RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learned a lot at the gun show today

Boolit Buddy
    What I have learned:

Everything I have is junk, and undesireable, everything for sale is in top shape, hard to find and worth a lot!

You can be held liable if a private sale gun blows up....so the best way to protect myself would be to sell that Nazi marked P-38 to a dealer for $200.

I am expected to overlook any fault or defect in any merchandise offered for sale.

Blue book is just a guide, if it indicates pricing in my favor. It is carved in stone if I'm buying.

BSA scopes are just as good as a Nightforce.

It is apparently good economic sense to haul the same stuff to the same shows every year, and hold out for the same unrealistic prices, than to sell it for a decent price.

Been this way for years, and I still keep going....I like the time spent with friends, and the good times we have. More of a social occasion for us.

Andy

Boolit Grand Master
    Yup, but every now and then, a jewel falls in your lap, thats why I still go

Boolit Buddy
    I got to find the sad single cavity mold sitting in the "junk" pile on people's tables.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Master
    i'm just back from the crossroads show at cashman center.

the no loaded gun(concealed or otherwise ) is an insurance issue with the building owner/promoter.....learn to deal with it.....they are not antiugn......there is also a no loose ammo rule..it must all be packaged.

close to 800 tables.

mostly a bust for me......i did find a single dealer selling wolf small pistol and large pistol primers at less than my distributor...so i bought.

sold 2 sks's to a dealer for my full asking price.

i missed an fr8 that i had spent about 5yrs searching for and a very nice 7mm mauser....both priced well.

you think paying for parking sucks( its 4 bucks now)...once i pay $100 for the table, i get to pay the city another $10 for the priviledge of selling in thier city, and still have to pay for parking!
    only accurate rifles are interesting

I too still attend the rip off gun shows just hoping for a find that never happens. I buy most of my reloading components there since it is usually about the same price as mail order, without the cost of shipping & hazmat. But by the time I drive there, 2 1/2 hrs both ways and pay for parking and food, I can only say, "well I got it in hand." I have tried to sell guns there and no one wants to look at them, won't even talk trade. But if I pick up one of theirs, I get the old "I can get more than that in northern Virginia next week." Bull S--T.
    I too like the expertise of the sellers and I am amazed at their vast knowledge.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Grand Master

finally figured this tactical stuff out. I have a 40 S and W TACTICAL that I use on occasion, mostly when I want a light gun with less recoil than my 45. When my uncle arthur calls I need less recoil for long shooting sessions, gettin old I guess.

Any way I was getting ready to clean the gun yesterday. I had it empty and the slide locked back when it slipped off the desk and I grabbed it just as it hit my lap. Well I tripped the slide release just as it landed and the slide slammed home... and bit me on the left tactical.

I think I am going to see about a non tactical model.

Boolit Master

Gunshows in mid GA are Cr@P!!! They are nothing but a bunch of junk dealers and they think their guns are worth way more than they actually are. And I too have heard the dealers gripe about a "bunch of broke locals" when they are cleaning up on Sunday evening. Price accordingly and maybe you will sell some guns! Oh yeah it is 2-3 bucks to park and 8 bucks to get in. Used to give Military or police discount, but not anymore. I have seen one elderly man at the shows locally and everytime I see him he goes into this big schpiel about how this is his last gunshow and to make him a deal on everything on his table (which is the same every show). Then I would see him at the next one. And the next one.....From an outsider's viewpoint "us" "gun people" look pretty shady and like hucksters. I have sworn off gunshows...
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post

the no loaded gun(concealed or otherwise ) is an insurance issue with the building owner/promoter.....learn to deal with it.....they are not antiugn......there is also a no loose ammo rule..it must all be packaged.

close to 800 tables.

mostly a bust for me......
    This how I deal with it . . . I don't go . . .

These are "print your own business cards" from AZ- CDL:

If my gun is not welcome . . . they can get their money from someone else . . .

John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master

i have found that gun shows are a terrific place to buy cheap belt buckls and chinese knives, garunteed to last the rest of your....day.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
    This how I deal with it . . . I don't go . . .

These are "print your own business cards" from AZ- CDL:

If my gun is not welcome . . . they can get their money from someone else . . .

soo what part of read my lips did not get thru ???

the promoters at most shows are controlled by legal agreements..which include insurance....and loaded gun restrictions...if they owned the property like a gun store it might be different. its a short term rent....with lots of controls.

yes the lawyers have got thier teeth into it..but mainly due to stupid gun handling.

nice attitude...none of the indoor ranges allow loaded guns till on the firing line. the one gun shop i frequent does not allow loaded weapons in the door.

i bought a complete lower with 6 postion stock and firing group...for 90 bucks in the last 2 weeks at a gun show.
    i have bought 2 sks's in primo condition for $150 each in the last 2 weeks.

i bought a new 7.62x39 ar bbl for $100

dont tell me there are no bargins out there...........
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master

Mike,

I understand the lawyer thing . . . along with the insurance stuff, I just refuse to be part of it. For instance there is a gun shop in Tucson, (2nd Amendment on Pima) that has a good selection of everything I need, but there is a school right across the road, and with the silly 1000' rule in place . . . I have found a different place to shop. I was in Tombstone, with some friends last summer, we went into a restaurant that I had called ahead to see about their gun policy, and when we got there, it had changed! I walked out, lots of other places to eat!

I have a good old gravel pit to shoot in, I'm usually the only one there! I've never been to an indoor range . . . lots of fresh air around here!

I'm glad you feel comfortable to be dis-armed to be able to buy things at a "deal" I do not, you and I have had this conversation before . . . however, if everybody continues to just give up their rights to carry guns, because we can "get a deal" it will only get worse I believe.

I also understand that I live in a state that is more gun friendly than some others . . .

I never said there weren't deals to be found . . . I just quoted you as saying it "was a bust"

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 06-17-2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: To add last line.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Grand Master

Am always amazed at gun shows at how little I know about guns and ammo with my 71 years of shooting and reloading, and how much that 23 year old dealer and his wife know about all aspects of shooting, reloading, collecting, burning rates of powder, etc.etc.etc. Am also amazed at how much his guns are worth, and how little my guns are worth. And CAST, why in the world would any body shoot old fashion stuff. Ah yes, when you do find a reputable dealer at a gun show, it is sort of like seeing a daisy growing out of the center of a fresh cow pie!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Just a thought after reading all the posts............has anyone (or group) actually voiced these complaints/gripes to the gunshow people? The only reason I ask is because of the comment about having your intelligence insulted. The dealers at these shows have to realize that probably 90% of attendees probably have more info and knowledge than they will ever have.

I've been on the "other side" of the table years ago, and there was an inherint respect for the customer's knowledge. If they weren't so knowledgable, you informed them but in a nice conversational manner and NOT to justify your price. Don't like the price? Make me an offer. If we can't agree, no big deal.......nice talking to you anyway!

If the last show I went to is an example of the current "accepted" behaviour with tactical this and that............I'm done.

Boolit Master
    Also when you sell a gun it is junk. 5 min later when the dealer puts it out to sell it magically turns to gold.

Boolit Master

I think all have found that gun we have been looking for at a fair price or less at a show, and we are looking for that "gold nugget" in a pile of feces again. We just have to go through that big pile of feces to find the very rare nugget. What fun would it be if every show I went to they had 1899 Savages in as new shape with Marble and Lyman tang sights for $200 each? Ifound one that way a couple of years ago and I'm still looking for the next one. I found a 340 in 30-30 worth the money at a show in Lebanon after looking for one for 2 years. I complain as much as the next guy about gunshows but I always go back looking for that nugget?
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Barrett View Post
    I think all have found that gun we have been looking for at a fair price or less at a show, and we are looking for that "gold nugget" in a pile of feces again. We just have to go through that big pile of feces to find the very rare nugget. What fun would it be if every show I went to they had 1899 Savages in as new shape with Marble and Lyman tang sights for $200 each? Ifound one that way a couple of years ago and I'm still looking for the next one. I found a 340 in 30-30 worth the money at a show in Lebanon after looking for one for 2 years. I complain as much as the next guy about gunshows but I always go back looking for that nugget?
    nah as we get older we just love to sort thru feces ...... sometimes it's worthy and sometimes...well it's all feces,

years ago i used to collect dbl barrel 12's,seen a parts gun ...listed for $5 more than i had on me ..i of course tried the old make offer routine ...no go ...not a problem [shrugz] i went and borrowed the 5 bucks and went back ,he suddenly didnt want to sell ...wth ? over the course of years i see him all the time , he found out about my hobby from some other dealers and used to try to sales pitch me as i walked by ( and i always made a point to not even look at his table) i flat out told him that if it was free and his he'll never ever get my biz -EVER ! period end of , he wasnt happy about that so i told him why .... as the old sayin goes never ummrelieve urself where u eat ......i do believe in supporting local and little guys even if it cost a lil more ( no not alot more just a lil )i even know a few dealers whom i'll buy something from when i'm not in need when they are having a bad show but for those others......( especially like $75+@1000 primers on gun broker take ur greed and get gone )

Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    I learned that every gun I own is only worth about $100. But the good news is my Rockola Carbine is worth about $200.
    I'd love to get a Rockola carbine to hang over a Rockola jukebox. It just seems like such an American thing to do.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    The trick is to go early on the first day( Find the few bargans there)
    and late on the last day(make lowball offers on over priced stuff and be amazed).

The best stuff at a gunshow are cleaning brushes, MIL cleaning patches, and just being arround gun stuff and a pro gun crowd. The worst thing to buy at a gun show are guns.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I can see all sides but I did go to a show today in Burlingame KS, it was thier first show. The town has a population of about 2 hundred and half are dogs. But I did find a Belgium Hi-power in silver nickel chrome for 400 bucks cash and carry. The same gun is on gun broker for buy it now @ 1300.00.

The trick is to go early on the first day( Find the few bargans there)
    and late on the last day(make lowball offers on over priced stuff and be amazed).

So true ~ I went to a gun show a100 miles away. I allways say it's my last Anyway the parking was free and $5 to get in I found a RCBS 30-180fn $20 never been used and a Saeco four cav with handles for $20 used. you get lucky some time's.
    Lead foot;

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast