Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: welding help

Boolit Master at heavens range

welding help

What does tinsel strenght mean in welding, Like .035 wire and 110 wire tinsel strenght, Can that be done with .035 wire, Thanks- JOe

Banned
    I think tinsel strength has something to do with how aggressively you can decorate your Christmas tree.

I deal with sticks not wire but 6011 is like 60,000 lb TENSILE strength and 7018 is like 70,00 lbs of strength.

Boolit Master

7018 is a common electrode and will handle all kinds of projects.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

the strength of the rod or wire for welding is base of the amount of carbon in it.Like 6011 rod is all around rod that has be use of steel with rust on it and mild stell. 6013 can be use the same way . 7018 is for high strengh steel.You need to have clean steel .You can also use it for some cast. But you need to do some preheating. As for wire youhave gasless wire and then you have the one you need a gas of certain kind for welding and that help with the strenght of the wire.But over all for the tensile strenght is all depend the rod & wire you use and the one that dose the welding.As for .035 for wire is the size of the wire.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    The tensile strength helps to determine what wire to use for an application.

If this is for your mortar project then Er70S should work just fine.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master

ive found 6011 is a very easy rod to weld with, but then again my welds look like something that came out from underneath a chicken roost. i can manage to stick to peices of metal together tho.

Banned
    I use 6011 for general purpose rod, 7018 for stuff I intend to be mean with. As far as 6013.........I find it pertnear useless. I must confess to no formal training, just 25+ years of doing it and watching somone else do it. I also have a miller dc portable machine and prefer P5 for most general fixes with that rig. Running the miller after you have run the old red lincoln buzzbox makes you feel like a pro.

I also use nickel/stainless/ and certanium rods for some of the more exotic creations/repairs, but 6011 does 95% of my needs.

Boolit Master

Question welding

what are you weldihg? that will decide the proper wire to use.
    skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

Boolit Master at heavens range
    welding chrome moly argon weld tank tube to a 6inby6in. piece of 1018, using wire welder, bowling ball mortar.

Boolit Buddy
    Lose the wire welder and borrow a stick welder to do this with. Steer clear of the 110v stick welders, too.

Buy a couple pounds of stick, whichever flavor you prefer, and practice with most of it, then do your weld. Or buy a sixpack for a friend that can weld.
    This going inside the bore? Consider just gluing it in place. Cant go farther in than in. Make the parts a decent fit, and glue in place with a couple packages of JB Weld or similar.
    Outside? Weld it.

A 110v wire feed welder really works best for very light sheet material, like auto body panels or thin plate and angle. Good for patching up the lawnmower. Not so much, for attaching anything heavy.

Cheers
    Trev

Banned
    tevj speaks the truth. A wire welder or a 110 stick welder is not the tool I would trust to build something that is going to contain a small explosion(no penetration to the weld). A 220 stick welder delivering a penetrating weld into a well prepped and beveled "ditch" on the root pass and followed up with a good grind and a well laced 2nd pass are what I would use, but thats just me. See if you can find a welder who has done work on a pipeline, as any pipeline welder worth his weight in empty miller light cans can do it for you faster than most can think about it.

while google is sometimes not my friend if u add wiki in front of what ur searching for remember to take a grain of salt along

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensile_strength

" There are three definitions of tensile strength:
    Yield strength
    The stress at which material strain changes from elastic deformation to plastic deformation, causing it to deform permanently.
    Ultimate strength
    The maximum stress a material can withstand when subjected to tension, compression or shearing. It is the maximum stress on the stress-strain curve.
    Breaking strength
    The stress coordinate on the stress-strain curve at the point of rupture."

Boolit Master

welding

wow thats a seriuos job you got there. being certified in pipe and plate aluminum stainless and steel. i suggest you get a pro to do it or advise you before you blow yourself up. that little 110v mig won't do the job with the info you posted, i won't say how to do it because i can only go by what i read. be informed before you do this ask a pro just to look at it and give his advice.

skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

Banned
    After seeing your other thread on this same subject I have a Suggestion:

Drive around to all the local bars on a thur or fri evening until you see a flatbed truck with a portable lincoln/miller welder hooked to it.

Go up to the truck turn the key on the welder and push the little silver button to start it.

Stand there and wait for the irate man to come running out of the bar.

When he gets done beating you senseless go buy him a beer and then propose your situation to him....he will fix ya right up.

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    After seeing your other thread on this same subject I have a Suggestion:

Drive around to all the local bars on a thur or fri evening until you see a flatbed truck with a portable lincoln/miller welder hooked to it.

Go up to the truck turn the key on the welder and push the little silver button to start it.

Stand there and wait for the irate man to come running out of the bar.

When he gets done beating you senseless go buy him a beer and then propose your situation to him....he will fix ya right up.
    thanx for the grin amigo ( ok ok it was more than a grin lolz )