RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 45-45-10 Tumble lube for production

Vendor Sponsor

Moonie,
    I just ordered a Lee 452 230TC with standard grooves. Going to try casting a few for my son's 45.
    It is this mold that caused me to ask the question.
    Thanks and have a good 'un, Guy
    Are you in need a pan lube cutter?
    I make custom made cutters in a cutting size of your choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please click on the link below . You will find a thread to post your order. Thank you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...31#post2827331

Support our troops...they are somebody's kids!

Boolit Master

I like the mold and the boolits are great feeders in me and my sons 1911's. I seat them so just a sliver of the side is showing and check in the barrel, fit is perfect. Now that I have Mihec's 200gr HP I don't know how many I will be casting and shooting however. Perhaps its time I got that son a furnace and gave the mold to him.

Bump! Any word on when we may see this product? I've been using 45-45-10 with good results, and would be happy to buy it ready to use.
    Turning money into noise, since 1970

Boolit Man
    Made a batch of 45/45/10 a couple days ago and when I looked this morning,it was serperated with a darker fluid on the top,maybe 20%. Does this need more cooking? btw,I added about a teaspoon of carnauba flakes during the cooking process.
    A friend gave me a 16 cup rice cooker about 2 years ago. I live alone and have never figured out what I would do with that much rice. 45/45/10 was it's trial by fire. Cooked the JPW down to about 1/3 of original.

I bought a Lee Tl358-158-swc mold for use in my S&W model 19 and my Colt police positive special. When I cast my first boolits they measured only .3565-.357, I was afraid to try them because I was convinced that they would lead my barrel. Before I had a chance to lap the mold cavities I decided to try them, I really wanted to go shooting. I lubed them with this recipe and loaded 50 of them to see what happens. Guess what, no lead in the barrel. Since then I've shot about 500 of them and still no lead in the barrel. The lube must be working because these boolits are definitely undersized. As far as I'm concerned this is a great lube.

Banner Sponsor

Hello everybody.

I am sorry this has taken so long to get done. It is not how I normally like to do business, or anything.
    I've been dealing with some health issues since Janurary that are making it hard to get much accomplished. The VA health care system is a little slow, but I hope we are getting closer to a fix.
    Please nobody freakout, I'm not dying tomorrow.

I am making some progress on the 45-45-10, it's just taken a back seat for a little while.
    I've been working on a Non-Alox version that is looking very promissing. It will need to be heated to about 150F before applying, but it dries in 3-4 hours.
    What do you guys think of haveing to heat it first? I can put it in Aluminum bottles.

i use the mix and mine ( or rather my fav & best batch) is a wee bit ummm chunky cold ( blood pudding glob type ) warmed is great ! or at least pretty thin , i also warm my boolits and together with both being warm dry time is fairly fast , not sure how warm it is tho as i let it set in very hot tap water until liquefied but it's hotter than a baby bottle would be and hot enough i dont hang on to it very long ,the castings i put in a tin can under a regular desk lamp type light ( fairly close ) cant hold onto them for long either lolz

a non alox version does sound interesting at least to me

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Centaur 1 View Post
    I bought a Lee Tl358-158-swc mold for use in my S&W model 19 and my Colt police positive special. When I cast my first boolits they measured only .3565-.357, I was afraid to try them because I was convinced that they would lead my barrel. Before I had a chance to lap the mold cavities I decided to try them, I really wanted to go shooting. I lubed them with this recipe and loaded 50 of them to see what happens. Guess what, no lead in the barrel. Since then I've shot about 500 of them and still no lead in the barrel. The lube must be working because these boolits are definitely undersized. As far as I'm concerned this is a great lube.

I've got the same mold in 2 cavity. I tried running them thru the Lee .358 sizer and many of them didn't even touch.

I lubed them with this lube and I did get a little bit of leading in a model 19. What load are you using? I loaded mine with Unique in .38 brass at the starting load listed with my dies. I believe it was 4.0 grains of unique. They felt like mousefarts and the accuracy wasn't great.

I plan on beagling/lapping my mold out to get them so they're dropping at .358 or slightly lighter then run them thru the .358 sizer.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post

I am making some progress on the 45-45-10, it's just taken a back seat for a little while.
    I've been working on a Non-Alox version that is looking very promissing. It will need to be heated to about 150F before applying, but it dries in 3-4 hours.
    What do you guys think of haveing to heat it first? I can put it in Aluminum bottles.
    I think you could revolutionize the tumble-lubing industry, if not the lube industry in general.

Think about it: A tumble-lube that works as well as traditional stick lube, but no lubesizer needed?

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry to hear about your health issues Glenn, wish you the best.
    Heating the lube a little will be no problem alot of us do this already, the aluminum bottles sound interesting.
    I have several friends that dislike the smell of alox so a "alox free" version would appeal to them, some of them have switched to rooster jacket to avoid the smell of alox.
    Keep us posted.

Boolit Master

I have a hot water kettle for making coffee in my french press. My normal procedure for my 45/45/10 is to heat the water to boiling, put the container in a coffee cup and pour the water over it, wait 5 min or so and lube. Comes out like water. I put it in spout down, have had issues with the spout being clogged unless I did it spout down (closed of course)

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
    I've got the same mold in 2 cavity. I tried running them thru the Lee .358 sizer and many of them didn't even touch.

I lubed them with this lube and I did get a little bit of leading in a model 19. What load are you using? I loaded mine with Unique in .38 brass at the starting load listed with my dies. I believe it was 4.0 grains of unique. They felt like mousefarts and the accuracy wasn't great.

I plan on beagling/lapping my mold out to get them so they're dropping at .358 or slightly lighter then run them thru the .358 sizer.
    I'm using 3.8 grains of bullseye, also in .38 brass. I coat the boolits with lube, dry, then coat a second time. These loads seem somewhat light in the 19, but in the colt the trigger guard slams my middle finger pretty hard.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Centaur 1 View Post
    I'm using 3.8 grains of bullseye, also in .38 brass. I coat the boolits with lube, dry, then coat a second time. These loads seem somewhat light in the 19, but in the colt the trigger guard slams my middle finger pretty hard.

I was planning on some bullseye for the next test of those boolits. I'll have to try some out of my Taurus 851 snub as well.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Glenn, sorry to hear about your health issues, and I can relate to how slow the VA is. I for one would love to try a non alox formula. I just made a batch of 45-45-10 last weekend and it works great, and I would imagine the non would be as good or better. I have to heat mine anyway (hot tap water) so the heat shouldn't be an issue to terribly different to overcome. On another note, I just got one of your "2 stick of each" sample packs of lube off of ebay and am looking for ward to trying it on my .30 boolits. Thanks for the great service!

Boolit Mold
    I vote for "LLL." Lars Liquid Lube. Or you could even call it "Triple L" or "Triple L lube"

Boolit Master

Ok, I think this is getting away from the original idea of a production 45/45/10. I am enjoying using 45/45/10 and I may or may not speak for others when I say we were looking forward to not having to make it from scratch. I thought this was the entire idea of this thread. If you are going to create a lube without the Alox that is great however this would be a lube other than what this thread is about.

Not trying to be difficult, just my thoughts on it, doesn't mean I wouldn't try it, just pointing out that something other than 45/45/10 is different than what has been discussed up to this point.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Ok, I think this is getting away from the original idea of a production 45/45/10. I am enjoying using 45/45/10 and I may or may not speak for others when I say we were looking forward to not having to make it from scratch. I thought this was the entire idea of this thread. If you are going to create a lube without the Alox that is great however this would be a lube other than what this thread is about.

Not trying to be difficult, just my thoughts on it, doesn't mean I wouldn't try it, just pointing out that something other than 45/45/10 is different than what has been discussed up to this point.
    Disagree.

Up until (possibly) now, if you wanted to tumble lube, your options were limited as to what you could lube with in order to obtain predictable and consistent results with each batch of boolits you lubed.

Lee was definitely on to something with the LLA, however I never bought Richard Lee's claims that Liquid Alox was the end-all, be-all of boolit lubes. I especially never bought the part about it removing lead from the bore and the inference that leading was all but impossible when using LLA.

By itself, as a single ingredient, administered per Lee's instructions, I've found LLA to have some shortcomings--especially as you increase the pressure and velocity of the boolit. Then there is the number one complaint that it never fully dries, is tacky as hell, and gums up your seating die.

When I started adding JPW to LLA and then blending mineral spirits as needed for viscosity depending on the ambient temperature at the time of lubing, I found I was able to significantly reduce, if not eliminate outright the negative traits of straight alox. Conversely, I was able to take the positives and make them even more so.

This is what Glenn is working for and working to achieve.

I am not married to any one single ingredient in any single boolit lube. Rather, I'm married to the objective of having consistently superb accuracy, no leading and ease of application.

If Glenn is close to launching such a formula that is as easy to use as the 45/45/10 and surpasses all the positive attributes of 45/45/10, it would be a no-brainer to go with it.

Wow Recluse, that was great in what you just posted. I have been following the progress of this thread for awhile. Like others, I would love to purchase a product that has been dicussed here or something better for my tumble lubing session.

Thank you for being honest and upfront. I am still pretty new to all of this, but I suspect, if I hang out here long enough....I just might learn something.

My current lifestyle has put considerable time constraints and makes some things difficult to do.

Whether the final product is the original formula or something better, I am ready to put my name in the hat. What I like, is that a product is being developed by casters for casters and for me that is great.

You and Glen, keep up the great work. Its encouraging to me.

Lonerider

Boolit Master

Recluse, you misunderstand, I'm all in favor of something that works better and would probably use it. My point is that this thread was about a commercial version of the 45/45/10 which lots of use use and like.

I don't see how you can disagree with my point that the subject of this thread has changed from what it was originally.

I understand and agree that advancement is the goal we all strive for when it comes to lubes.

I do look forward to having a tumble lube available commercially that surpasses the 45/45/10 recipe.

Boolit Bub
    I swear by 45/45/10 but if there's something better out there put me down for a bottle. I'm definitely interested.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast