RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: AR15s......... Pros and Cons

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Cool AR15s......... Pros and Cons

I will buy an AR15 sometime in the near future but for now, I start my research.

I’m looking for a quality AR. I plan to buy new and I don’t want to piece the AR together. I don’t have to have the top of the line, but I don’t want a *** (something that jams on a regular basis, looks like **** or other known problem)
    I’ve heard a bit about Colt, RRA and a few others.
    Are any of you guys and gals AR fans? What do you like and (TRUST)? And why?
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

I shoot High Power matches with them, so I'm looking for something special in performance. For me, the best option was to buy a complete barreled upper receiver from a specialized builder (White Oak for the most recent), and then acquire a lower from one of the mass market builders (Bushmaster for the most recent) and build it up myself.

I have lower components from Jewell (adjustable match trigger), Armalite (match trigger), Bushmaster & Colt (furniture). They are all excellent.

Colt & Armalite have the high end, then probably Rock River and Bushmaster, then the others are below in terms of perceived quality. I have nothing but good to say about the parts from the first 4.

If you are trying for the best accuracy, you don't want a Chrome lined barrel. Chrome lined will probably last longer, but the accuracy will be generally less than a good unlined chrome-moly or stainless barrel. If all you're going to do is plink, get a Chrome lined barrel. Factory triggers can be ok, but can be spongy. You can still buy a rifle with an -A1 type upper receiver, but the sights are very difficult to adjust. The sights on an -A2 type receiver are easy to adjust. Flat top upper receivers allow the installation of all sorts of electronic and other reflex sights, which are much quicker for most persons.

Figure out what you're going to do with this, then let your wallet be your guide.

I have 3 AR's and various uppers for various reasons. I think Bushmaster is the best bang for the buck, generally. I use a Bushmaster with a Jewel trigger for 3-gun matches, it's been a solid gun and plenty accurate for that shooting. I have a Colt which is no better, but cost a lot more, and I have an receiver I made myself which, if I considered my time was probably the most expensive - and it isn't any better either.

GsT

Boolit Mold
    Im new on here but I have a AR. its a good gun. i built it myself for 750$. IMO if you want to keep the cost down put it together yourself. i saved myself about (estimate) 5-600$ by building it myself than to buy it already built.

Moderator Emeritus
    RRA sells a whole bunch of rifle to High Power shooters. If you are looking for accuracy, get one of their National Match models. They are competitive out of the box.

John

I have a RRA Nat'l Match that I used to train my son on before he went to boot camp. With Federal 55gr FMC, she shoots into 1" @100 yds w/ iron sights. It has a great trigger and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the Nat'l Match Course (with 69gr or 77 grain HPBT's) with her.
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

I personally have a Bushmaster with an Aimpoint, and have been very pleased with it. I carry the new Smith & Wesson version at work and have also been very pleased with it as well. A friend just recently bought a Delton at the local gun show. Before the show I have never heard of them but after doing some looking I found that they are all over the place. The weapon seems to shoot as good as my Bushmaster, the price at the show was $550.00. The down side is that the weapon has a flat rail on top and does not come with sights, this will be an added expense.

Boolit Master
    I have owned six colt ARs including the original AR 15 (3), A2 Government (1) and A2 HBAR (2). I also currently own 3 and Olympic Arms Plinker plus carbine (16" HB on and A1 Upper and standard A2 Lower), a DPMS Light Weight carbine with an A3 Upper, and a Bushmaster 20 inch A3 rifle. The Carbines I bought for plinking and general use and the rifle I got for informal target shooting and an occasional HP match. All of them are very reliable and very accurate with my ammo. The Olympic Arms carbine is the lowest price rifle they sell and I got it for a camp gun and plinker. I have shoot it with iron sights from a bench using 69 gr matchking bullets and printed groups of under 1 MOA. I did even better with a scope on it. The Bushmaster rifle Shoots about the same and is easier due to the longer sight radius. I bought the DPMS carbine recently due to my desire for a lighter carbine that gave me a lower scope mount capability. It fulfills that role perfecty but I have not tried anything in it but M193 ball ammo and it shoots that stuf about as good as any of my other ARs do. I am perfectly happy with my rifles. One of these days I do want a new upper with a free float handguard and a 1 in 8 twist barrel so I can shoot heavier VLD bullets for longer ranges using a tight sling.

Boolit Master
    bought a CMMG piston carbine, 4000 rounds later it is a favorite for wife and myself. had to put a loopold 1x4 ar series scope on it as i cannot see the front in focus. yes i tried still can see the m1a front sight well enough to shoot eggspurt scores. handy little rifle, shoot heavy bullets like 68's on up to 75's. works so much better than the light ones on critters and targets.
    kind of a test, shot the piston gun a little over a thousand rounds with no cleaning. took several months last winter to do, gun functioned just fine even with lots of wyoming inside of it.

You will want to decide between NATO, Wylde or SAMI chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    You will want to decide between NATO, Wylde or SAMI chamber.
    .223 is my choice if that is what you mean? Ammo is easier to get.

I've found a buddy of mine that builds AR's. He is recommending Colt and a couple other high end brands. He says he will build one for me if I want him to.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Man

Stag

I have had the chance to shoot AR-15's from Stag Arms, Bushmaster, S&W, RRA, and a number of custom builds lately. I personally own a Stag Arms 16" carbine. I ordered a stripped Stag lower, put the lower parts together myself, and ordered a complete upper from Stag Arms. I saved perhaps $100 this way, but I think you can get a pretty basic Stag carbine complete for well under a grand (I have about $750 in mine). My Stag carbine has a 5.56 NATO chamber with chrome lined chamber and barrel, flat-top receiver, and standard hand guards. After 1,000+ rounds it has been 100% reliable, and will print 5-shot, sub-MOA groups at 100 yards all day long if I do my part. It has shot some 1/4" groups with 55 grain V-max bullets over Benchmark powder. It's accuracy blows me away. I was not expecting it to be as accurate as it is. A second Stag carbine I shot would print groups nearly as good with quality ammo. I have shot many AR-15's that cost more than my Stag, but none shot better. I don't know what your accuracy requirements are, but about every quality AR-15 I handled shot very well with good ammo. Also a 5.56 NATO chamber will handle commercial .223 ammo just fine. Could run into trouble putting 5.56 NATO through a .223 chambered gun though. All in all I would not hesitate to buy any good quality AR-15 from a reputable company.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    .223 is my choice if that is what you mean? Ammo is easier to get.

I've found a buddy of mine that builds AR's. He is recommending Colt and a couple other high end brands. He says he will build one for me if I want him to.

No, that is not what he meant. The chamber that has the larger specification (especially in the throat) in the 5.56 NATO. Next down the line the is the standard 223 chamber. The Wylde is inbetween and a little bit of match chamber thrown in.

For utter reliability (if that is your quest) the NATO chamber is the one to go with. No explanation for the standard 223 chamber. The Wylde will let you have accurate and still run in an AR15.

Running a pure match chamber might give you functioning problems.

No matter which chamber you can only load the bullets out as far as the magazine will allow, unless you want to single load.

Banned

in the mid priced gun range i own a bushmaster a dpms and a stag. Out of those there if push came to shove id probably keep my stag, but there all so close it would be a hard call. Bottom line though if only one ar could stay in the house it would be my colt.

Thanks for the info. I'm in a learning curve here.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Grand Master

I own a Colt and a DPMS. If I were buying today, I'd go with Stag.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    in the mid priced gun range i own a bushmaster a dpms and a stag. Out of those there if push came to shove id probably keep my stag, but there all so close it would be a hard call. Bottom line though if only one ar could stay in the house it would be my colt.
    Colt....which is more then likely made by CMT which Stag is their outlet.

Banned
    Let's clear something about DPMS. DPMS doesn't make anything. At least they didn't use to. They have parts made for them and I believe they have a standard they abide by because most their stuff is pretty decent. They assemble rifles. Take Stag on the other hand, which is the commercial outlet of CMT, makes most the components of their rifles.

Ok, after discussing this topic over and over with some AR nut buddies of mine, I made the decision to buy a Colt 6920. I almost decided on the 6940 but I was talked out of it. I gave Stag and a few others consideration too. I know that I could have saved a few bucks by going with a different brand or building one myself. And I’m sure I’ll make changes, possibly buy another upper and add on’s.

Me with a black gun, now that’s something new. See what this administration made me go and do.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Grand Master

While I would have gone with the Stag, I certainly can't fault the 6920 choice. They are fine rifles. I'm sure you'll be happy.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast