Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox

View Poll Results: 357mag bolt action...would you buy one?

Voters
790. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

387 48.99%
  • no

148 18.73%
  • maybe

212 26.84%
  • are you smoking crack?

43 5.44%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 357mag Bolt action, new on the market

HONCHO EMERITUS

I voted "maybe." Simply because I already have the .357 Magnum in a levergun & the .357 Max in a single shot.

The idea here that intriques (sp?) me is the 7.63x39 case necked up to .35 caliber. Taking a CZ 7.62x39 boltgun and having the barrel re-bored to .35 caliber would probably be the easiest route. My only question would be do we still need a chamber reamer made and what is the cost of that? This cartridge would probably work best with the lighter pistol boolits in the 158-180 grn range. Seems like you could get them stepping out there at a pretty respectable speed. Should be sure death on "garden varmints."
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Grand Master
    You might be able to take your CZ and run a 35 Rem reamer in, but short, and use the '39 case. You could then take 35 rem dies and cut them down. Just suggesting ,as this is what I have planned for an AR. Have the reamer and dies, now just barrel and time. Would probably have to go to a carbine gas port location AKA 450 bushmaster setup.

Boolit Buddy
    Lots of good information on the 7.62x39/35 or 35 Gremlin as it is referred to over on the accurate reloading forum in the wildcat section. Hornady is making dies for it, would be a great cast bullet gun. Been thinking about getting another Ruger compact in 7.62x39 and have it rebarreled with a 20" barrel in 35 Gremlin. A 35 Remington would nice too though.

Boolit Master
    The .358/39 is a smart choise. Russia has its VAL assault rifle with 9X39, but the smarter version from it is defenitely one with .358 bore.
    http://world.guns.ru/assault/as10-e.htm
    http://world.guns.ru/ammo/sp-e.htm#SP-5

S

Boolit Buddy
    Tony Rumore of Tromix made M1 carbines in 357 and 44 AUTOMAG, which is essentially a 44 Magnum rimless case (308 Winchester cut down and inside nexk reamed). The 357 Automag is a necked down 44 Automag. They feed from standard M1 Carbine Magazines. I have no idea if a 357 Mag or Maximum will feed from an M1 Carbine Mag, it may, but for only like 5 rounds.

I have a '93 Mauser in 7.62x39 but didn't cut down the action (when you cut down the action, you then have to make a custom stock, adding considerable expense or labor). It's a very nice gun, very accurate.

Maybe convincing Ruger to do the 357 Bain & Davis (a 44 Magnum necked down to 357) might be easier. Or even a gunsmith could do it with a barrel change maybe (no bolt alterations). This may or may not work, just throwing it out.

As for some of you tinkerers, try looking for old barrels at Gunparts Corp. Or get a Remington 700 Take off barrel, they then to be fairly large in the rear to allow recutting the threads and rechambering. They sometimes can be had for cheap, and depending what you are doing, might be suitable.

Why do people want to do this? Is it because there are states/areas that only allow handgun or certain length cartridges to be used for hunting? I know that made the 357 max popular in some areas.

JW

A .357 rifle is somethng I've kinda wanted for a long time. It would make a good starter deer rifle for my daughter. I could load up some 158 jhp.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master

Well, I think I would be interested in one - But more than that I would want one of each in 32-20 AND 25-20. Small market, but I think it would fly.

357 max to go with T/C encore-contenders - yep - .357 mag maybe - already competing with Marlin / Rossi Lever guns - It would make a good candidate for De Lisle Suppressed Carbine build - so I'd probably get one even in 357 mag - Make sure it has a fast twist for long heavy 220-250 grain bullet stability.

Boolit Buddy
    I voted "maybe", but I also already have the Marlin lever action in .357 Mag and an older H&R with the contoured barrel in .357 Maximum. Both are scoped the same (older Tasco 2.5 x 8 x 40 world class), but sometimes take the scope off the lever gun if just playing around.

I realize that the Ruger 77 platform would be lightweight, handy, and practical and I might go for one of those, but if it was in a full size gun of some other manufacture, might not be that attracted to it. Would just have to see it.

Just my thoughts.

Steve

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedGoodOutdoors View Post
    Whats the Point of .357 in a Bolt?

Have you ever seen them JEEP stickers that say "IT IS A JEEP THING, YOU WOULD NOT UNDERSTAND" ?

This very likely might just be a similar type issue.

Please view my signature for further explanation.

Boolit Mold
    Make it so that it can accept Coonan mags and price it for $199 and I'll buy it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd rather have a lever myself. To each his own I suppose but I see no real advantage to a bolt over a lever. Then again, if we only bought what was needed a lot of companies would be broke.

Brad

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I can't really see the point in a 357 bolt rifle. Now a pump or an auto that takes Coonan or Desert Eagle mags is something else. I have a 92 in 38/357 and it is a pearler of a rifle. It is about to become a cowboy gun again after a couple of years in the wings as my wife is about to start single action shooting. I'lll have to do a spot of hunting with it as I have all sorts of 357 moulds and that is the only 357 rifle I own, sooooooooooooo, I'll be borrowing it back occasionally.

I'd like a Bbl for my Encore in 357.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch4122 View Post
    I voted "maybe." Simply because I already have the .357 Magnum in a levergun & the .357 Max in a single shot.

The idea here that intriques (sp?) me is the 7.63x39 case necked up to .35 caliber. Taking a CZ 7.62x39 boltgun and having the barrel re-bored to .35 caliber would probably be the easiest route. My only question would be do we still need a chamber reamer made and what is the cost of that? This cartridge would probably work best with the lighter pistol boolits in the 158-180 grn range. Seems like you could get them stepping out there at a pretty respectable speed. Should be sure death on "garden varmints."
    I have a reamer for this cartridge on the way from ptg.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Maybe. It wolud depend if the gun has scaled to the size of the cartridge or not. I have no desire for a large ring 98 Mauser in .357, but something the size of a Model 43 Winchester would be great.

I am still kicking myself for not buying one of the Timberwolf .357 pumps when they were available.

Robert
    I agree, it must be small, light (and also inexpensive). .357 Max would be nice, but I would buy one in .357 mag.

A perfect all-around rifle for almost everywhere in the country!

I'm in the maybe camp. It all depends on the quality of the product and does it look good. I do have a T/C carbine barrel that makes a handy package along with a Rossi levergun not to mention a few handgun in .357. Still, I love shooting the .357 in all it's forms so I could be induced to getting another.

Shucks, I'd have to buy most rifle chambered for a 41 mag. Getting one in a low wall is kinda one of those mind drifts like dreaming about a Red Rider.

Boolit Master
    If the price was right. I think it would be fun.

If it was a basic, say $300 to $400 range I'd be interested.

If it's $800, no thanks.
    NRA life member

LB

Banned
    I recently purchasr a Savage Axis, Edge, in .223 and want to have it rebarreled to 7 mm TCU. Who might you recommend??? Want a 22 inch barrel with probably 1 in 9 twist. I have received one quote but would like others. thanks donald duck

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I have an old 95 Mauser that I was making into a 7mm BR. It looks like it would be just about the right length for a 357 Max after it was shortened. Pictured with a 50 S&W
    John, do you do rebarreling work??? Want a Savage Edge, AXis, rebarreled to 7mmTCU. 22 inch barrel with 1 in 9 twist. How much?? Thanks donald duck

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast