4 carbine for out boys over in the sand box so they have something that shoots a bullet with more knock down power. I agree with you a short barreled 308 is nasty as is any other short barreled rifles.

Boolit Master

even a 10.5 inch 5.56 is rediculously loud, i say again, rediculously...

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm in a similar spot to the original poster--doing some R&D in the direction of buying my first AR-15. I've carried them and used them quite a bit at work, but was never really motivated to own one. We ran Colts, Bushmasters, and Armalites at my old agency, and all of them worked very well. I didn't see a lot to choose from between the three makers we had in service. Most of our deputies opted for the carbine versions by about a 3 to 1 ratio.

My own preferences--as determined to date--run more toward an "A2" example--20" barrel with permanent iron sights, NATO chamber/throat, hard stock, no chrome lining in bore, HBAR profile. A second upper would follow, slick top with scope rail--24" heavy barrel with 223 chamber. Both uppers would have 1-9" twist.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

for a long barrel I'd take a look at the 26" match or target profile here. http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/index.htm
    I like the gas tube being extended 2" farther out.

Bull barrels out past 20" get very nose heavy. I have a 20" Bull barrel and it's a hunk of steel. works well as you can see bullet strikes within your scope view as it is stable under recoil.

Banned
    The AR15 becomes unwieldy with a barrel over 24 inches. Another thing a 26 or 28 inch barrel puts a tremendous amount of stress on that little frail upper receiver and barrel nut. Not a good idea.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast