Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

View Poll Results: 357mag bolt action...would you buy one?

Voters
790. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

387 48.99%
  • no

148 18.73%
  • maybe

212 26.84%
  • are you smoking crack?

43 5.44%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 357mag Bolt action, new on the market

I voted no but I would buy a new Marlin 44 mag in a second if the powers at be for Marlin/Remlin would tighten the twist to 1/20.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Ordered a 77/357 today. I usually hang out in the budget end of the rack and this'll be my most expensive gun to date. Fingers crossed I get a good one that shoots well and feeds 38's.

I really like the Ruger American Ranch Rifles, but my goal was a peep sighted offhand plinking rifle to put thousands of rounds through. The simplicity of reloading the 38 (or 357 if need be) vs 223, 300 AAC, or 7.62x39 and the availability of a peep sight tipped the scales to the 77. Plus I'm already set up for 357 and none of the others.

I've got a Benjamin 392 air rifle with a peep sight that I've put thousands of pellets through over the past two years, and would like to replicate the experience with a powder burner. I bought a Hi Point 9mm, and while accurate, it just doesn't do it for me. I looked hard at the Ruger 9 mm PC as well, but the semi autos seem to encourage blasting away vs thoughtful breathing and trigger control. I like the lighter weight/slimness of the 77 as well.
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 06-26-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Boolit Master

You going to love it. I shoot 105 Lee SWC with Promo/RedDot out of .38 Special cases. It's my walk around rifle for Prairie Dogs.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

I feel a little sick. Here is a smoking deal on one if someone wants to check it out...

http://www.armslist.com/posts/852783...-ruger-m77-357

Boolit Man
    Looks like scam to me but it might be real.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dead dog View Post
    Looks like scam to me...
    That's what I am going with!

It's flagged as a scam.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yep if the price was reasonable. I buy a 357 max bolt gun faster as it could shoot 38, 357 and 357 max

Boolit Bub
    NO, already have a Marlin in 357

Boolit Master

Went to pick up my rifle today, but NICS was down so I couldn't bring it home. Trigger felt acceptable. A little creep, but a pretty clean break and not too terribly heavy. Everything looked alright for the most part, but it certainly isn't finished as well as some less expensive rifles.

Boolit Master

Got my rifle home today. My LGS waived the transfer fee on the account of the second trip. Test fed some 38s with Lee 158 TL SWC and they seemed to feed just fine. Mag release does take a bit of getting used to. Test fired one target level 38 to test function and noise level. Fired fine and while no supersonic crack, did seem a bit louder than a standard velocity 22.

It just occurred to me how cool it would be to have a bolt action 357 with a tubular magazine.
    Things that make you go hmm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

No, I wouldn't buy one. But, a .357 MAX, now you got something - that I would buy!!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    I buy allot guns and threads like this are of great interest. But each time I explore a new option in an existing or new caliber I always remember the G2 and Encore frames I have and think about the options and opportunities to be unique. I think the platforms are just about perfect to play around with many different calibers.

Banned

I voted smoking crack. Why a bolt when a lever gun is plenty accurate at the range a 357 is good for and is a lot more fun! Now if ruger would chamber something like the 44 mag carbine for it or someone else came out with a semi auto id probably bite. No use for any pistol caliber round in a bolt gun.

Boolit Master

I voted no a while back, but no comment.
    I have been shooting LEVER Guns in .357MAG for maybe 40yrs. I can scope a MARLIN any time, although I prefer a peep sight. I busted more Jackrabbits with a LEVER GUN out in the Mojave than I could ever count. You can't do that with a bolt gun. Although I've done it a time or two in my youth using the ancient family M1917 converted to .257ROB'T.
    Bolt guns are for serious work, full size rifle cartridges.

Ya wanna plinking rifle, buy a .22 or else get a LEVER Gun.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Mold
    Absolutely without hesitation -
    Is this just a hypothetical question or is something up?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Ordered a 77/357 today. I usually hang out in the budget end of the rack and this'll be my most expensive gun to date. Fingers crossed I get a good one that shoots well and feeds 38's.

I really like the Ruger American Ranch Rifles, but my goal was a peep sighted offhand plinking rifle to put thousands of rounds through. The simplicity of reloading the 38 (or 357 if need be) vs 223, 300 AAC, or 7.62x39 and the availability of a peep sight tipped the scales to the 77. Plus I'm already set up for 357 and none of the others.

I've got a Benjamin 392 air rifle with a peep sight that I've put thousands of pellets through over the past two years, and would like to replicate the experience with a powder burner. I bought a Hi Point 9mm, and while accurate, it just doesn't do it for me. I looked hard at the Ruger 9 mm PC as well, but the semi autos seem to encourage blasting away vs thoughtful breathing and trigger control. I like the lighter weight/slimness of the 77 as well.
    Farmer all bets say you will like the 77/357. I've had one for 5 years and love it. Shoots jacketed boolits and cast boolits great. For copper jackets, the Hornady XTP .430 158 & 180 gr work great. Slug your bore before you shoot lead. I've killed several deer in GA with that one (all under 100 yds) and since you reload, 38 spcl is fun for small game and plinking. Got me a 77/44 too. Just getting that one dialed in with cast boolits. You may consider doing two things for this rifle. Get some bolt shims from triggershims.com and make sure the barrel is not in contact with the stock. You can also get an aftermarket trigger that will help considerably with that rifle. I lapped my barrel with JB's bore compound to give the boolits a slick ride. I really like that rifle.
    Last edited by Doubleg; 08-13-2018 at 09:04 PM.

This one, as well as it’s 44mag brother are always on my list. I have a 357mag Winchester levee fun, and a H&R in 357 mag. The Winchester is NIB, as I can’t justify shooting it when the H&R is just an absolute tack driver. My 9yr old and I can both ring a 300yd gong (with lots of hold over) with factory loads and a 4x fixed Weaver. My 13yr old and I have killed more deer than I care to count with a Ruger 99/44 semi auto. I also have a Rossi M92 in 44mag that serves as my four wheeler/truck gun. I’d love the bolt gun version of both, but they’ll have to wait until I retire in TX or AL. Only a few more years. Until then, I’ll live vicariously through you all.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doubleg View Post
    Farmer all bets say you will like the 77/357. I've had one for 5 years and love it. Shoots jacketed boolits and cast boolits great. For copper jackets, the Hornady XTP .430 158 & 180 gr work great. Slug your bore before you shoot lead. I've killed several deer in GA with that one (all under 100 yds) and since you reload, 38 spcl is fun for small game and plinking. Got me a 77/44 too. Just getting that one dialed in with cast boolits. You may consider doing two things for this rifle. Get some bolt shims from triggershims.com and make sure the barrel is not in contact with the stock. You can also get an aftermarket trigger that will help considerably with that rifle. I lapped my barrel with JB's bore compound to give the boolits a slick ride. I really like that rifle.
    Thanks! I put 90 rounds through it the other day. Once I found my hold, I was able to hit an 8 inch plate 4/5 times at 75 yards with the stock sights. Hope to do better once I do some proper load development. I got some leading near the throat but I was pushing a LLA lubed ACWW boolit pretty hard with Promo. I cleaned it with chore boy and JB. Should be fine if I back off the load a bit. I tried a 360 DW case in it and it has a much shorter chamber than my Handi had. Not even a chance it will chamber, where it chambered easily in the Handi. Word of warning though, I let the bolt lugs get a bit dry and the one doing most of the work (Ruger tolerances at work here) tried to gall up a bit. I did some light polishing, lubed them up with some lithium grease and it seems to be okay, but something to be aware of. I also ordered a Wolff trigger spring for it to see what it does before jumping to the Volquartsen sear. As it sits, the trigger is not bad at all, just a touch of creep and maybe a 5lb pull. A 1 lb reduction would make me pretty happy with it. Still got a peep sight to order, but I'm going to see what I can do with the stock sights to start with. I've also got a pipe dream of carving a wood stock for it, one with a touch more meat on it. Not sure if it'll happen or not, it'd be my first, but winter is coming...

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast