Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 340 accuracy ...

Savage 340 accuracy ...

I've looked at these over the years as an alternative to a lever gun in 30-30, but have no experience with them other than one afternoon with a .222 Rem. ( used my uncles to shoot up our winter supply of winter squash while the folks were away one day. I was impressed, my uncle had a great time, and my dad was some upset when he got home) I sure wish someone would make a nice LIGHT 30-30 in either bolt, or lever. The Marlins just seem to keep getting heavier, I'm not a big fan of the AE 94's though I have a couple, the H&R's these days are pretty heavy for a single shot......... what's a guy to do? It is such a great caliber to work with, and so versitile from 32-20 power to all you need usually. I do hear that Ruger will chamber some NO.1's this year in 30-30, and that will be a classy combination if done right, but I haven't seen any yet.

the savage 340 in 30-30 seems like a nice combo , A freind of mine got one for his wife , I got to shoot it with factory fodder , I was impressed , accurate and pleasant to shoot , easier on the shoulder than a 94, I would certainly grab one if I got a chance

Boolit Master

So long as I do my part, my Savage 340 (.30-30) will shoot sub-2" groups @ 100 yds using the Lyman 311466 over 20.5 gr of AA5744. Same load - using 8"-10" holdover - will tag the 8" gong at 200M with boring consistency. And, I suspect the gun, itself, might be capable of even better if I were to swap its old Tasco 4x32 scope - with its thick crosshairs and 1/2 MOA clicks - for a better grade of optics.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

How does one mount a scope on a 340 with its split receiver bridge? Are the receivers D&T'd on the left side at the factory for a side mount?

MJ

Boolit Master

Talking

See if you can find a Remington 788 in 30-30.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    How does one mount a scope on a 340 with its split receiver bridge? Are the receivers D&T'd on the left side at the factory for a side mount?

MJ
    Yup!! Weaver still catalogs a side mount for these and, now and then, an original will show up on Gun Broker or Auction Arms. Mine wears a Savage-marked original that cost me darn near as much as a new Weaver would have.

Bill

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    340's came set up for a Weaver , I think, side mount. It's a strange little mount and the top piece that holds the scope comes in a long and a short size.

If you can find a 340 or 840, in 30-30 buy it you won't be disapointed. Ken Waters used one in his 30-30 pet loads article and could not say enough good things about it's accuracy .

You will need to be aware that todays scopes are much larger in diameter than the ones made for the 340 rifles back in the day.

I currently have 4 340's and had to adjust the bolt handle's to clear a 3x9 scope on all of them.

Boolit Master

Try numrich for the side mount, think that's where I saw them. I have a 325b stevens i've just started shooting after putting iron sights back on it. 7 grs of unique & lee160 tl. Think a 32-20 has more recoil lol.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    See if you can find a Remington 788 in 30-30.
    Uh-huh...sure!! Been looking for five or six years and the only 788s I've found so far have either been "beaters" or - according to the seller's opinion - "collectibles" and (over)priced accordingly. Last summer, Alhman's at Waseca, MN had a really clean 788 in .30-30 tagged at $500...no scope or mounts, no spare magazine...but I was on vacation at the time and didn't want to go through the hassle (and added expense) of getting it shipped to an Illinois FFL so I didn't even make an offer to see if they were willing to haggle.

Bill

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Yes, Remington 788's are hard to find locally, and though they often shoot well, buying a 788 in 30-30 is no guarantee it will. I had one that was a tackdriver years ago, and had to sell it but have not found another that good since, and they are expensive now. I think there is a market for a bolt gun in 30-30, and 35 rem that is lighter than a Marlin lever, and accurate.

Boolit Master

I just bought a 340 locally for 200 OTD. From what I have seen so far it is a good gun....
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

+1 on the 788

Boolit Master

my 340 in 30-30

I really like my savage 340...in 30-30.....a good shooter !
    side mount with weaver 4x post scope works great.....weaver was bought from Ken on this site ....
    trigger is sharp but stiff....no creep
    very light,,,can be carried all day
    photo is at 100 yards using #311291 at about 1700-1800 fps
    Last edited by atr; 09-30-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    I owned several 340s and sad to say do not have one today. The most accuratete factory gun out of the box I ever owned was a 340 in 22 Hornet. I literally drove tacks with it at 50 yards and it would shoot sub half inch groups at 100 yards. Like a fool I sold it to get something else. All the others I have owned in 222 rem, 223 rem and 30-30 all shot more than exceptably but that 22 hornet was exceptional.

Boolit Buddy
    The local ad rag has a Husqvarna 30-30 single shot bolt listed for about $350. I had never heard of this gun so I searched on Google and Cabelas site came up with one for $600+. Interesting.
    223tenx
    Pete in WV

Boolit Master
    I have a side mount or two that will fit a 340 if anyone is interested.

How Much????

Quote Originally Posted by flounderman View Post
    I have a side mount or two that will fit a 340 if anyone is interested.
    I have a 325 and from what I have read I only need to have it drilled and tapped.

IM me.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 223tenx View Post
    The local ad rag has a Husqvarna 30-30 single shot bolt listed for about $350. I had never heard of this gun so I searched on Google and Cabelas site came up with one for $600+. Interesting.
    Sounds like a deal, looked at guns America and the cheapest I found was $650 up to $2700 + . Didn't find s 30-30 but a 270, 7mm mauser and a few other chamberings.

Boolit Master
    I have the Stevens 325 and love it, recently put a Williams aperture sight on it, very accurate with several cast, but it really shines with Lyman # 311466 Loverin.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    Its amazing that those 340s shoot accurately with the way the action and barrel are in the stock. I can't imagine having only a single action bolt ala cheap 22 bolt gun, and a piece of sheetmetal wrapped around the barrel with a screw up through the forend! Winchester did almost as poorly with the Model 88 lever action.

Yes, Remington made the 788 in 30-30 and 44mag. Savage also made their pumpgun 170 in 30-30 and 35-Rem, and the model 219 break-open singleshot. I WOULD buy a 219 if I ran across a decent one. I DO have a Savage 99 in 30-30, a barrel band carbine, and had a 1899A Short Rifle rebored/rechambered to 38-55. THAT is a fabulous cast bullet hunting rifle!

Winchester made the Model 54, predecessor to the Model 70, in 30 Wcf, but they seem to be a might $$.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast