RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: .308 and 30-06 loads with Trail Boss Powder

Boolit Buddy

.308 and 30-06 loads with Trail Boss Powder

Just phoned IMR/Hodgdon people for suggested load data for Trail Boss Powder in .308 Win and 30-06 springfield cartridges. I was told they had not developed any suggested loads yet, so no help from them. I had noticed in the IMR 2006 powder pamphlet that you could use start load of 6.5 grains Trail Boss in 30-30 Win with 160 grain cast FN bullets. When I asked man at IMR/Hodgdon if I could adapt the 30-30 Win data and use 6 grains of Trail Boss in .308 Win, told Trail Boss is a whole new technology powder and does not act like other powders. So, for safety/liability reasons IMR/Hodgdon person could not help me.

So, I'm curious if anyone has tried Trail Boss powder in .308Win or 30-06 cartridges using 115 or 165 grain cast bullets. If so, what were your loads?

My records indicate;

13.1 gr Trail Boss under Lyman 311291 (170 gr sized at .309) about 1310 fps in my '03 Springfield in .30-06.

I called them too.

The guy told me that they didn't like to load TB into shouldered cases. I asked him why they had data for .30-30 and he said .30-30 was almost like a straight walled case.

That was curious to me, since .30-30 has a shoulder that looks a lot like .30-06.

Maybe part of it is because there aren't many of us CB shooters in 30-06.

YMMV.

I'm using 9 grains of Trail Boss in my Mark #4 303 Brit.

180 Gr cast bullet ww

Remington LR primer
    Remington cases

I'm using the 650 yard sight /slide setting for a 50 yard zero

It recoils like a .22, accuracy is as good or better then anything else I've tried in this gun.

It has a .316 bore.

Boolit Mold
    I have had good luck in 7.62x54r with 10 gr of Trail Boss under a 180 gr cast from Wheel Weights.

This weekend I plan to try basicaly the same load in 8x57 and see what happens.

I tried the trail boss load for my .30-30, and was very underwhelmed. I didn't even bother shooting all of them. They shot about a foot low(or more), and patterned(not grouped) about like I imagine one of those 20 gauge derringers would. :takinWiz: Trail Boss for rifles!

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    9 gr for me with up to a 200 gr bullet. You could probably go to 14 or 15 gr safely but past 10 or so you might strip the bullet.

Boolit Master
    When I asked man at IMR/Hodgdon if I could adapt the 30-30 Win data and use 6 grains of Trail Boss in .308 Win, told Trail Boss is a whole new technology powder and does not act like other powders. So, for safety/liability reasons IMR/Hodgdon person could not help me.
    Hodgdon is absolutely terrible when it comes to answering specific questions on load data. They need to take lessons from Alliant in this area.

Mike

Boolit Buddy
    The funny part about them saying it should not be used in bottleneck cases is that they now list a 30-06 loading for Trail Boss on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    Hodgdon is absolutely terrible when it comes to answering specific questions on load data. They need to take lessons from Alliant in this area.

Mike
    Amen!
    They told me I could fill ANY case to the base of the bullet. I think I had 16 or 17 grains in a 45/70. Members here reminded me it was Red Dottish burning rate.

Called them about rifle powders in 12FH cases and they near had heart failure.