WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: 357mag bolt action...would you buy one?

Voters
790. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

387 48.99%
  • no

148 18.73%
  • maybe

212 26.84%
  • are you smoking crack?

43 5.44%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 357mag Bolt action, new on the market

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2shot View Post
    +1 on the 357 Max
    I would be bugging my dealer in about 30 seconds to put at least 2 on back order

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

One question - will this then be called rifle ammo - or will it still be pistol ammo? Makes a difference to those who live in commie countries like NJ ...

The answer relies on the legal status, not the caliber nor cartridge.

Banned
    I was thinking something like a short throw Savage 340, Rem788. or a CZ action shrunk and SCALED down to make it LIGHT AND HANDY. The 357max is an awesome and underated cartridge and I am quite fond if it.....but......The only problem I see with the MAX in such a critter is people would compare it to the 35rem and sales would likely faulter. Once you get that LONG of an action the temptation would likely be too high to go to a more poetent round. I want an action that would be suitable for 38 special target with heavy boolits, 357 with normal boolits, 32/20, and all the calibers Excess listed minus the 10mm, but hey iffin ya want one in 10mm I am sure it would fit.

a 357 that would shoot heavy 38's is the 1st caliber I want in this critter.

Banned

Well if not 357 MAX, make the 357 Mag long enough to make it into a 360 DW.

Boolit Master

I was thinking of the action used in the Inter Arms Mini Mk II AKA Rem 799

As I already have several of them in 223 , 7.62 x 39 and a 22 hornet

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

Boolit Master

Shoot
    Not only is a 357 mag / Max BA rifle on my wish list

But I would love the same size rifle in a 32/20 or even better a 25/20 with rifling cut for a cast boolit

IMO a near perfict plinking and virmem rifle
    As I was forced to sell my 25/20 and 32/20 Marlins to pay bills a few years back

John

I'll agree 357 Max would be a MUST BUY NOW!
    I could wait for a good deal on the 357 Mag...
    Lever, Bolt, auto, pump, just make it a MAX!

I've got a 12" MAX barrel for the T/C and will be in Oklahoma City this weekend...
    Ed's Contenders is there and could be the cure for this itch you gave me.
    18-21" Stainless back scratcher is what I'll say it is!
    Ken TN
    Ken TN

NRA Handgun Instructor and Endowment Member
    IHMSA, SASS, NRA Field Pistol

Boolit Mold
    If the 357mag was offered in a bolt I would for sure get a couple of them. I think the Ruger compact would be a great platform for it. I have shoulder troubles and this would help fill the bill (or the freezer) for me.

The only reason why I would say no on the max is it a different casing. It's nice going with the same thing in your revolver as the rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    357 yes. Have the Rossi and really enjoying it. Friend has a Greener Martini action in .357 that is the cat's meow! I'm a little envious. Looking real hard at the low walls, but really need something cheaper. The Handi rifles and Contenders are getting good reviews, I just prefer the falling block design.

Yes, a bolt .357 Max would be great. Use the Desert Eagle Magazines? Liked the .45ACP conversions of the Mauser, but didn't get one.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    ONLY if it could be made into a 357 Supermag.... I would have little use for a bolt 357 when a lever gun will do as well and reload alot faster.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned
    A 357Max/supermag could likely be made to work on a 223 stevens 200 centerfeed with the right man doing the work.................I am not that man, but if I had the $$ I know a guy that could likely make it happen......hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Boolit Grand Master
    Why not take a 223 rem rifle and find someone to turn the rims down on Max brass to rimless. Tried this in an AR, but mags were the drawback. Might have to try this with a bolt action.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Maybe. It wolud depend if the gun has scaled to the size of the cartridge or not. I have no desire for a large ring 98 Mauser in .357, but something the size of a Model 43 Winchester would be great.

I am still kicking myself for not buying one of the Timberwolf .357 pumps when they were available.

Robert
    I was looking on line, and found a company that makes pumps chambered in .38 Spec, 38-40,44-40, and 45 colt, that would chamber it in a .357 magnum...Haven't asked about .357 Max....
    AWguns.com
    The rifles are the Lightning, start at 850.00, and they would do the chambering and stamping and rebluing of the barrel for another 125.00. They responded very quickly to my emails when I emailed them.
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

Boolit Master

I have an old 95 Mauser that I was making into a 7mm BR. It looks like it would be just about the right length for a 357 Max after it was shortened. Pictured with a 50 S&W

If'n I were to design a 357 Max bolt rifle it would be a rear locking system which makes for a very short throw indeed and plenty stiff at those lengths. (Using a 30-30 as a parent case would be tempting too!) Mind you, a 41 maximum using a 303 Brit case would make sense in my part of the world ...... mmmm!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Banned
    REMINGTON 788 fan 303?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnch View Post
    I was thinking of the action used in the Inter Arms Mini Mk II AKA Rem 799

As I already have several of them in 223 , 7.62 x 39 and a 22 hornet

John
    John,

Try feeding a couple of dummies through one of your 7.62X39mm Mini Mausers. They wont fully chamber, but the bolt face is very close to the correct size. There was a thread were Felix suggested a switch barrel for a benchrest gun that got me thinking about it. I know mine (Which is the Charles Daly version), fed from the right side, but can't remember if the second round would feed or not, (or if I even tried two rounds in the magazine). It would be a fairly simple rebarreling job if it will feed from both sides of the magazine.

Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I have an old 95 Mauser that I was making into a 7mm BR. It looks like it would be just about the right length for a 357 Max after it was shortened. Pictured with a 50 S&W

Very intriguing John. I've shortened a couple small ring Mausers for single-shot actions for 22 Super Jet and 218 Mashburn Bee. I also built a Mauser 98 chambered for 375 Winchester as a repeater so I have to believe that with a bit of futzing around a guy could build a 357 Max on a shortened 93/95/96 action. I'm not sure the 93 with its flattened bolt bottom face would work or not. In your opinion, do you think a 357 Mag could be made to function?

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    If'n I were to design a 357 Max bolt rifle it would be a rear locking system which makes for a very short throw indeed and plenty stiff at those lengths. (Using a 30-30 as a parent case would be tempting too!) Mind you, a 41 maximum using a 303 Brit case would make sense in my part of the world ...... mmmm!
    I was thinking the same thing. Something along the lines of a modified #4 LE. Slim it, shorten it, make it to bed in a one piece stock. The removable bolt head would allow for rimed or rimless and the trigger could be modded for a decent modern unit.

357, 32-20, 35 Rem, 44 mag, 25-35, 219 Zipper....I can see some possibilities.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post

Very intriguing John. I've shortened a couple small ring Mausers for single-shot actions for 22 Super Jet and 218 Mashburn Bee. I also built a Mauser 98 chambered for 375 Winchester as a repeater so I have to believe that with a bit of futzing around a guy could build a 357 Max on a shortened 93/95/96 action. I'm not sure the 93 with its flattened bolt bottom face would work or not. In your opinion, do you think a 357 Mag could be made to function?

Edd
    The rimmed cartridges can be a feeding problem. Bolt face can have a ring soldered to it and machined. I have welded up bolt faces for low pressure rounds like the 22 Hornet on a model 70. May work best to use some sort of existing mag instead of trying to work over the feed rails. Working on a mod. 54 in 218 Bee now, using a 22 Hornet box mag. Need to use the feed pusher on the bolt just like the 22 Hornet. It had a 30-06 barrel that I put a center fire 22 caliber liner in.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast