Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Patch Paper...Found it!

Boolit Buddy
    Paper mill stuff will probably do me but out of curiosity what does that Crane paper mic John?

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    If you choose to listen rather than ignore me, you'll just have to put up with my browbeating, knitpicking, and trolling for argument's...without further complaint.
    If I say something TO YOU which you find unkind, you are welcome to call me on it...

CM
    Sound's good to me.
    After all were all here to live and learn.

Boolit Bub
    It'd be interesting to try some drafting vellum... it's not paper at all, it's parched calf skin. Very tough.

Boolit Master
    thats odd all the drafting vellum that I find is 100% cotton fiber.

KW
    The Lunger

Boolit Grand Master

I have several rolls of vellum and it is rather thick, stiff, doesn't soak up water well and is hard to wrap. By my guesstimate it is paper and definitely not calf skin.

I have used several other papers that wrap quite nicely so gave up on this.

If I could find good thin clarified calf skin I would be using it for bow backing not boolit patching.

Where I work , the old drawings were were done on waxed linen in India ink. That goes back to the early 1900's.

In about the 1950's they switched to velum.

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    Well, never mind then... I guess the stuff I got my hands on back in engineering school was the exception rather than the rule.

I stand corrected.

Boolit Buddy

Wink

Zuke and MC : I haven't gotten into PPB yet , But am interested in setting up my Martini action (45-70) and trying that for fun. to the point, it is interesting about hearing MC state the flax when "retted" (read that as rotting" to get the outer bark-like cover off of the fibers) is where the linen fibers comes from . Not to sound too "Know it all", I have known about that for 10-15 years for making bow strings. I personally don't think that MC was trying to troll. Just my .02cents for what it is worth for any who may care.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Quote Originally Posted by powderburnerr View Post
    Its ok Charlie , I probably read more into it than I should have ,I apologize as well. I always use "opinion" because I shoot alone so much .....Dean
    Dean

Yep...me as well! Most times I feel kinda like the 'Lonely Magtag Repair Man'!! Ya know....the only thing bad about shooting by ourselves....is we don't have anyone to argue with!! Maybe we need to get together more on Skype after our shooting sessions so we can strike up a good argument!!

I guess..since noone has mentioned this....possibly we could start up a Postal Match event (course this would have to be a gentleman's agreement type of deal with honesty being required so....????? hmmmm...reckon that might work?) where we would decide on a standard target and distance fired and then we could post photos of our targets.

Course the ONE GOOD THING about shooting by ourselves is that noone has to hear when we holler SHXXXXXXXXXXXT after a bad shot!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234