Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Powder dispencers

Powder dispencers

Somebody has very likely asked this question before but I couldn't find anything in the last few months worth of posts. I've been thinking about getting one of the automated powder dispencer/scale combos and would like some input from the group, thanks.

Boolit Master

Talking

I have the Lyman and I am happy with it.

Boolit Bub

Powder dispenser

Excavman, I have one of the older Pact models that I have used for several years, with no problems at all. I am not in a hurry, so I have not upgraded to the faster model. It is very convenient when working up loads. This is the second product from Pact that I have purchased, all with no problems. Dave

Boolit Master
    I bought the RCBS back in March and I am very pleased with the way it works and the speed and accuracy........................Terry

I have a RCBS and its works great for me...

I've had great results with several examples of Lee's Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Man
    I also have the Lyman and am happy with it.

Moderator Emeritus
    I've had my Pact combo now for over 5 years and I'm very happy with it.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

I have a older maybe 10 years Pact scale works just fine, and a Lyman 55 powder measure, I use the scale to set the measure up and then check it ever so often depepnding on what I'm loading, never saw the need for a combo.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Thanks guys. I'm like Tom-ADC, I use a Lyman 55 and set it with a Pact digital. I also have a Franklin digital and sometimes use an RCBS balance beam scale with a trickler. I find that the 55 will throw consistent charges all day long if you keep the level up and work it with a good rhythm. I can usually load a block of 50 in about a minute once I get set up. I was wondering if a dispencer is slow, fast, or indifferent.

Larry

Boolit Master
    I like my RCBS combo scale and dispenser. Fast and accurate IMO.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    the BEST you can expect from any of the combinations listed above is is plus or minus 0.1.....
    that is the best, it will most likely be less. and it will all vary based on the type of powder used.

if buying for speed and 0.1 is ok with your your mrasure of the lee perfect do fine.

if looking for accuracy speed is secondary and the cost goes up.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    I use an Ohaus 10-05 balance scale and Lyman #55 measure. For most of my work I set up the measure using the scale to weigh, and then throw. My Lyman #55s are within .1 gr. when I get them set up right, and I try to use mostly ball powders or fine cut extruded powders. Flake powders do very well also as long as one uses the fine adjustment and leaves the main cylinder flush. USE THE KNOCKER PROVIDED!!!!

Boolit Master

It's definately slower than using a powder measure but you can get a good pace going if your scale / dispenser is on a stand so you can seat a bullet while it throws the next charge.

I have a Pact combo and like it plus made in U.S.A. but I usaully just use when working up a powder charge. The down side is they take a few minutes to recalibrate if you switch powders. FB

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I have the Lyman DPS 1200 version II, with the version III speed setup. Works well for stick powders, but isn't as fast as the Lyman #55 for ball powders. The only thing mine doesn't do that the DPS 1200 version III does, is throw the next charge automatically when you put the pan back on the scale. With the versions I and II you have to hit the "go" button to throw the next charge. Not a problem, just something you have to get used to. The Version III does this automatically.

I've had problems with the setup throwing inconsistent charges below 20 grains weight. It's a static electricity problem due to our dry atmosphere here in AZ. Someone suggested I wipe the unit down with a dryer sheet, and I have, but I haven't thrown any light charges with it since. Most of my light charges are thrown for cast using the #55, or are thrown into pistol cases in my Dillon RL-550. About the only reason I'd use the DPS 1200 for light charges is to test its capabilities. I use the 1200 for heavy rifle charges using stick powder and for this, it is very consistent and accurate as checked on my Lyman balance beam scale.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Mold
    I've got the RCBS Chargemaster and am contemplating buying a second one. I used the RCBS 5-0-5 scale and took forever. I bought an MTM grain scale and was pleased doing it that way by hand but then I bought the chargemaster, and love it. My only complaint and this is nitpicking, is that bullseye powder is a pain to get out. Remember that nitpicking. With the chargemaster after you load your final round, empty the hopper, then set it to dispense like 300 grains, that will remove everything left in the tube.

It's a little pricey, but the time you save is tremendous. From what I've gathered you can even call RCBS tech. support and they'll walk you through the programming steps to make it dispense even faster. By doing so you do compromise .01 grain accuracy but it's significantly faster.

Not to bash anybodys dispenser, if you're happy thats great I'm just going by what I read on a 6mmbr review of the Lyman, it's got a 30 minute warm up time. And the reason I opted not to even consider the Pact was because my XP Pro chronograph came out of the box in "infinite loop". Meaning the contrast on the display was to dark to make anything legible, thus defeating the purpose of a chronograph.

All in all thou, the Chargemaster is worth every bit of $300. And theres an online website that starts with nat, that has them on sale for only $279.95 right now. Hope this helps.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Yes, the Lyman has an initial 30 minute "warm up" time, but this is easily circumvented by simply leaving it plugged in and turned on at all times. It only draws a few milliamps (like the LED's on most electronic equipment) at the DC voltage, which is micro amps at 120VAC, so electricity cost isn't a factor. Each time I use mine I run the calibration procedure, which takes a minute or so, and I'm good to go. I'm sure all the other dispenser/digital scale combos require the same calibration before use, so it's basically a moot point.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.