Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebay Insanity - Price for H&G 68 mould

Boolit Mold

Ebay Insanity - Price for H&G 68 mould

I found a H&G 4-cavity mould on ebay yesterday that was incorrectly described as for a 38-super bullet mould. The mould looked to be in very good shape and with 1.5 hours to go the high bid was about $80. I bought 2 of these for $185 and $215 about two years ago and don't need this mold but I thought if I could get it for $125 or so it would be a good investment. With 45 minutes left on the auction, the bidding got to over $200 so no more good buy opportunity. For curiosity sake, I watched the end of the auction and to my great surprise the final selling price was a whopping $415!!!!!

that's not a typo. Originally, I was thinking that the bad economy would lower casting equipment prices but I know think that economic conditions are causing a lot more shooters to get into reloading and casting thus driving up prices.

archer gravely
    asheville, nc

Banned

wow! that's nuts!

gravely, where in Asheville are you?

I'm in Arden near the airport.

oh yea, welcome! There are 3 or 4 others that are local who are also on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by gravely View Post
    For curiosity sake, I watched the end of the auction and to my great surprise the final selling price was a whopping $415!!!!!

that's not a typo. Originally, I was thinking that the bad economy would lower casting equipment prices but I know think that economic conditions are causing a lot more shooters to get into reloading and casting thus driving up prices.
    It was a plain base #68 in pretty darn good condition. Based on over 10 years of eBay auction data my notes speculated this mould would close at $450.00

If anything (my opinion), the high bidder got it at a discount. The supply of Hensley & Gibbs moulds is forever fixed. Prices will probably continue to increase but I think we've hit the point of diminishing returns. At some point, only fanatical collectors (yours truly) will pay insane prices when viable alternatives exist.
    Last edited by Texasflyboy; 05-25-2010 at 09:06 AM.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Boolit Master
    Funny a friend of mine that casts recently had someone give him a H&G 78 4 cavity with handles, still in the box, never used, postmarked Oct 1965.

I about fell over when he pulled it out of the box,

Boolit Master
    Wow! 415 dollars for a 4 cavity mould... I could see that for an 8 cavity or 10 cavity mould. But for a 4 cavity.......But Texasflyboy knows more about this than I do....Wes
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!

Boolit Master
    I thought I was being extravagant spending $100 on the NOE group buy 38 mould. Dang...

Banned

You could get a 10C from NOE for cheaper than the H&G!

wow is right.

Boolit Master

Yesterday, I won a saeco/redding #458 double cavity w/handles barely used for 63.00 + 8.00 shipping. It looks real nice in the photo. I thought that was a good buy. I should get it in a couple of days.
    Jack

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, I bought my H&G 68 on eBay a few years ago for about $115 IIRC.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    I watched one H&G ebay auction and promptly bought a Mihec mold.

I'm happy.

Boolit Master

I was watching that auction. It was a beautiful piece. Trust me when I say this - your gun will not know the diff between that one and one of our good clones!! I quit looking when it got over like 225.00 enjoy Mike

People will pay what they think an item is worth TO THEM. What it's worth to somebody else is irrelevant.

Watch "Antiques Roadshow" a few times and you'll marvel at what "auction prices" will fetch for items that I'd consider nearly worthless. Nearly worthless to ME is clearly not true for everyone!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bdutro View Post
    I watched one H&G ebay auction and promptly bought a Mihec mold.

I'm happy.
    Ditto.

Haha, a local guy here showed me his collection of H&G molds. He's got 38 molds in total and about a dozen of them are the 10 banger gang molds. He's sitting on quite a little rainy day fund. All were bought new between him and his two brothers.

Boolit Master
    I have 16 8 and 10 cavity H & G moulds, I think, they are only worth what someone else is willing to pay. But right now it appears that some of them are worth a lot. Who knows what will happen in the future....Wes
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!

[QUOTE At some point, only fanatical collectors (yours truly) will pay insane prices when viable alternatives exist.[/QUOTE]

Hey Tom....I'll remember that!
    Donald in NH

We will see that one come up again

Quote Originally Posted by gravely View Post
    I found a H&G 4-cavity mould on ebay yesterday that was incorrectly described as for a 38-super bullet mould. The mould looked to be in very good shape and with 1.5 hours to go the high bid was about $80. I bought 2 of these for $185 and $215 about two years ago and don't need this mold but I thought if I could get it for $125 or so it would be a good investment. With 45 minutes left on the auction, the bidding got to over $200 so no more good buy opportunity. For curiosity sake, I watched the end of the auction and to my great surprise the final selling price was a whopping $415!!!!!

archer gravely
    asheville, nc
    One thing I have noticed.....when a mould goes for an insane price (like this one appears to have) the buyer suddenly remembers that he has a mortgage payment, a car payment, etc,. and the bidder backs out. The item is relisted two weeks later.
    I would not be the least bit surprised if that happens here.

Boolit Master
    Goodness! That's a bundle of of cash for a four cavity!

I think I paid $125.00 brand new with handles for mine. But that was 25 years go.

Luckily my inventory of H&G molds were purchased about that time:

Two four cavity #68 ( One is the old style with the .060 bevel and thin front driving band.. Milled .045 off the mold to produce a 185 grn # 68)

Two new style eight cavity #68

One old style eight cavity # 68 converted to 185 grn.

One ten cavity 38 mold

six assorted six cavity molds

Too bad they went out of business.

Boolit Master
    You can still buy moulds that are like H & G moulds from Ballisti-cast. But you can not get the 8 and 10 cavity ones. However most people don't need that much production anyway. I only have mine because I used to cast commecially and sold only hand cast boolits, I needed the production of running two at a time....Wes

Well, it looks like I scored big time- I got one H&G in .45-195gr.(4 cav.)
    1 .38 wadcutter Lyman (4 cav.),
    1 Lyman 9mm 124 gr. (4 cav)
    1 Lyman .45 roundball mould
    1 2 cavity .38 158 RN (a little beat)
    Plus handles for H&G moulds, Lyman 4 cav.
    2 ingot moulds
    1 RCBS Bottom Pour Pro Melt furnace
    .356,.357,451 sizers + top punches

All stuff in used but very good condition, except .38 roundnose mould, which need a little TLC
    All for $500 Canadian plus shipping-so just over $600.

What do you guys figure? Good deal?

I had no idea H&G moulds were so pricey
    Who Is John Galt?

NFA Member

Don't Steal-The Gov't Hates Competition