Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Looking for smokeless powder comparison photos

Looking for smokeless powder comparison photos

I'm looking for a website that has photos comparing different types of smokeless powders. Specifically AA#9 vs. IMR-4227 vs. H110 vs. Win 296. I have some .30 carbine reloads, and I'm trying to identify what the powder is so I can judge if the loads are OK.

There's 11.5 grains of powder in them, and the cases are full right up to the bullet base, might even be compressed. The guy I got them from couldn't recall what the powder was, but judging from the weight and volume, I'm kinda thinking AA#9, but I don't have any to compare to.

Anybody know of a good place that has closeup photos of powder types?

Many thanks!!!

Banned

You can't do it, don't even try.
    Factories have a way to measure burn rates and pressures with their lots of powders. They do NOT get canister grades like we buy.
    You flirt with danger trying to match a powder amount in factory loads.

Boolit Bub
    If you have ANY doubt as to the safety of that ammo do yourself and family a favor. Pull it all down, pitch the powder and reload with a known powder.
    Trying to identify a powder by "looks" is a disaster waiting to happen.
    I've had people give me reloads before. Never shot them. Pulled them down and reused what components I could. Better safe than sorry.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I was thinking about doing the same thing as you over 37 years ago and was quickley talked out of it by friends who knew better. Take the advise of 44 man. The lay person can end up with severe injuries fooling with the unknown.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    The safest and smartest thing to do is to pull the bullets and sprinkle the powder in the garden.

Boolit Master

44man, they are reloads...

But I agree with the others - disassemble and use for either garden fertilizer or flux - the latter is more exciting. Just a pinch. Doesn't work all that well, but it does liven things up, a bit.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Does sprinkling gun powder in your garden produce new guns?

Wife sez "Don't understand why you put catnip in front of your targets."

well it just so happens that 11.5 gr of accurate #9 is the load i use for my 30 carb with the RCBS115 gas check boolit. give me 1900 fps over my crony. steve k
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    4227 does not look like 296 or H-110. 296 and H-110 are ball powders, while 4227 is a short-granule extruded powder. H-110 and 296 are identical in every way but their names.

The point here is that you CAN tell visually that 4227 is NOT H-110 or 296, and vice versa. You CAN'T tell that 4227 isn't something else that is a short-granule extruded, nor can you tell whether 296 and H-110 isn't some other ball powder.

Don't know about AA#9. Never used it.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.