MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 savage and cast boolits

Boolit Buddy

300 savage and cast boolits

I am so excited! I drew a deer permit for the first time in a LONG time of trying! So i have my uncle's model 99 300 savage. And now i need a load for it. I have two 30 cal molds.
    311291 and
    I'm leaning towards experimenting with the 413 first because of the distances we have down here in the desert a 200 yard shop is not unheard of. Any advice at all even it's about a different mold would be appreciated I am more then willing to buy another mold if my experiments with these two don't pan out.

I"ll start loading tonight and update this thread as I go.

Again thanks to this board for all the great advice.

Last edited by .357; 06-09-2010 at 02:38 PM.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

In Remembrance

Good for you on the permit! I`ll list the starting loads for 3 of my best results powders for using the #311413 mold.

2400 powder: Start at 18 gr.

4227 powder: Start at 19 gr.

3031 powder start at 26 gr.

Work up slowly 1/2 gr. at a time and watch the primers for pressure. I use CCI primers mostly. A 50/50 alloy of lead and wheel weights air cooled works fine, a small amount of tin can also be added if necessary.

Good luck hunting.Robert

The 311413 has a reputation for being cantankerous at speeds over 1600fps. It's known as the Squibb bullet, I have Belding and Mull's version. I use 12.5gr of Blue Dot for 1575fps out of my Krag rifle. At that velocity it's quite accurate, but at 1750 it was here and there. I think however that my problem was the old Herter's primers that I was forced to buy during the worst of the shortage, any load I've tried with them has been less than stellar. I think you'll find the 311291 to be more user friendly, but I'll be waiting for your results.

Boolit Master

im building a 91 mauser that I have put a two groove springfield barrel on, chambered in .300 sav. I would also be interested in hearing some cast data for this if anyones loaded for anything similar. i love the .250 and .300 sav, well designed cartridges. good luck on tagging a deer!

Boolit Master
    The 311413, unless a hollowpoint version, should not be used for hunting deer because of lack of expansion. The 311291 is better adapted for hunting, especially if you use a flat nose punch when sizing. I've used the 311041, which is similar to the 291 except the nose, in my .300 and the results are very good. Cast boolits are not ment to be shot across valleys but, can be used to a couple of hundred yards with success if you do your homework.
    JDL

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Airborne, Use cast loads which have been mentioned on this board for the '06. Your limit would be the velocity commensurate for the 10 twist. ... felix

JDL's loads will fit right into the scheme of things. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 06-09-2010 at 03:14 PM.
    felix

Boolit Master
    82nd airborne, I've had success with Lyman 311466, 31141, and a 165 grain truncated cone flat nose boolit. The 31141 pushed with 44 grains of WWII era H-4831 will put a 2" hole through the lungs of deer. This load clocked 2083 fps so is compairable to a .30-30 factory load and results prove it. I have shot deer with the 311466 in h/p form, but using 4227 at 1800 fps and it did well also with a narrower wound. I haven't yet used the custom mould on deer but, it is spectacular on armadillos!
    JDL

Boolit Buddy
    I'll some experiementing with some wet news paper and the 413 if it doesn't expand then i guess i'll start with the other mold.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I shot some cast through my 1899 .300 (1925 or so)some years ago. I was using the Lee c309-150f which weigh in at 160gr, and using IMR 4227 and IMR 4198. My rifle had a .308" groove and .309" throat, so was quite tight.

OTOH, my 1935 vintage 99 carbine 30-30 will chamber a .311" bullet.

Boolit Master

remember that your GC is inside the case I would use a NON checked boolit and 413 is not

Boolit Buddy
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=73813

an extensive thread on cast boolits + 300 savage!
    Μολὼν λάβε

In Remebrance

The 300 is reputed to have a very short throat. That's why the boolit designed for the 300, the 311414 IIRC, has that long bore riding nose. Your gun may or may not suffer from a short throat. I would also recommend a FN or RN design. I'm a fan of the RCBS 30-180 but there are others out there. Getting a SP to expand requires velocity and without expansion you just poke a hole, like a FMJ. Not fair to the game, not good for the sport, not good for you.

If you want to shoot cast at game at 200 yards then you need to do some homework on drop and windage.

Boolit Master

Thanks , i dont have the stock glass bedded yet, but when i get around to doing that ill shoot some groups. I dont hunt with guns reall, just bow hunt, but it should be a fun gun to shoot.

Boolit Bub
    Owen

What unit did you draw?

I drew in 27 with a muzzleloader. Got to find a boolit and a load for it.

Boolit Buddy
    306 any fire arm, what caliber are you shooting? I have a 58 lyman minni mold if you need it.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Bub
    Is that the Corona area? If so, I know a couple of guys that have hunted it for the past few years, I'll see what they know about it.

Shooting a .50, have a couple of molds, just haven't decided which I'm going to use.

Boolit Master

tdd4570, what moulds do you have for the 50, and what size do they cast?

Boolit Buddy
    I'm having great luck with reloader 7 and the Lee single cavity C309-160 boolit sized 309 i'm getting some pretty good rested groups. Just wanted to update everyone on what i've been finding.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Mold
    I have spent many years with my 1946 99 Savage EG in 300 Savage caliber. I have shot cast bullets by the thousands through this rifle. After putting an old 4X Weaver scope on it I really got to see what it could do. Problem was...it could only take shorter bullets...the Lyman 311466 (Loverin design, 155 grains) was the only bullet that fit, keeping the gascheck in the neck. I did use the 180 grain 311332, but had to bump the nose to shorten it. Below I have listed the most successful groups. These were shot on all different days. The bullets were hand picked and weighed to within 1/2 grain. Lube was old Alox/Beeswax (Tamarack) All bullets were made with 1/2 lino, 1/2 pure lead, sized 310. All groups were 100 yards. I don't buy the words "very accurate" or "pretty accurate". The proof of accuracy is in the numbers, on paper. 2 MOA means 2 MOA.
    So here you are. I do believe that this is as good as any sporting lever action can shoot with CB's. At least from my shooting.

RL7 21.0 311466 (.310) 1.875MOA.(10 rounds)
    4198 26.0 311466 2.625MOA (7 rounds)
    RL7 21.0 311366 (310) 3.75 MOA (8 rounds)
    RL7 21.0 311332 (.310) 2.5MOA (5 rounds)
    RL7 21.0 311466 1.125MOA (5 rounds)
    As far as jacketed loads go:

4895 39.0 165 Sierra Gameking 2.0MOA (chrono 2375 fps) 5 rounds 100 yds.

Best wishes,

Rooster

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the numbers. Rested a decent 1.75 inch group @ 100 yards (in the tunnel) with the load however i loaded up a box of them and headed out the cast boolit shoot and i'll be damned if i didn't lead up my tube about 40 rounds in, stuck a bullet in the throat and my day was over. So i'm scaling my load way back for competition. might work pretty well for hunting.
    Since my original load throws a bullet @ 2300 FPS and only need to hit baby once maybe twice.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast