Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a field expedient cake cutter

Boolit Buddy snake river marksman's Avatar

I need a field expedient cake cutter

I want to experiment with some pan lubing and I need some sort of cake cutter for 45 cal bullets. I'm only planning on doing a couple of hundred so I don't see the point in ordering an actual cake cutter. Is there a tube size that will work? Or something else?

Boolit Master
    What I did for my .50 cal was go to the local scrap yard with one of the bullets and found a hunk of tubing that fit it well. Then I simply ground a sharp edge all the way around the outside of it. Works fine.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Buddy
    Lower half of a 30-06 case will work. Or a piece of a golf club shaft.

an expanded .45 case with the case head drilled out or a nail through the flash hole to push boolit back out. 1/2" id tubing cut with a tubing cutter will usually be squished some at the cut and might be small enough to cut fairly close to the boolit.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

what "BBA" said...

Only I used a piece of .300 Win Mag brass.
    I cut it off at the shoulder and base, took the dremel to the neck, got rid of the burrs and sharpened the edges.

Works like a charm.

Keep The High Ground,

G

In that case the plan will be to cut off both ends of a 308 case, because I have lots of them, and go from there. thanks all.

Boolit Grand Master

Wrap a copper house wire handle around it and solder to give yourself a good grip.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

GREAT IDEA! I was wondering how stiff my hand was going to get even doing the limited number I think I'm going to be doing.

Beekeeper
    I do a lot of pan lubing and made myself a set of cake cutters by going to the hobby lobby hobby store and buying brass tubing used in models.
    Took a bunch of boolits with me and got the size that was the closest. a couple of them I had to open up and I used a socket and extension or a punch to do it. The brass tubing will swage up or down easy.
    I made wire handles for them with a dowel to push them out or simply keep cutting until they come out the top.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    Push em out base first from your lube cake and you wont need one. Works for soft lube, hard stuff????

Boolit Master
    Old golf club tapered handle - tube cutter at just the right place where the cut is just a hair bigger than you need. If you leave it 12-18" long, you can punch and 'store' quite a few boolits before you have to unload your cutter.

You may find you can make cutters for more than one caliber from one golf club shank.

I forget who suggested it in another post, but I tried it and it worked on the $2 club from the GoodWill store. Try to get one of the chrome handles rather than brushed aluminum, as the aluminum ones seem to be thicker material.

In Remembrance

I've got some graphite shaft clubs for sale.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    for 45-70 I used a fired 45-70 case with primer pocket drilled out. Use a nail with the head on outside with a spring between the nailhead and case head, and a HBWC inside. Slide the fired case over the bullet, rock it L-R and lift out of the cake. Push the nailhead with your thumb to drop the bullet....repeat

Dudes, Im missing something here.

Why do you need a cookie cutter?

You whack-a-mole them

I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master

I have pan lubed thousands of bullets and NEVER used a cake cutter. Just arrange to do it while the lube pan is just under the point of burning you. Just push the bullets out with your thumb. You may have to make a "thumb stall" (a pad) on the more pointy bullets but with round nose and flat nose you can just push them out and the lube grooves will be perfectly filled.

When using Emmert's lube (50% Beeswax, 40% Crisco, and 10% Canola Oil), if you wait too long and the pan of bullets and lube gets too cool, then just pre-heat the oven at 200 degrees and put inside the oven for exactly five minutes and it'll be just about the correct temperature to freely push out.

FWIW
    Dale53

Guess it's time to add my thutty cents worth into the mix:

http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/panlubing.html

Goatlips

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    Dale53 "I have pan lubed thousands of bullets and NEVER used a cake cutter."

Dale, some lubes are too sticky, others are too firm. With the cookie cutter you never have to remove the cake from the pan, never damage bullet noses by hitting them, never have bullets with less than full grooves, and its easy. Some of the schuetzen spitzers are too pointy to even think about pushing out with a leather glove.

The OP asked a question, and now he has been given several options.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatlips View Post
    Gee wonder where I got my method from
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Wrap a copper house wire handle around it and solder to give yourself a good grip.

Bill
    I like that idea.

Boolit Grand Master

Another Idea, but not too expedient; cut a case of appropriate size to length (1" - 2") and solder it into a piece of 1/2" ID tubing. that will give you the length to hold onto and ability to cut six or seven boolits before emptying tube. My cutters were made of sainless steel tunimg reamed to a few thousandths inch over cas boolit size (the're still packed from my move so I can't measuer them now).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast