WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationADvertise hereTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Site benefit - #0/#4 and #00/#0000 Morgan Molds

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Bushwack has had the moulds since the 17th and I suspect that another week or ten days will be ready to send them on to the next in line..

Waiting to hear from sheepdog and/or Bulletlube.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

CEO/CFO GunLoads Gunload Master's Avatar
    I recieved a donation from Bulletlube! Thank you!
    Last edited by Gunload Master; 10-09-2010 at 08:22 PM.
    http://GunLoads.com

Become a Supporting Member by joining TEAM BOOLITS!

I sent the molds off to bulletlube on Monday, I also sent a pm to Bob with the confirmation number.

Bushwack

Received the molds and had my first casting session today. I would agree with most of what Suo Gan had to say. As for myself I'm happy with what I am getting. Like 45nut said cast a lot and put rejects back into the pot. The only thing I did different was to leave a very large sprue. That worked for me, remember everyone does things a little different what works for one person might not work for the next. If you want perfect little round balls these might not be the molds for you. With a large sprue all I had to do was open the handles and tap the hinge pin and they would fall right out. I had a better fit with RCBS handles than the Lees that I have.

Watch for two new round ball mould benefit actions in the next week or two.

The Professor has donated a #00B/0000B steel mould for us to use for a site and/or 45nut benefit.

The Professor has been kind enough to also try to repair and upgrade the two "Morgan Molds" round ball moulds.

I have the steel mould in my hand now and am wanting to wait for the arrival of the two Morgan Molds to publish all the details.

I will be starting a new thread with a similar title shortly after the first of the year.

Many thanks to Cap'n Morgan and to The Professor!

Bob

EDIT: I have no idea how I made the mistake but the professor's mould is aluminum - NOT steel. this is for your information only, I usually like aluminum moulds more than the steel ones. Sorry guys.

Three moulds will be available for "rent", will post more in a new thread soon.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Krack; 01-03-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: as shown
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm in for the 00 buckshot mold. that sounds great.
    Cast Bullet info
    http://www.castpics.net/

Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Buddy
    How many cavities? I might be interested in the OO and OOO.

Boolit Master

Will be watching for this too.

Merry Christmas!

Vendor Sponsor

I would like to rent the "00" mold. Please put me on the list. PM me if I forget to check this thread

Boolit Master
    These molds look like a good way to lay in slugging material.

The first of the professer's molds is going out this week to Wiljen. As soon as the second and the first two originals are available I will be starting a new thread.

Willjen was the first to reply followed by dieguy59, crawfobj, and randyrat.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by dieguy59 View Post
    How many cavities? I might be interested in the OO and OOO.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=139058 will show you the cavity count and configuration.

Many thanks to Keith (professer).

Bob

Moderator Emeritus

I sent Ken my $15 donation. I have not received the mold yet. Do you have a tracking # on it?
    Cast Bullet info

Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    I sent Ken my $15 donation. I have not received the mold yet. Do you have a tracking # on it?
    I have not received notification from Ken yet. BUT, Will, I am not waiting on that.

I have the signature confirmation number for you and it is is 9121 9690 1038 3055 4754 84.

Sorry for the delay.

I want to thank you very much for all you have done and are doing for the site.

Bob

Moderator Emeritus

No problem, I just wanted to make sure the PO hadnt lost it. We've had a few things go MIA and I'd hate to see that happen.
    Cast Bullet info

Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    No problem, I just wanted to make sure the PO hadnt lost it. We've had a few things go MIA and I'd hate to see that happen.
    Thank you sir, I am requesting to all that the mould(s) be sent on using a "Signature Confirmation" so we will have proof (as much as possible) that someone received and then that they actually sent it(them) on.

I am a little on the slow side "gettin round to'it" but it is for a good cause and I just have troubles sometimes getting things done in a timely manner.

Thanks again,

Bob

Boolit Master

All -

Sorry it has taken me this long to touch base here. I've had the Morgan molds for a couple of months - far longer than I intended - but I've finally gotten around to working on them. The alignment pins and pinholes were pretty well beat up. I realigned the halves and drilled and reamed them as a unit on the vertical milling machine. Then I fired up the lathe and made some pins similar to the ones Lee uses in their six cavity molds.

I didn't want to put much stress on the molds by having too tight an interference fit so I made the pins 0.001" oversize. I've got them pressed in, fitted up, and faced off on the outside but I'm not satisfied with the pin tension.

Given that these molds are rather petite and that they will be used as rental items, I am going to cross drill and tap each pin from the end then put in a setscrew threaded into the block and pin both.

The picture below shows the mold blocks after drilling and reaming but before pressing in the pins.

I expect to have these ready to send back to Bob in the next week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ball_mold_rebuild1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	40796  

Keith,
    I believe that anyone following this thread and most anybody that knows what is going on will and would say a great big "THANK YOU".

I suppose anyone not satisfied with the speed with you have so graciously donated can just ask for their money back. HeeeHawww.

Thank you Keith,

Bob

Moderator Emeritus

I signed for the mold today and picked it up from the PO. Will be using it this weekend.
    Cast Bullet info

Moderator Emeritus

Cast 20 lbs of buckshot tonight. Thing works great. gonna try for 200 lbs total before I send it on.
    Cast Bullet info

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast