RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 92: An observation...

Rossi 92: An observation...

As a regular reader of this forum, I'm noticing a LOT of folks have been experiencing problems with the Rossi 92 lately. So my question is: does anyone have a good one? Or is this a classic case of "You get what you pay for?"
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Boolit Buddy
    SR Custom............ i have worked on many a 92 and seems to me that the biggest problem is that some one tries to make it better and it turns out worse////// they are a simple gun to work on once you learn how ///////// another problem that i have found about them is the ammo that is trying to be fed thru them some will feed just about anything and some can be cantankerous and you need to find the best nose shape and length for that particular gun/// and this does not just apply to the rossi brand
    mule

Boolit Master

I really like my Rossi 92 in .357 except for the 30" twist but I don't think that is a problem for most folks. As long as the velocity is kept up with magnum loads it will give acceptable levergun accuracy(2" groups @50 yds and 4-5" @100 yds). I like to shoot a lot of .38 spl loads and again they are great out to 50 yds but have stabilization problems at 100 due to the lower velocity. The gun is over-sprung which causes it to feel rougher than it really is. If a fellow clips a coil or two off the ejector spring and mainspring along with decreasing the width of the trigger return spring they smooth up really nice. You can also get spring kits for about $20-$25 and replace the aforementioned springs instead.
    I have put a couple thousand rounds through mine in the past year with no mechanical problems at all. I think they are one of the better values out there in centerfire leverguns. A friend bought a Marlin 94c about 6 mos before I got the Rossi. Right out of the box it would not feed cartridges and had about a 7 lb. trigger, he had to send it back to Marlin to get it to work so paying an additional $200 is no guarantee. 92's are addictive, buy the gun for about $450, the DVD from Steves guns along with an hour or two of work and you will have a nice sooth levergun for less than a hundred more.
    http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.ph...&products_id=2
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

I had a few rough/shape edges internally but once smoothed up I've been happy with mine for the last 20 years.

Boolit Buddy
    Junior who is a member here has a rossi 92 in 357 that is like 30-40 years old and loves it. I have a much newer one in 454 Casull and like it very much even tho I haven't shot it a lot. It's more "slick" than my Marlin 1894 in 41 mag. The Rossi has fed everything I've put in it so far both 45 Colts and 454 Casulls.

Tom

Moderator Emeritus

I have one in 44 mag with the Puma medallion and it shoots well. I am not foolish enough to shoot it without a pad but it groups OK and feeds 44 mag & special cases with the 429421 & the Lee 310 RF.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I have two older models in 45 Colt that work with my Lee 265 fn cast in 50-50.
    Probably like any rifle there are those Monday Morning assemblies that have a few rough spots. But my guess is we read about ALL the bad ones and seldom about the good ones.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    The rifle in my avitar is just about the cheapest rifle I hav ever owned and just about the best. Never missed a beat (apart from me never checking the screws and it falling apart on one shoot ) and feeds anything. I have a 44mag stainless as well, no probs with that, thought I have never used it much.

Great guns, a bit rough around the edges at times, but great.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I have one in 44 mag with the Puma medallion and it shoots well. I am not foolish enough to shoot it without a pad but it groups OK and feeds 44 mag & special cases with the 429421 & the Lee 310 RF.
    As usual MT Gianni and I are on the same page. I broke the firing pin in mine and ended up making a new tip like we did on the original Winchesters back in the day. It has a sharp edge here and there (loading gate) and I think the front sight is junk, but it's smooth, light, accurate and handy. I want a 357, actually I want 5 or 6 357's, but I never see any around. I like the 92 action better than the Marlin 94 action for this class of cartridges. No reason why, just do. But I wouldn't turn up my nose at a Marlin.

Got a 44mag(16'), and a 357mag(24'). One of them is always at the range with me. Real slick after I deburred them both, and got rid of that gawdawefull safety.
    I had a Win 94. Could not get it nowhere near slick as the 92. I like 92 action better for this reason.
    Have never had any feeding problems.

Boolit Master
    I have three (one each .357, .44, and .45) and they all work and shoot very well.
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Boolit Bub
    I have two newer LSI Pumas (16" and 20" .44Mag) that have been good to go from the start. The only issue I have had, like someone else stated about folks fiddling, was when I took the darn thing apart and reinstalled the cartridge stop incorrectly.

They both have fed any bullet I have tried, action worked fast or slow, doesn't matter.

Boolit Master
    Now that people have spoke up and I no longer feel that if I open up my mouth that my Puma would blow apart or something crazy..........you know the taboo thing. Anyway I did work on mine as soon has I received it. I worked on deburring "slicking up" the entire rifle and then did some work on the springs. I also made a different magazine follower plug from a 375 H&H case as the plastic one just didn't set right in my mind. The 454 casull stainless has been plugging along nicely and will feed any bullet that has a nose .4 nose or less.

Here is a nice website for those who want to "do it right" regarding slicking up/working on the rifle.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Rossitune.htm

I've had a .45 and a .357 for about 3 years - and they both operated/fed/shot just fine, out-of-the-box.

They ran smoothly, and the fit/finish was very good (one was an LSI, the other a BrazTech, but both Rossi M92's)

After a few months use, I replaced the plastic/fantastic magazine followers with handmade metal, and also handmade some plugs to replace the lawyer bolt-top safeties.

I D/T the top rails of the .357 for a receiver peep, and the center of the .45's safety plug for a Skinner LoPro peep.
    Both were easily zeroed, using the issue front sight blades.

Then, for kicks, I converted the .357's magazine to a button mag this past Winter.

No matter how hard I try, though - the darn things just keep working as usual.

Last edited by pietro; 05-31-2010 at 06:45 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I have fired 600+ rounds through my 24" octagon .44 mag since I got it in February including 265 grain ranch dogs and 240 lee tl swc. Fed one at a time it shoots .433 round balls from .44 spcl brass into 1 big hole at 30 yards. I love it. The safety doesn't bother me i've always left it on fire and paid it no mind. It has the slow twist but shoots fine with cast at 100 yards.

It's good to hear the positive reports...

I've been considering getting one (or more) for a while now, but was getting concerned with all the problems with people have been posting. But it's good to see that generally speaking, the Rossi is a good unit. I had a Miroku Winchester '92 --and I was quite spoiled by it-- but I just can't see having $700+ tied up in a working woods beater.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Moderator Emeritus

I bought a 357 for a cheapie truck gun several years ago, it was rough as a cob but it shot great. After a little tuning and spring adjustment it turned out to be one of the sweetest gun I used to own. After the wife and daughters all had 357s (mine) I went to 45s.
    My two 45's (that no one has claimed yet) will drive tacks, and flip the brass up on your hatbrim.

I've had some that needed a little more attention than others, but I've not had a bad one.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gon2shoot View Post
    I bought a 357 for a cheapie truck gun several years ago, it was rough as a cob but it shot great. After a little tuning and spring adjustment it turned out to be one of the sweetest gun I used to own. After the wife and daughters all had 357s (mine) I went to 45s.
    My two 45's (that no one has claimed yet) will drive tacks, and flip the brass up on your hatbrim.

I've had some that needed a little more attention than others, but I've not had a bad one.
    Thats pretty much the story of mine, but mine throws the brass well forward. My wife is set to get it as she is just starting out in Cowboy.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Bub
    I have a mod 92 in 44 mag, and I have NO problems. And I have made some mods. Shortened the barrel, new stock, large loop lever. NO PROBLEMS.

Boolit Master
    I own two LSI Pumas one is a stainless in 45 colt and the other is a blued 357 mag. The 45 colt had issues with the barrel when I got it as it was defective. I sent it to the warranty repair place and got it back about thee months later with a new barrel (they told me they had to wait for a barrel to come in that was the delay) Since then I have put thousands of rounds through it without a hiccup. To date my 357 just eats ammo without a problem to be noticed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast