RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Threads for Lyman 310/Tru-Line Jr?

Boolit Buddy

Threads for Lyman 310/Tru-Line Jr?

Been using my Tru-Line Jr for 40+ years on 5 diff sizes, and love it. Just got an old set of dies for 38-55 & didn't realize threads were boogered; ran them in tight so now I have bad threads on the dies AND the turret plate. Any idea where I'd get male & female thread chasers in this weird size? Or someone who can clean them up? Was thinking of using a scrap die as a thread chaser, ditto lock ring, but not sure how to do it.

Boolit Master
    google the 310 shop seems I read a thread here a year or so ago and a fella had the same problem and they took care of him pronto!

Odd thread size and most lathe's will not cut it.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, HeavyMetal, I'll check it out.

Banned
    310 threads are an odd size; 5/8"-30 tpi

Ken

30tpi, yes --- but I think they are actually .610 or 39/64ths not 5/8" -- a truely proprietory thread.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavogrande View Post
    30tpi, yes --- but I think they are actually .610 or 39/64ths not 5/8" -- a truely proprietory thread.
    +1 Pavogrande. If you are making dies, it's important to make them .609-.610" so they will actually go into the handle or turret hole. Some lathes will make a 30 tpi thread, but it isn't all that common. For the handle or turret, the special tap is just about a necessity, but I would probably open up the major diameter to a full 5/8" just to make it smoother. JMHO, YMMV!

Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info, guys. These threads are not only weird, but extremely fragile: heavy steel dies with very fine threads shipped & stored in the little unseparated cardboard box are just asking for trouble. Makes me wonder if having a tap & die pair made would be worth it, considering all the other folks I've met with the same beef who'd want to bororw it.

Or you can do like I did and retap the top plate for 7/8 X 14.
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman .. . Neither works.

Women always say that giving birth is way more painful than a guy getting kicked in the nuts.There is no way to prove that they are wrong.

But a year or so after giving birth a woman will often say "It would be nice to have another child".

You never hear a guy say, "It would be nice to get kicked in the nuts again".

Boolit Buddy
    Special Taps are available, including a 5/8 x 30. But if you use a 5/8 tap, won't the reloading die be a little loose and not properly aligned?

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, Firebird; prices don't look bad; I think I'll go for it. As Green Frog says, looser is probably better, especially as I've got dies with bunged-up threads too. At least I can hand-file male threads to clean 'em up. I actually have a 7/8-14 plate for the press, and use it with several standard die sets, but also want to keep using my "antique" dies in ancient calibers.
    Hey, if it's easy, it's no darn fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Hogpost View Post
    Thanks, Firebird; prices don't look bad; I think I'll go for it. As Green Frog says, looser is probably better, especially as I've got dies with bunged-up threads too. At least I can hand-file male threads to clean 'em up. I actually have a 7/8-14 plate for the press, and use it with several standard die sets, but also want to keep using my "antique" dies in ancient calibers.
    Hey, if it's easy, it's no darn fun!
    Hey, I have made a career of doing things the hard way. I finally got over that and realized I could get a lot more done by doing it simply.
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman .. . Neither works.

Women always say that giving birth is way more painful than a guy getting kicked in the nuts.There is no way to prove that they are wrong.

But a year or so after giving birth a woman will often say "It would be nice to have another child".

You never hear a guy say, "It would be nice to get kicked in the nuts again".