Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Lee Classic cast ram

Boolit Man

Lee Classic cast ram

I made a new ram for my Lee Classic Cast for swaging. I can't figure out how to dissamble the press to get out the factory ram without drilling out the pivot pins that hold the linkage to the press. Any help is appreciated. My only option, besides drilling out the pins is to make a new top screw-in part. I also posted this in the reloading equipment section. Sorry to be redundant.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

Boolit Master
    You have to unscrew the top part of the ram first, then that will expose the pins. One pin has a hole in it, take a long punch and go thru the hole and drive the opposite pin OUT. With that pin out then you can drive the other pin OUT with a larger punch.

The pins are knurled on the outside egde so the need to be driven OUT

Boolit Man

Thanks a bunch

Thanks for the help. I noticed the pins were hardened so I could not have drilled them anyway.

Thanks again.

Vendor Sponsor

Got to show us the new ram now. Like ANEAT said though I was not that smart and drove one IN. this took quite a bit of force compaired to out.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Man

New Ram Pics to follow

I will take pictures when is s 100% done. I am experimenting with making it reversible. On one end, I will have it sized to accept drill bushings to reduce .45 half jackets to .38 and maybe even to .30. The push pin will be mounted in the top of the press and the finished jacket will fall out the side of the ram after it is pushed through the bushing. I bought some drill bushings from McMaster Carr and am grinding a taper on the entrance and and relieving the rear of the bushing so I only have about 1/4" of sizing surface in the middle in order to reduce friction.

My plan is to be able to reverse the ram for swaging with standard CH4D dies and I made it about 1/4" longer than the standard ram to mount an ejection system to knock the finished product out of the die. I am also drilling 2 sets of bottom linkage holes in the ram to create adjustable travel to allow more pressure for swaging in the shorter travel mode or for reloading in the standard travel mode.

We will all see how it works out. It should be done by next weekend.

Thanks for all the input.

Gary

Boolit Master
    Gary I modified my linkage with another set of pivot holes and a pivot pin that can be easily pulled. It really helps a lot

Boolit Man

Pivot holes

Aneat
    I considered drilling another set of holes in the pivot linkage but was concerned that it would be too weak. I guess it would be ok in the vertical arms that is connected to the casting, but I would worry about drilling the linkage that the handle is connected to. Are your holes in the arms connected to the casting?

Boolit Master
    I bored holes in the linkage, so far its holding up. Its made out of the powdered metal stuff Lee uses. If it fails Ill replace it with some steel.

I dont think moving the holes in the arms would improve the leverage. You need to reduce the ammount of travel in the ram with the same travel of the handle

Boolit Man
    I will play with the linkage on paper before I drill holes. I may just make it out of steel while I have it torn apart. BTW, great job on the big press. I don't know if I need a press that large, but may decide to tackle it if this does not work as planned. Your photo documentation is very helpful. I only swage .357 amd 9mm with a little .30 and have not had any problems. I am careful on how much pressure is applied and that the handle and ram reach the peak together.

I was messing with the ram on the mill before I came to work today. It's hard to leave it alone when all the tools are at home.

Input appreciated.

Boolit Master
    Ill see if I can get some pics of what I did to the Lee.

As for the big press, thanks, yes after swaging a bit now its probably way overkill for 99%. I will probably do a smaller one this winter.

There have been a few situations where Im glad the beast is there

Boolit Man
    ANEAT

OK, I figured out that I was not picturing the leverage correctly. As you suggested, drilling extra holes in the ram might not work. I needed to move the fulcrum by drilling extra holes in the linkage that the handle is connected to. Drilling holes in the ram or the vertical linkage would only have changed the vertical position of the ram without affecting the leverage or power of the unit.

Thanks

Vendor Sponsor

Sounds like you got it figured out. I did the same thing to my lee by drilling new holes in the linkage, not the ram. Works very well just make sure you get them aligned perfectly when drilling them.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Sorry old post
    Is there a diagram of where the new holes go?
    Last edited by juan916; 03-15-2020 at 12:41 PM.