Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bugs!

Boolit Buddy

Bugs!

I got stung by one of those at the range this Monday. May be a bee or a horse fly? I don't know as it happened so fast. My middle finger, where I got stung, swelled up to the size of thumb and it still hurts & itchy. I hate them buzzing around, especially when you try to concentrate on the sight. What the best way to keep them off?

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Use a spray called "OFF"

OFF!® insect repellent, protects from mosquito, tick and bug bites ... OFF! personal

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Porterhouse View Post
    What the best way to keep them off?
    Kill it or them......................... Next is bug spray.

I'm highly allergic to bee/wasp venom, so I take the little critters seriously. THE secret is to NOT try to wave them away. You'll only get them mad if you bat at them. Stay still if they are investigating you - even if they land. Do NOT swat at them whatever you do. They won't find anything of interest to them and will quickly fly away.

But start batting at them, and the war is on.

Moderator Emeritus

B u g s p r a y.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

In Remembrance
    What the best way to keep them off?
    Stay in the house. Turn up the air conditioner. Eat nachos. Watch TV. Be safe. Be happy.
    The government will make sure your nacho stuff is fit to eat, the TV shows are safe to watch, and no lead or asbestos will harm you in your house.

OR...

Say to heck with government hugging.
    Go outside and play manly games with manly toys. Accept the fact that bug bites, sprained ankles, and lightning strikes are a few of many hazards, and accept them all as part of life.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Maybe some ratshot in the six shooter would do the trick. When they get into buzzing range , let em have it. If nothing else it will add to yer fun.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master

Eat Garlic.
    Bugs do not like Garlic.
    You gotta eat a lot though. It has to come out your pores.
    A good byproduct. You might feel better as well.

Boolit Master

I'm allergic to bees and wasps.

I ignore them.

Ever since I stopped worrying about em, they stopped bothering me.

Works.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Banned
    I got stung by one of those at the range this Monday. May be a bee or a horse fly? I don't know as it happened so fast. My middle finger, where I got stung, swelled up to the size of thumb and it still hurts & itchy. I hate them buzzing around, especially when you try to concentrate on the sight. What the best way to keep them off?
    One of what? Was it a sting or a bite? Flies bite, using mandibles or mouthparts. Bees, wasps, and many ants sting, using a stinger on the end of the abdoman. Most bee species leave the stinger and venom sack behind when they sting, easy to see. They can only sting once and then they die. Wasps have a smooth stinger, and can sting until they are tired of stinging you, or you smush 'em.

Foraging bees and wasps are not aggressive, nesting ones will aggresively defend the nesting site. Look for nesting close to your shooting bench.

Banned

409 spray, spray a mist of 409 at them and it will kill them.

Boolit Master

Use them for target practice! We used to play a game at local benchrest matches called the JD Clampett shoot after Jed on the Beverley Hillbillies TV show. Put a piece of white construction paper at 100 yards, divide it into 4 squares with molasses or honey in each section and shoot at the house flies that land in your square. We shot for $1.00 a shot. It's amazing how many house flys you can kill at 100 yards with a Bench gun!

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Yep, they have a much better chance when using boolits at a hunnert. If missing too many for continued interest, try the 50 yard range to increase the odds of a perfect score by more than 50 percent. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

You'll play hell trying to obtain this repellent but it's the best I've ever found and that includes using 100% deet - the 100% goop used over in 'Nam was about as good but that stuff didn't last too long, melted plastic and left a tin taste in your mouth, so you knew your kidneys were taking a beating at the same time. If you know someone travelling to Australia or know someone over there - have them send/bring a jug or two back, you won't be sorry. SC Johnson makes sure it does not reach our shores, as it's not EPA certified and they want no competition from this bad boy.

http://www.bushman-repellent.com/

Moderator Emeritus

Ignoring yellow jackets brings on bites for me. I eat garlic, vitamins C, D, E and a multi which are supposed to help and they get me whenever. I swat to kill all that land and am rarely without spray. i use 100 % deet in a non -aerosol pump type. It is just a fact of the outdoors. A penny placed on the area hit is supposed to reduce swelling.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I am well known among my family as the best tasting old man in the area, all biting bugs go for me, I have at least 3 black horse flies and a small gray one that lurk just outside my front door and compete to see who gets first chomp.
    Yesterday one got me on the arm so sneakily I did not know he had a bite to eat until the blood started running down my arm.
    At least this place does not have deer flies and buffalo gnats or the ultimate prey species, NOSEEUMS!
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

Boolit Master

Sounds like you got stung by a wasp.
    WD-40 will put em down.
    I don't know if it poisons them, suffocates them or if it burns their eyes so much they die from stinging at it, but it works.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Ole 5 hole group, Bushman Insect Repelant can now be ordered on line. There is also a "Currency Converter" on site to work out AUD$ to whatever currency.

I use it at the range and we keep a tube in the family car. Works better than anything I have used previously
    Ron.

FESTINA LENTE

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Been using this product for about 10 years with great results.

http://www.buggspray.com/

The last order was for a case of the stuff.

Anyone use a Thermacell when hunting? I like to hunt yotes when I go to North Dakota every summer and the mesquitos eat me up.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast