Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

View Poll Results: 357mag bolt action...would you buy one?

Voters
790. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

387 48.99%
  • no

148 18.73%
  • maybe

212 26.84%
  • are you smoking crack?

43 5.44%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 357mag Bolt action, new on the market

Banned
    Gandy

Did you happen to see the date of the first post to this thread?

Ruger has gone and made what we wanted ...too bad they put a Ruger/Weatherby throoooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat in it and limited the useable O.A.L of the magazine however. All in all I still want one even after some of the less than glowing reports I have heard from a few of my chronies. The rifle can be made to shoot cast but the magazine does not allow you to fill the throat properly. It is on my bucket list inspite of them facts though.

Boolit Master
    Would it be possible to convert this rifle to .357MAX for use as a single shot? Would a round eject?

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Banned
    Babore will be along at some point to answer that question Jerry.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    All in all I still want one even after some of the less than glowing reports I have heard from a few of my chronies. The rifle can be made to shoot cast but the magazine does not allow you to fill the throat properly. It is on my bucket list inspite of them facts though.
    Mikeys been drinking to much of the local brand of koolaid again. The Ruger shoots as well as that stainless Marlin 357 (with the same lot of ammo) you saw last time we saw each other.

Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    Would it be possible to convert this rifle to .357MAX for use as a single shot? Would a round eject?

Jerry
    The action will handle a 357 Max loaded to an COAL of 1.955. I could eject a loaded round. The mag will only handle a COAL of 1.650. The fixed, standing ejector could be shortened slightly for a full 2,00 COAL. The downside of using this rifle as a single shot, 357 Max would be the rear locking, 2-piece bolt. IMO, while it is fine for a 38-40 kpsi 357 mag load, a 50 kpsi Max loading may cause some problems.

A better choice would be to rebarrel a CZ Model 527 Carbine in 7.62x39. The bolt head is compatable with the Max rim size. The Magazine is a single stack design. Feed angle between the tapered 7.62x39 and the Max with the rim atop the body of the round below are real close. An angled wedge would have to be added to the mags rear to prevent rim jump. If I was serious about doing one, I would buy a $40 mag first and make sure first. The CZ action would handle whatever you could stuff in a MAX case.

my experiance with the 357 max has not been what i expected. i could not get the accuracy i wanted. i could not get the bullets loaded centered in the brass. i tryed useing differant dies, small to big bell mouths to no bells at all. mabee i had a bad batch
    of brass. i finaly set the barrel back and back to 357 mag and that shot good.
    YMMV

Boolit Master
    I've currently got a 44 mag bolt action that will do anything a 357 would do for me and more. Between that, and my 7.62x39, I've got the bases covered that a 357 would fill. If I didn't already have a rifle, and was new to gun buying, I'd likely be interested.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I'm more curioous than interested and I was talking to the local gunshop owner the other day about them. He said he has several on order, more buyers ineterested and told not to bother ordering any more and don't hold his breath waiting for the current order to be filled.

Must be frustrating having buyers clamouring for something and not being able to source the rifles. He said he generally has no trouble getting hold of stuff that won't sell, lol!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    The action will handle a 357 Max loaded to an COAL of 1.955. I could eject a loaded round. The mag will only handle a COAL of 1.650. The fixed, standing ejector could be shortened slightly for a full 2,00 COAL. The downside of using this rifle as a single shot, 357 Max would be the rear locking, 2-piece bolt. IMO, while it is fine for a 38-40 kpsi 357 mag load, a 50 kpsi Max loading may cause some problems.

A better choice would be to rebarrel a CZ Model 527 Carbine in 7.62x39. The bolt head is compatable with the Max rim size. The Magazine is a single stack design. Feed angle between the tapered 7.62x39 and the Max with the rim atop the body of the round below are real close. An angled wedge would have to be added to the mags rear to prevent rim jump. If I was serious about doing one, I would buy a $40 mag first and make sure first. The CZ action would handle whatever you could stuff in a MAX case.
    The Zastava Mini-Mauser (imported into the US by Interarms, Charles Daly, Remington as the Model 799, and who knows else) in 7.62x39 will feed .357 rounds from both sides of the magazine, although I don't know if the magazine is long enough for the Max. It should be, they made the same rifle in .223.

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    I'm more curioous than interested and I was talking to the local gunshop owner the other day about them. He said he has several on order, more buyers ineterested and told not to bother ordering any more and don't hold his breath waiting for the current order to be filled.
    Must be frustrating having buyers clamouring for something and not being able to source the rifles. He said he generally has no trouble getting hold of stuff that won't sell, lol!
    I wonder if this is going to become the twenty first century version of the XGI? Although I don't think any production XGI's made it out of the factory.

Robert

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    Mikeys been drinking to much of the local brand of koolaid again. The Ruger shoots as well as that stainless Marlin 357 (with the same lot of ammo) you saw last time we saw each other.
    I am glad you have yet another bugholer. You ever play the lotto?

If you have it shooting like that marlin I will just shut up now. That marlin was indeed impressive even at ranges far exceeding the 357's ability.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    I am glad you have yet another bugholer. Nope, it isn't.... but it does about MOA when I can hold it right. You ever play the lotto? Waste of gun money......................

If you have it shooting like that marlin I will just shut up now. You know as well as I do that its what you put in the gun that makes it shoot well. Some boolits shoot much better than others do too. That marlin was indeed impressive even at ranges far exceeding the 357's ability. You might be surprised what some things will do. Bruces 44 mag with my boolit did about as well, from a handgun no less. Whats that 30 Sil doing out of your rifle?

Banned
    It's been awhile since I shot any of the 30sils because of that J.O.B thing, but the sporterized 308 spaniard still likes putting them all in the same inch or so of space. I only have about 6 incomplete "projects" right now due to only getting 1 day off per week.......just making hay while the sun is shining.

Boolit Buddy
    If you could find a ruger bolt in 44, could you get it rebarreled to 357 Bain & Davis? The rotary clip would still work?

Boolit Master

Smile Hello Nanuk

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    I've owned one of them IMI/Springers for about 20 years also

I've seen them go for ridiculous $$$$ 'specially the 44's.

I should have bought 2 of each when I had the chance.

it doesn't fit me at all so I don't shoot it much at all, so I'm looking to sell it to finance a Uberti RB in 357mag.

I bought mine from Arnies Guns in Prince Albert. It sure is a fun gun!
    Every time I go back to Sask, I take It with me for Gopher shooting!

Dthunter:
    arnies guns was sold, to a young fellow... not the same anymore.
    but they do carry a lot of guns still, I just never go in there cause I can't get service.

I had bought mine from SIR, when it was SIR.

had fun with it, 'specially after I disassembed it and deburred it.

but ended up trading it off... and I bought the Baby Roller... what a beautiful gun.

Boolit Master
    This is a bit late in response to the poll and thread, but better late than never.

In the beginning of the year, around January or February I was bumming around all the local gun shops looking for a stainless .357 lever action. I wanted one as a companion for my .357 Dan Wesson revolver.

I found a whole lot of nothing, everywhere that I looked. If I wanted 44 Magnum lever action, they were available in spades, but I already have a Winchester 44 Magnum Trapper.

There was also an abundant supply of 45 Colt lever action rifles. Apparently around here a .357 lever gun is either really rare, or real popular in my parts.

While checking out one of my favorite spots, and asking if they had a lever in .357 and getting yet another negative response, the owner mentioned having no lever actions, but he did have a newly arrived Ruger Model 77 bolt action in .357 Magnum.

I hadn't heard of it (or seen this thread yet) and I promptly took it home with me.

It's a nice simple little gun that shoots and handles well. Accuracy was very good for a pistol cartridge. I am quite impressed with it overall.

It now wears a 4X scope, on top of the Ruger supplied rings, and a sling to make handling a bit more convenient.

It will feed both .38 Specials, and .357 Magnums. Shoots 38 Special to a bit lower point of aim than the .357's, but that's to be expected, and is easy to adjust to.

I really like it a lot. A very nice rifle (carbine?) that I wasn't exactly looking for, but I sure am glad that I bought. It was around $650, and that seemed kind of pricey to me at the time. I would say that it was well worth it now in retrospect.

There is a decent online article about em on gunblast.com, if y'all are interested.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-M77-357.htm

- Bullwolf
    Last edited by Bullwolf; 09-12-2014 at 10:02 PM.

Boolit Bub
    357 Max yes 357 mag no - in a bolt action. But I need a Left bolt too!
    Might have to settle for a H&R or similar break action rechambered to 357 max.

Boolit Man
    One of those Ruger 77/357's followed me home yesterday.

I picked one up and I love it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3844.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	56834
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Bub
    Leadforbrains, have you had a chance to shoot the Ruger? What kind of groups did you get? With 38 spec and/or 357 mag?

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast