RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingADvertise here
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Site benefit - #0/#4 and #00/#0000 Morgan Molds

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?

Site benefit - #0/#4 and #00/#0000 Morgan Molds

Cap'n Morgan mold rental

I will finally have the moulds together in one package by June 15th. They are being shipped to 45nut for his use and he will be shipping them out to the next in line.

Two custom made Morgan Molds, one casts 14 #4 Buck and 10 #0 Buck. The other casts 9 #00 and 8 #0000 buck.

Handles are not included but the metric hex head wrench and a sprue cutting clipper (sometimes not needed) are included as is a wooden "pushing" rod that can be used to help push the casting out of the mould if needed.

They require either the RCBS or 6-cavity Lee handles. Other handles might work - I just know those two do work.

I am asking for a donation of $15.00 or more to the site for the use of the moulds.

They are shipping in a USPS Small Flat Rate box. I am requesting your agreement to ship using the USPS "Signature Confirmation". If you ship via any other carrier, please verify that tracking and signature confirmation will be provided.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Currently on the list... Please verify and others are welcome to add their name.

badge176
    bushwack
    sheepdog
    Bulletlube

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Buddy

"on that list!"

Badge176 sounding off! Yes I am still interested! PM me with the details

Boolit Master
    Cool way to generate a little money for the site! Put me on the list too please.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Suo Gan View Post
    Cool way to generate a little money for the site! Put me on the list too please.
    Got ya there. It's been lots of fun and just a tiny bit of grief. Hopefully it's all happy times from here on out.

The current list is:

badge176 - confirmed and waiting
    bushwack - confirmed and waiting
    sheepdog - requested
    Bulletlube - requested
    Suo Gan - waiting

The moulds are in Montana or Oregon or in transit from Montana to Oregon.

I will update as soon as possible.

Bob

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

I got the molds recently and this morning set about trying them,, my experience:

Get handles on both sets,, these molds hold heat and swapping and keeping both molds going is the only way.

Take your time and dont rush. they will eat a lot of metal due to the large center channel sprues so keep an ample supply of metal nearby.

Dont leave large sprue puddles on the top,, dime or nickle size at best worked best for me.

There will be rejects, so what, you can cast as many as you want to make up for that and use the rejects or remelt them.

I will try again in the AM to go through another 20lb pot and then these are on the way to badge176

I wish I had a set for myself, I can see how these would be very useful.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

As Ken mentions, they are about ready to ship, are you still out there badge176?

A few more days and it will be on to "bushwack".

Bob

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up Yes

Badge176 sounding off!

I'm in! PM me with what you need...

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up molds in hand!

Nifty packaging! Very nice set, I have to work all weekend (all that "Protect and Serve" stuff!), but I'm gonna take off a day to run these like a fiend to stock up some buck.

Bushwack,

You are next, badge176 will let us know the approximate shipping date in the next week or two.

Bob

Don't know if I lost track or jumping the gun. I have only been able to contact "Suo Gan" so they are going to him and he will send them to the next person on the list (before him) that is confirmed by Willy.

In this and in all future cases, please choose to benefit EITHER the site OR to benefit "45nut" as you prefer.

Site benefit contact information is:
    Gun Loads
    C/O Cast Boolits
    P.O. BOX 2732
    Pocatello, ID 83206

PayPal E-mail address is: payment@gunloads.com

If you prefer to benefit "45nut" personally please PM him for his mailing address.

Thanks to all of you.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Krack; 09-29-2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: removed gpal message.

Suo Gan has the moulds now.... Bushwack is next... Are you there Bushwack?

Bob

Bushwack is here and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by bushwack View Post
    Bushwack is here and ready.
    Gotcha,
    Send me your mailing address and I will forward it to Suo.... (for my records also).

Bob

Boolit Master
    I Have spoken with Bob a couple of times the past few weeks and have recently received the molds. Let me first say that Bob is a gentlemen! But I have mixed reviews about the molds. So, in the interest of informing others and not just passing the buck I feel obligated to tell my tale about the Morgan Molds. After having cast about twenty pounds of alloy into those buggers, I found that Ken is right. There must be an extremely small sprue. And they do hold heat so you need to pace yourself and watch your pot temp carefully. Yes the volume is definitely there, but the quality of the balls is not. Some of the larger balls will break from the center casting upon ejection from the hot mold (which is a good thing!), many of the larger ones can be torqued off the center casting with your fingers (which is a good thing!) when they cool and a very clean sprue cut will result. But the vast majority of them will need to be cut with the altered side cutters Bob has included with the kit. Cutting the larger sizes needs to be done carefully, and fairly good results about like what you expect from a traditional mold with a sprue cutter will result. The smaller sizes (#0 and #4B) when cut will leave an oblong ball. I will need to test pattern them, but after tediously cutting five pounds of them, I began to realize that it would be much cheaper to go out and pay what the factory wants for their shot. I'd say I had about half and half rejects out of the batch. You can get good usable shot from the larger sizes, and it makes it seem as though you are really cookin with hog lard when you compare the math between one and two cavity molds, but when your your rejection rate and the time is taken into account, it is much better economy to just cast the larger sizes with a traditional ball mold with a sprue cutter, and BUY your #4 shot. I can see why this style mold is not made by any major manufacturer. The fit and finish of the Morgan molds is about as good as a Do-It sinker mold to say it in a word "crude" comes to mind. I am sorry if there are hurt feelings over any of what I have said. I know Bob is not making a cent off this deal. This is one mans opinion. Don't want to get into an argument about it either. Just consider it opinion and keep it at that.

Will be sending them to next in line ASAP!

Thank you Sir,

Your observations are appreciated. Wisht more had given better appraisals of the usefulness of the moulds.

Thank you for the kind words.

Some will love them, some will only be able to say - "Oh well, the donation went to my favorite site (or at least ONE of my favorites)."

Bob

CEO/CFO GunLoads Gunload Master's Avatar
    I did recieve a donation from Bushwack as well! Thank you!
    http://GunLoads.com

Become a Supporting Member by joining TEAM BOOLITS!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Krack View Post
    Thank you Sir,

Your observations are appreciated. Wisht more had given better appraisals of the usefulness of the moulds.

Thank you for the kind words.

Some will love them, some will only be able to say - "Oh well, the donation went to my favorite site (or at least ONE of my favorites)."

Bob
    You are a gentleman and a scholar Bob! Sending them on to Bushwack.

CEO/CFO GunLoads Gunload Master's Avatar
    I did recieve a donation from Suo Gan as well! Thank you!
    http://GunLoads.com

Become a Supporting Member by joining TEAM BOOLITS!

In response to Suo Gan's appraisal to the Morgan molds - I truly appreciate his candor.

In Cap'n Morgan's defense I must say that I personally much prefer aluminum moulds to MOST steel moulds. RCBS works terrific for me - out of 6 Lyman moulds, one casts good for me. ALL my Ohaus moulds work perfectly, my Nei aluminium moulds work fine.

Never cast with brass moulds, and don't know if'n I ever used Mehenite moulds.

If ya wanna try the Morgan Molds and truly do not like aluminum molds - ya prolly wanna pass. If aluminum moulds work good for you, the Morgan Molds might work good too.

No matter. I offered the rental and Cap'n Morgan assisted by donating the second mould - to help the site.

I hope I am gettting the point across that I DO appreciate ALL criticism, constructive or otherwise and I think Suo Gan's criticism was right on for him and his expectations, time availability, and financial position.

Myself, I got lots of time but not much dollars. I will gladly spend hours and hours casting boolits and shot, as much to while away the hours as to save money.

In closing, thank you Suo Gan (and 45nut) for your excellent and honest reviews of the Morgan Molds.

Bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast