WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

View Poll Results: 357mag bolt action...would you buy one?

Voters
790. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

387 48.99%
  • no

148 18.73%
  • maybe

212 26.84%
  • are you smoking crack?

43 5.44%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 357mag Bolt action, new on the market

Boolit Grand Master
    D.D. Why not just send it to Delta Gunshop/Clearwater Reboring and have them re-bore the existing barrel/rechamber

A 357 mag would be nice but a 41 mag would be much better.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good Cheer,

To my mind, the .357 is at the top of the "light, packing around, general purpose, low recoil rifle/carbine" pyramid. This is the niche that was filled by the .25-20, .32-20 and similar cartridges in past generations.

While the .41 mag is much more capable, it also has much more recoil with top end loads.

Robert

There was a boy in Salt Lake City in '81 that was chambering Remington 22RF bolt actions for 38Spl wadcutters. Still wish I had gotten one. Reckon there's no reason that some bolt action wouldn't handle just as nice in a 357.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by donald duck View Post
    I recently purchasr a Savage Axis, Edge, in .223 and want to have it rebarreled to 7 mm TCU. Who might you recommend??? Want a 22 inch barrel with probably 1 in 9 twist. I have received one quote but would like others. thanks donald duck
    Try Sharp shooters supply.
    I bought a 17remmy barrel for my savage 223 from them a few years ago. Add a barrel nut spanner and a headspace gauge, and you can do the switch yourself.
    That's what I did.
    Sold the barrel, and wrench a couple years ago, after falling out of love with the 17.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

I remember a pump .357 made in Israel, Wolverine maybe? That was a sweet shooting rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    How about rebarreling the little Ruger 44 rifle to 44/357 Bain & Davis? Just read about a fellow doing this on another forum and it sounded like a good idea. Do a group buy for dies and short chambered barrels and then pass a reamer and go/no go gauges around for final chambering. One these rifles in 44/357 with a full power load using the Ranch Dog 35 boolit would be a potent little package.

Can we say "instant collector"?? I'm guessing it would be just like other limited run firearms..they'd only go up...get one of the first or pay a premium. Yep, I'm in the Max-mode, too.

Boolit Master
    I would probably not buy one until they stopped making them, and then pine away for years, and finally break down and pay out the nose for a beat up one 30 years later. At least that seems to be my track record.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Banned

Looks like sound logic to me...

Boolit Master
    Here is something to consider when getting a rifle chambered for the .357 Maximum:

"The SAAMI spec. factory chambers do not support the shank of the bullet as it engraves into the rifling."

More on this issue (or non-issue) in the link below:

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=120

Here is an option.
    http://www.oldwestguns.ca/index.php?...ucts&object=35

http://www.oldwestguns.ca/image_view...=169&image=153

I prefer the levers though and just bought two Rossi's. .357mag and .44 Mag.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Some ask what is the point to having a bolt action , even say the lever action has got it covered . This is my opinion only , no one has a lever action pointed at me

I shoot my lever in a single shot fashion quite a bit in the winter months from the range house . Normally , I practice while standing and shoot both right handed and left handed . For me a bolt action is easier to load and unload rather than a side eject lever rifle . The top loading lever rifles tend to fling them if you don't catch them and is harder to unload and keep the cases from hitting the concrete . The Marlin and the Browning are plenty accurate and easy to use you betcha . For me using a bolt would be easier .

Finding a single shot might even fill the bill and I might even go out on a limb and buy a Ruger single shot . A fella had one on the trader page that I almost bought . The chances of Ruger making more for paying customers are unlikely to zilch . T/C could make a carbine like the old "Aristocrat" model but I'm not holding my breath .... to bad , they were nice rifles . Savage could still sell the 219 break open style and if they ever slow down from selling three hundred dollar bolt actions they might . But since they already got things tooled for bolt rifles , it seems reasonable they could at least look at the idea . Anybody know why a Stevens or Savage short action could not work for a rimmed cartridge ?

It's still light to pack around , easy on the shoulder , hits hard enough for several species of critter , easy to load for and inexpensive if one doesn't load . Perhaps someone who counts the costs of making stuff can compare it to making a Marlin or other lever action and see which is cheaper . But aren't the Stevens bolt actions about the same price as the H&R single shots these days ?

Jack

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke4570 View Post
    I remember a pump .357 made in Israel, Wolverine maybe? That was a sweet shooting rifle.
    Timberwolf,, have one. No, it is not for sale.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 45nut View Post
    Timberwolf,, have one. No, it is not for sale.
    Dang...

Jack, i built a 357 and 44 mag on a stevens and savage action. they are
    single shots. i replaced the magazine follower with a aluminum ramp and u drop the bullet in and close the bolt. when i first built it i head spaced on the case mouth soroff,
    accuracy was ok but not spectaculr. i then machined the bolt face so the recess
    was a tad less than the rim thickness. of course i had to leave the extractor alone.
    i had to do a little math and make a cutout in the barrel for the extractor .
    now i head space on the rim. 1 in groups at 100 yds now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    .make a carbine like the old "Aristocrat" model but .reasonable they could at least look at the idea . Anybody know why a Stevens or Savage short action could not work for a rimmed cartridge ?

.Jack

Boolit Master

I think a bolt gun in 357 MAX would be really nice ti have.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

i have both a 357 mag and max. the problem i,m haveing is with the
    357 sizeing dies don,t size the neck enough and the boolits are loose. i have,nt
    tried the lee factory crimp dies as the bullets are too losse . i hsve been useing 9mm
    sizeing dies and that works to much. when i seat the bullets the case streches
    more on one side and the bullet is not centered in the case. i should get back
    to playing with this thing. some day!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbunny View Post
    i have both a 357 mag and max. the problem i,m haveing is with the
    357 sizeing dies don,t size the neck enough and the boolits are loose. i have,nt
    tried the lee factory crimp dies as the bullets are too losse . i hsve been useing 9mm
    sizeing dies and that works to much. when i seat the bullets the case streches
    more on one side and the bullet is not centered in the case. i should get back
    to playing with this thing. some day!!
    Any chnace of getting a pic of the breach end of the barrel?

And yes, I'd buy a Ruger 77/357 in heartbeat. It'd be great fun to take a revolver and the rifle with a single bag of ammo.

i,m assuming the 357 max breach pic on the savage action. my bud has the stevens
    357 mag right now, however here is a pic of my savage 44 mag breach. they were made the same way. my 357 max is on a 98 mouser action. while were on the subject, i had chambered a H&R 357 mag to max and i could not get that thing to
    make 5 shots touching at 100 yds. i blame the thinner brass with loading problems.
    i took the barrel of the H&R and cut the hindge block off ans shortened the barrel
    5/16 of an in for 357 mag and stuck it on martini action and now 5 shots touching at 100 yds.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast