Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bugs!

Quote Originally Posted by Porterhouse View Post
    What the best way to keep them off?
    "Deep Woods" bug spray or a Red Ryder BB gun work wonders around here for me.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    Anyone use a Thermacell when hunting? I like to hunt yotes when I go to North Dakota every summer and the mesquitos eat me up.
    Greatest invention since peanut butter. I have probably spent over $300.00 purchasing all kinds of gimmicks from the sonic gadget to citronella candles – you name it and I probably bought it at one time or another. Nothing worked, so I quit wasting my money on all these false advertisements. Well, 2 years ago I heard about this product and thought it was a gimmick as well. I kept reading reports from Alaskan hunters & fisherman and decided to “waste” my last $30.00 on mosquitoes – Best money I ever spent for sitting around a campfire in a deep woods sitting. I haven't used it in the hunting fields but we use it at home for late afternoon cookouts and fishing trips. In a large open make-shift eating shelter we used 3 handheld units and they kept all bugs out. Took about 5 minutes to clear them out but once gone, they stayed gone. In the back yard we use 4 of the hand held units and they keep 99% of the mosquitoes away from everyone at the tables. If you’re on the move I doubt these units will provide the protection you’re looking for but it would be worth a try. For still hunting I think they would be great.

Ron, EPA won't allow the importation of Bushman - I had a large order intercepted somewhere on its journey here - never arrived and never heard why but I have had a guy bring me back some from Aus, so I have enough for another couple of years and then will have a few more tubes couriered in.

Boolit Buddy
    Your question was how to keep them off. I think that has been answered quite well. Since you don't know if you got bit or stung I will tell what we do here in Florida after a bite. I haven't tried it on a sting yet. Mosquito bites, deer fly bites swell me up and itch like crazy. I carry plain old house hold ammonia in small plastic containers in my truck, in my boat, in my range bag and sometimes in my pocket. If you can't keep these critters from biting then a drop on the bite will stop the itching and swelling in just a few seconds. It works. Thanks Jim

Boolit Master

For sting first aid I use ammonia inhalants from the first aid kit. Bug bites and stinging nettle.
    Long story,short version, 4 day hike,spring,shorts......drug my naked leg thru a nettle.......HOLY MOLEY.....what to do? Nettle poison is the same as ant stings,formic acid(I think), break out the ammonia in the handy no leak containers,crush same,add 2-3 drops of water and swab area. INSTANT relief.
    As kids we put "blueing",from the laundry room, on the ant bites. Same affect. Another base that countered the acid? I just know it worked,and you had coll blue spots on your arms and legs.
    Can we do a group buy on this "Bushman"? I want to try it.
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Boolit Master

What the best way to keep them off?
    Start shooting real black powder. The smoke clears bugs and other shooters away from your bench.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys!
    Well, I decide to just ignor them when I had to do some yard work on Friday. Then, got bitten by black flys (I know what they were this time). Somehow they found out my left ear was the tastest and attacked there inside out. I don't know how many bites all togather but It looks disgustingly red and itchy like hell! I am going to look into the "Tharmacell" now.

Boolit Buddy
    Ah, Blackflies.....

They will do a number on you for sure. We have them in abundance up here this year. (Maine is known for blackflies) They will eat you, and then carry off what is left over for later.

I have been wearing my favorite Beretta cap with bug dope on it and my hooded fleece camo jacket that GW bought me a couple years ago with the hood up, (yes, even in the heat I do it) just to water the garden. Those little buggers even get inside the hood.

My ears are bit, my neck, my legs, you name it.

They love Gray Wolf too. And we eat a ton of garlic, take our vit's and nothing seems to keep them off us. I guess they just like sweet meat, lol.

Even the pup is getting chewed on.

What we use on the bites is Calendula gel. Takes the itch/sting out right away and if you DON"T scratch the bite it will go away in about 3 days. You can get the Calendula at the local health food store.
    I am growing it in the herb bed this year as we seem to go thru a tube every two weeks up here for one thing or another. And with the pup getting so chewed up it will last even less than that.

Warning to black fly victims, do NOT scratch the bite as it just makes it last longer.

I wish they were bigger, I would have shot them yesterday at the range. They drove me right off the pistol range. Told GW I just couldn't take anymore. Hard to concentrate on your shooting when you have 30 or 40 of those things under your glasses, on your hands, in your ears.......

Oh and the skeeters are out too. We have those helicopter sized ones up here. Between the skeeters and the blackflies, it's not a lot of fun outside in May/June.....
    These guys actually LIKE DEET. Does not bother them one bit. I think they have drank so much of it that they are actually immune to it.

Time to get out the head nets!
    Wife to Gray Wolf. It was time to get my own handle I guess cause

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I love Arizona. The only thing that bothers us at the range is honey bees that are drawn in by the alox/beeswax lube and the shot concussions. I keep my soda can covered and seldom have a problem.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Grand Master

Walmart carries Off in a little pump bottle that is 100% Deet. Works well.

One of the other companies, can't remember who, might be Johnson & Johnson is selling a device like Thermacell.

A friend that lives in Texas with alot of bugs told my wife to buy me a Clorox gel bleach pen. It has 2 different swabs, one on each end. Swab the bite or sting as soon as you can. It does work for mosquitos and ants that have got me.

I'm react with quite a bit of swelling and itching from just a mosquito bite, so this is a really good thing for me.

Boolit Master
    bleach is also the best thing to put on poison ivy out breaks, scrub bleach right into it until it stings, and gone in the morning, at least for me. A pharmacy friend told me about it, thought she was crazy, but it works.