Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: "Freezing of Lee Furnace"

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2009 chunkum's Avatar

"Freezing of Lee Furnace"

Posted this on another thread but never got it solved?

"In regard to the Lee furnaces, I purchased one (a 110 V 20# bottom pour) from another shooter and it's served well though recently the pour-nipple has been freezing up (ie the alloy solidifying), this first occuring when melting a large volume of X-Ray shielding. It's an intermittant thing and, left to itself, it "melts" again and will again "pour" when triipped as it should. If in a hurry, a propane torch to the nipple facilitates the "recovery" but it is irritating. Any solutions? Other than patience?"
    Best Regards,
    Chunkum
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it irritates the pig.

Boolit Master
    Do you have the pot turned all the way up?

David

I usually run it at around the "8" when melting stuff down. However, tried turning it up full and the "freezing" will occur just the same. Actually turning it up to high if it's "frozen" when set lower, seems to impede it's opening up on its on. Reopens best when turning it lower for a bit and then back up.
    c.

Boolit Buddy
    Chunkum My solution is to bend a small finish nail into an L shape and cut a small piece off the point, making a sharp edge, then float the nail a few seconds in the melt. I then pick it up with pliers (also dipped) and insert the cutting edge into the bottom of the spout and twist it a bit. Repeated a few times usually cleans out what ever caused the problem, usually a small bit of crud that slows the flow. The reason for the L shape is to get my fingers further away from any flow or leakage. DM

Boolit Master
    IF that nipple is bad, it'll stay sticking shut.

Ship it back to Lee for replacement/rebuild. Shouldn't cost much if it's less than two yrs old.

I sent a 10# back that had been used for over 25-30 yrs and they rebuilt it like new for $8. I'd tried to drill it out, when a wire wouldn't work.
    That wrecked it for sure.

It came back like new as they put a new liner in too, and some other things. Not sure but expect they put a new heating element in too.

They are good about repairs and only takes about ten days or so to get them back.
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

I was just about to start a thread about the same thing though my Lee 20 lb pot is not wanting to go much over 700 degrees. Its not but about 6 months old.
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Boolit Bub

Heating element..........

Take the outside cover off the pot and you will see that the element makes 2 or 3 wraps around the inside kettle. Your elements may be too high on the kettle. See if you can move one of the wraps down closer to the spout. I put a new element, kettle and stopper in my 25 year old 10 pounder about a year ago and it works like new again. I don't think it cost over $15.

Give it a try....might not help but its worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by georgeld

I sent a 10# back that had been used for over 25-30 yrs and they rebuilt it like new for $8. I'd tried to drill it out, when a wire wouldn't work.
    That wrecked it for sure.
    That's the price of a new pot "liner". I know, I tried to "improve" my Prod Pot too back in the 70's and I recently decided I'd like it to be a bottom pour once more....

The $8 pot isn't hard to change with a 1/4" socket, might take 10 minutes....Not sure how long you'll have to leave it with Lee.....

FWIW,

Dennis

BTW, I also use a piece of wire bent to 90 degrees to clear the spout occasionally D Mack. But I'd be careful with a steel nail, you don't want to scratch up that valve's seat I reckon...They leak enough as is!
    Last edited by Bucks Owin; 08-06-2006 at 08:53 AM.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by steveb
    I was just about to start a thread about the same thing though my Lee 20 lb pot is not wanting to go much over 700 degrees. Its not but about 6 months old.
    steveb,
    See if Page 2 of this thread can be of any help...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=7204
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie
    steveb,
    CM
    Thanks!
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

thanks

Thanks to everyone for the responses. In accord with the consensus and my own judgement, if the problem persist, I'll give Lee a call and see if they'll allow me to send it in for reconditioning. It's been a good pot and I'lm kinda attached to it.
    Best Regards,
    chunkum

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie
    steveb,
    CM

I bent the bottom leaf of the thermastat and it worked like a charm. Thanks again Charlie. And to KenJudo(I didnt forget about you) Thank you sir.