Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: 357mag bolt action...would you buy one?

Voters
790. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

387 48.99%
  • no

148 18.73%
  • maybe

212 26.84%
  • are you smoking crack?

43 5.44%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 357mag Bolt action, new on the market

Boolit Buddy
    If you used an action with controlled round feeding. You might be able to trim 223 brass down to 357 mag./max. length and use a short action designed for the 223. The Remingtons and the CZ's might just be down right good actions for this. Just a thought i have thought about doing myself a few times.

Toby

Boolit Master
    Yes I would buy one if they where about $100 or so cheaper then a Marlin 94. A 357max would be cool also, but I would be happy with the Mag.

Boolit Master

I'm a machinist with a very limited budget so buying a new rifle is not my thoughts. Was thinking back to the days when I was machining actions for the Stebbin's 50 BMG and the thought came to me of using the four locking lugs like on the 50 but put them to the rear like a 788 Remington. Using four longer lugs instead of the nine on the 788 would give a bolt angle of 45 degrees instead of the 60 degrees to open. I have a bunch of Douglas barrel ends that have a hardness around 32 Rockwell C that I could play around with that should be plenty strong enough for a 357 mag. I would need to heat treat to around 38C for the 375 max. Was thinking a bolt diameter of 9/16" should give plenty of support for the rim and a Sako type extractor using a Remington type ejector. A Timney trigger with a built in safety would make that part easy. At $85 for a Green Mountain barrel blank this little barreled action would not be to much cash outlay on my part. Now just to find the time to make up the tooling and do the work and keep up with all the other work that is backed up.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    John, I don't know about Rockwells per se, but whatever is required for the metal on-hand to withstand 55K psi continuous, with a 80K psi ignition spike will be entirely sufficient. Pistol length cases cannot be loaded to exceed these specs for the most part. In fact, only the bench guns will exceed them by design. ... felix
    felix

The short action on a Browning would work pretty good if you wanted to trim 223 brass.

When I worked at Ruger, I tried to talk to folks about this, but they were pretty hung up on the .44 mag. Too bad since that series would be fun in 25-20, 32-20, 327 Federal, and .357 Mag., etc. Too bad too that there never was much interest in the milder calibers, or we would have good .256 win, and the .30 wildcat on the .357 case now.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Maybe. It wolud depend if the gun has scaled to the size of the cartridge or not. I have no desire for a large ring 98 Mauser in .357, but something the size of a Model 43 Winchester would be great.

I am still kicking myself for not buying one of the Timberwolf .357 pumps when they were available.

Robert
    I like the idea of something the size of the Winchester or the CZ , single stack removable mag and available in left hand . I don't mind a small premium for the left hand option maybe something like the Remington 788 and 581 designs ?

I'm not sure I'd buy a Ruger even if it was chambered in it's little rifle from past experience with their little rifles .

Jack

I think Ruger should use a one piece bolt for it's centerfire 77/44 series, perhaps modify the muzzleloader bolt casting. If they added a primary extraction cam, and perhaps lost the rotary mag in favor of a 2-3 round straight mag for longer calibers I think it could be a slick gun.

Boolit Master
    Hl voted "are you smoking crack".
    I may be a bit of a throwback, but I would buy a pump gun (especially with a tube magazine, but would settle for a detachable box) in a heartbeat in .357, preferably the max version. Can't see myself buying a bolt gun if a lever is available. But a pump would be the bees knees in pistol cartridges.

Boolit Master

rufracer experimented with straightening out a 223 case to .357 in an ar. made for a hot little sucker with good ballistics. however feeding wasnt as desireable as it could have been. so now we are working on a .357x39 so it will have more taper. either should work great in a bolt gun.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 82nd airborne View Post
    rufracer experimented with straightening out a 223 case to .357 in an ar. made for a hot little sucker with good ballistics. however feeding wasnt as desireable as it could have been. so now we are working on a .357x39 so it will have more taper. either should work great in a bolt gun.
    That's interesting because I talked to some AR experts about a same round and they said there would be feeding issues because it was too straight. Reckon they were right.

Boolit Master

id say right they were! i think if you cut it off at the shoulder as opposed to using it full length as we did, it would work, who knows? the 7.62x39 as a parent case should work i think tho. ill keep it posted, but it will be a little while before we get back to it because of the projects we have going now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I am still kicking myself for not buying one of the Timberwolf .357 pumps when they were available.

Robert
    YES!!!!

I would love to see a full length tubular magazined pump of high quality for all the pistol cartridges! 12 rounds in a good pump would be sumthin'!

Don't see much use for a bolt .357 however... .35 Rem you bet!

Eutectic

Boolit Master
    Darn I didn't see the "are you smoking crack choice"!

I would buy one if it was a semi-auto. Like a camp 9 carbine,or that ruger 44 auto they used to make. I have been toying with a 9x39 bolt gun idea. 7x39 necked up to 9mm??

Boolit Mold

Oooohhh!

I know this is an older post but sign me up!!! I would love to have one-especially if cost less than the levers. Maybe prices of levers would come down a little since less in demand. I like the Lee Enfield action plan! Awesome action! I would take it over the Mauser any day!!!

Boolit Master
    +50 on the 357 max!
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I'm thinking a rem600 action with 20" brl as suggested by Blammer. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Mold
    thought of it, camp 9 would be perfect! maybe a rem 8/81 action? saiga is pretty much tooled up already

Boolit Grand Master
    Tried the Max with cutdown rims in an AR. Front rib on the mag would preclude feeding. Just bought a used 700 in 223 and going to have JES rebore it to 35cal and chamber it for the Max. Will use 223 brass cut to max length and may try a 308 boltface also, might have enough grip to pull a factory max case out of the chamber, but would only be single shot using Max brass.
    I would love a boltgun chambered for the Max, can you tell.

Boolit Master

There was a company making M1 carbines in 44 mag without the gas system. Made a neat little pump rifle. I'm sure it would have worked for the 357 also.
    I had thoughts of making a larger version of the Winchester model 90 that would work with the 44-40. It could also handle most of the pistol calibers. Another Browning design and much better than the Colt lightning.
    Another thought, why not take a short stroke bolt action and convert it to tube mag. The biggest problem with feeding a strait case is getting it lined up with the chamber first. There are several 22s that feed from a tube mag, a loose copy made bigger should work.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast