Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Bad Day at Red Rock

Boolit Master

Bad Day at Red Rock

Being a beautiful day I was enticed to the range by my wife and we had at the paper targets and a lonely gong at 25 yds.

She has a new Scyy 9 MM pistol that I cleaned and lubed but was unable to get back into battery so it did not make the trip to the range Monday. It will take a ride to the gunnie for consultations on Tuesday.

I brought my Browning Hi Power 9 MM but I did not remember to bring the magazines. Duh?

I brought my EAA Witness Match Elite all steel 9 MM pistol and we had it at with that as well as a Smith 586 6" bbl and my .44 Bulldog.

At the end of the second magazine the EAA was jammed. The chamber was clear but the slide would not retract fully and I put it down and left it alone as we had more guns to shoot.

Later on during a lull in the shooting I got the EAA unjammed by smacking the back end of the slide against a carpeted concrete shooting tabletop. Then upon partail disassembly I found a very dirty gun (my bad) and a barrel that I could not remove from the slide. I put the whole thing away for future consideration.

After a good night's sleep I think I may have bulged the barrel with an excessively robust handload. I had been loading a 130 gr HP cast boolit with 3.2 gr of Unique but the Dillon powder measure is not the most consistent measure and it may have thrown a heavy charge or more likely I double charged the casing with 6.4 gr or so of Unique when I was forced to remove a 380 casing from the works during a reloading session.

Those pesky 380's somehow always migrate into my stash of 9 MM cases no matter how much sorting and examination the stash gets. When they go thru the Dillon casefeeder, they being shorter in height than the 9 MM casing, they jam the injection of a new case and I hafta stop everything and remove the offending 380 case with a deft manipulation of an antique screwdriver.

I caught myself with two overfull cases of powder the other day as I am usually very diligent when I am loading 9 mm's cuz they can KABOOM if you don't watch what you are doing.

I suppose now I am going to have to spring for a new barrel for the EAA if we can remove the old one from the slide. It just ain't coming out without some help.

I may have to go back to loading the 9's on the Dillon Square Deal press as it is pretty much impossible to double charge a case in that press as it auto indexes. That would be a shame since I can load these rounds much faster in the 550 with the casefeeder than the Square Deal press.

I suppose faster ain't always better.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

Perfect excuse to start getting new uppers for that EAA! Let's see.....40 cal, .22, 10MM, 45 ACP...
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Corrigan View Post
    Being a beautiful day I was enticed to the range by my wife and we had at the paper targets and a lonely gong at 25 yds.

She has a new Scyy 9 MM pistol that I cleaned and lubed but was unable to get back into battery so it did not make the trip to the range Monday. It will take a ride to the gunnie for consultations on Tuesday.

I brought my Browning Hi Power 9 MM but I did not remember to bring the magazines. Duh?

I brought my EAA Witness Match Elite all steel 9 MM pistol and we had it at with that as well as a Smith 586 6" bbl and my .44 Bulldog.

At the end of the second magazine the EAA was jammed. The chamber was clear but the slide would not retract fully and I put it down and left it alone as we had more guns to shoot.

Later on during a lull in the shooting I got the EAA unjammed by smacking the back end of the slide against a carpeted concrete shooting tabletop. Then upon partail disassembly I found a very dirty gun (my bad) and a barrel that I could not remove from the slide. I put the whole thing away for future consideration.

After a good night's sleep I think I may have bulged the barrel with an excessively robust handload. I had been loading a 130 gr HP cast boolit with 3.2 gr of Unique but the Dillon powder measure is not the most consistent measure and it may have thrown a heavy charge or more likely I double charged the casing with 6.4 gr or so of Unique when I was forced to remove a 380 casing from the works during a reloading session.

Those pesky 380's somehow always migrate into my stash of 9 MM cases no matter how much sorting and examination the stash gets. When they go thru the Dillon casefeeder, they being shorter in height than the 9 MM casing, they jam the injection of a new case and I hafta stop everything and remove the offending 380 case with a deft manipulation of an antique screwdriver.

I caught myself with two overfull cases of powder the other day as I am usually very diligent when I am loading 9 mm's cuz they can KABOOM if you don't watch what you are doing.

I suppose now I am going to have to spring for a new barrel for the EAA if we can remove the old one from the slide. It just ain't coming out without some help.

I may have to go back to loading the 9's on the Dillon Square Deal press as it is pretty much impossible to double charge a case in that press as it auto indexes. That would be a shame since I can load these rounds much faster in the 550 with the casefeeder than the Square Deal press.

I suppose faster ain't always better.
    get the brass sorting screens from midway or dillon and sort your 9's before reloading. it will drop the 380's.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master

Mike in CO: My order to Midway for the sorting screens along with the 380 adapter and a Hornady Cam Lever Bullet puller with 9 MM, 6.5 and .44 collets has inconvenienced a whole bunch of electrons by this time.

I need to spend some more time cleaning my firearms and maintaining them and consequently my casting will put on the down low for a while.

As for converting that Witness to another caliber............nah! I like the 9 MM for plinking and general shooting. Cheap to shoot and gazllions of casings avialable.

However if I ever get my paws on a either a Ruger BH or a decent Smith in .44 Special is will be doing a lot more shooting in that caliber.

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

I just got back from the gunshop. Gunny sez the barrel has a hole blasted through it and it is cracked to the muzzle.

He is right! My bad! So it actually was a KABOOM. Discussed it more with SWMBO and she recalls the recoil was nasty and took the gun up to over her head and it hurt her hand. Additonally some black gunk ended up on her right cheek just below the eye. I am lucky that is all the discomfort she suffered.

The gun is now on the way back to the manufacturer for examination.

I got a feeling this is going to cost me some more money.

Boolit Grand Master

What is a "brand new Scyy 9mm pistol"?

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

That Dillon powder measure will keep loading withing .01 of a grain all day long. The only way you could have over charged is operator error. Were you using a 550? You have to remember to rotate the shell plate. I also look inside the cases on my 550 but you can buy the double charge accessory.

Once I set my powder measure I'll load 1000 to 2000 bullets before I check it again. It still doesn't need adjustments but it's a good time to take a break and clean things up.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

Boolit Buddy
    Swmbo = ?

Moderator Emeritus

She Who Must be Obeyed aka wife.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Crash, I'm glad that if you were going to KB a pistol, it was all steel and that your wife wasn't hurt. Whatever it costs is far less than an ER bill.

Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
    That Dillon powder measure will keep loading withing .01 of a grain all day long.
    Agreed. I generally don't have the patience to go 2000 rounds straight, so I check more frequently, but the measures are consistent. When I use my 550 I clip a cheap flexible neck reading light to the bench and move the light around so I can see the powder in the case as it moves to the next station.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master

Update on the Kaboom

It was not a hot load that caused the mishap. It was a squib load. The SWMBO did not recognize a pop instead of a blam when the squib went off. The primer had enuf steam to eject the empty and bring up a fresh round from the magazine.

However it did not have enuf power to eject the lead boolit from the barrel. So when SWMBO let go the next round the barrel was obstructed with the previous round.

Keep in mind that this is the same SWMBO who had the car overheat....she drove the car home anyway and was told by yours truley that if the light goes on that indicates overheating you need to stop the car now and call for help because if it happens again we might need a new engine instead of just a hose.

Two weeks later the same problem happens again. The red warning light goes on, the themrostadt shows a hot engine the the lady still ignores everything and drives the car home. As she pulls into the drive the engine seized up. Cylinders and block melted together.

So I really cannot expect a person with such a track record to remember what I have always told her.....if the gun goes pop instead of bang......stop everything and tell me......

Again she ignored me and the EAA people tell me that I need a new barrel. At least the gun hung together and nobody got hurt.

This is the same person who has had the Fire Department out to the house for 2 instances where she forget a plastic microwave pot was in the oven when she decided to bake something.

I am considering restricting her to the most complicated machinery she is capable of mastering.....a set of knitting needles.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Crash Corrigan;931188I am considering restricting her to the most complicated machinery she is capable of mastering.....a set of knitting needles.[/QUOTE]

You MIGHT want to reconsider that!!!! If you make SWMBO angry she might just turn into a none! I'm SURE you don't want that.

NO cooking
    NO cleaning
    NO doing the laundry
    NO grocery shopping
    and worst of all NO SEX

WOMEN!!! You cant live with em and you can't do without em!

Super Moderator

................I'm sorry to hear of the mishaps, but at least your wife likes to go shoot. Wives are great things to have around, but their brains ARE wired differently. Not bad, just different The wife today bought a moterized mobil for the new grandbaby. It's designed to clamp to the slats of a crib. We don't have a crib. We have a kind of double decker playpen thing with net fabric type stuff hung on a tube frame setup.

I was looking at the mobil thing and trying to figure out how to attach it. She chirps up and says "You have a lathe, can't you go out there and make something to make it work"? She knows I make stuff on it, ergo .................. So, the pistol may have gone 'POP' instead of KA-BLAM! To her it still did what it was supposed to do, and in the female mind that means it "Worked" = No problem

BTW, I did get the mobil thing attached and didn't even have to go NEAR the lathe to do it, either!

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Sorry to hear about your mishap, glad only a barrel needed to be replaced. Wives are harder to replace. I did not get married until I was 40, consequently I cherish mine dearly, as I am sure you do yours. I am curious to hear the report from EAA regarding your pistol, if anything else turns up wrong with it. I shot a friends EAA nine last summer. Ever since he got it used he had been complaining that the safety kept getting activated and that it was defective. Sent it back several times but they found nothing. I kept telling him it was the way he held it when he fired it. I am a lefty and never had the problem. Guess I should have bought it from him when he thought it was a lemon, it seemed like a great pistol.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master

Buckshot and Hounddog:

We got divorced in '06 but stiil are friends. The sex thing died early in '03, I pay for the cleaning lady, she cooks as required to keep alive but she bakes like a house afire.

Two alpha people cannot live under the same roof. We don't. I have my place and Sgt. Rambo. She has her place and Snickers, Angel and Rocky the cat. We get together 2 or 3 times a week to break bread and hang out. We are there for each other as the best of friends and ex lovers but we still enjoy our time together.

If she goes off on a rant and loses her cool....I just pack up my dog and leave. The next day she calls to apologize for her losing it. It is the nature of the beast. If we were still married I could not retreat to my man cave and other life...I would have to stay there and confront her and world war III could erupt.

It is much more civilized this way and nobody gets their feelings hurt too bad. I am tired of fighting over inconsequential **** that women get their dander up over. It is not worth the trouble.

The sex part is highly overrated as the men do most of the work in that area of behaviour and the amount of money ya pay to keep a woman ain't enuf to guarantee a reliable and complaint partner when you are in the mood. Again it ain't worth it.

Do you really think having to walk a tightrope for two weeks just in the hope that your mate might be in the mood for some sex is worth the twenty minutes it takes to do the deed? I got tired of asking and being told no (substitute any of those female reasons) I can't right now. "Well, OK then when?" "Don't pressure me!."

I stopped asking for it and she never made a first move and finally the marriage fell apart since there was no longer a physical relationship. She waited until I got into some legal difficulties and then while I was down and needing help she threw me out, got a bogus restraining order against me and took me to the cleaners financially.

Now she wants me to move back in? No way Jose. Burned once was enuf. It ain't worth it.

I have my Dog, motorcycle, guns, casting and reloading and a few friends. I no longer need nor desire a person to tell me what to do, when to do it and have the power of the almighty Vagina hold me in check. It ain't worth it.

She told me last year to sell the Motorcycle as she was worried about me killing myself on it. I told her that when we were married she had a say in something like that but now.....No way.

You made your choice to eject me from the house and the marriage. You have lost the right to demand, control, supervise or even suggest how I live my life when you filed for a divorce based on BS. The subject is closed and I do not want it brought up again. And you can keep your snide wise butted remarks to yourself as I do not care to hear them.

Since then the subject has not come up again.

I think I am gonna take out the cost of the new barrel for the EAA Witness from her Alimoney check as she again ignored my instructions about mechanical things. Maybe if it costs her some money she may learn something.

Boolit Master

Dan,
    Sorry you and the X had so much trouble, but am glad you all get along. That would not be the case with me! I also hope you realize my post was ment as humor and not something else. If I offended you I am sorry.

houndog

Boolit Master
    I thought I remembered Crash was divorced and was wondering,"Who is this wife?"

Boolit Buddy
    I just L'dMAO. Crash, you're allright, I don't care what she says about ya.

Boolit Master
    Just to mirror what others have said, get you some Shell Sorters. The majority of my handloading is for 9mm so the ever present .380 brass is the bain of existance in my house too. I run an XL650 but it fouls up the machine just the same. I used to have to hand sort my brass to "clean" it of unwanted calibers. A long, dirty, tedious and tiring job when you have thousands to go through. After awhile, you are bound to slip up and mix up. Those Shell Sorters are wonderful! Makes quick work of a dirty job! Highly recommend to anyone who has volumes of brass to process. They come in a set of 3 sorters and the plate that culls out .380 is an additional piece as is the .38 Super plate.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master
    Seven year old thread resurrection. If that is not a record it must be close.