RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Finally! 6.5mm Jap. Type 97

Boolit Buddy

Finally! 6.5mm Jap. Type 97

Finally, the weather, my work load, traveling, and so forth allowed me time this afternoon to get my Japanese Type 97 sniper rifle sighted in. As you may already know the scopes on them have no provision for adjustment. The adjusting is done at the mount and I used pieces of credit card. It was a shoot and adjust sort of afternoon but I finally got it on at 100 yards. (Only took about 60 rounds!)

Load was 140 grain Sierra soft point bullets over 37 grains of IMR4350. That duplicates WW2 military ballistics. Groups ran about three inches for five shots at 100.

This part was even better. I had some cast loads ready. Lyman #266673, 148 grains of linotype. They were seated over 14 & 16 grains of 5744 with no fillers but with a stout crimp. They also grouped inside about three inches at 100.

My Type 38 6.5mm with iron sights shoots about as good as the Type 97 with the same jacketed load but it doesn't group the cast ones as well.

I sure feel good getting this done because its been a long time coming. Now to the loading bench so perhaps tomorrow I can see how well it shoots at 300.

MLV

Boolit Grand Master

How did the Japs sight them in at the factory? Shims or bend the mount or the barrel?
    Sounds pretty ridiculous from a practical standpoint.

My 99 shoots extremely well for a pretty ugly rifle. Chromed bore is mint and the sights,
    while a bit odd, seem to work very well, indeed.

I hope there is an article coming in Guns soon, I've never even handled one of the 6.5s.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.