Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: New Savage Slug Gun

Banned

New Savage Slug Gun

Savage has a brand new slug gun out. It's built on the 110 action with a rifled free floated heavy barrel, special fiber glass stock with pillar bedding, and the Accu-Trigger. It's in 20 gauge because they said there are better sabot slugs out for that gauge and that is also shoots flatter then the 12 gauge. Dick Metcaff tested it and it shot an inch 3 or 5 shot groups at 100 yards. He shot 3 to 4 inch groups at 200 yards.

Sounds like THE slug gun.

I just ordered mine about a week ago and should be here any day, I also ordered a Nikon BDC 200 slug scope 1.65-5, I have read you need to use the EGW picatinny savage round rear for 110 othere wise you may have problems with the spent cases hitting the scope, I also heard you have to cycle the bolt farily aggressively otherwise you can have stovepipes if you do it to gently, I am excited to see how it shoots, I plan on shooting reminton accutips, that is what savage recommends. Todd
    Last edited by duke76; 05-25-2010 at 08:21 AM.

Banned
    Let us know how it shoots Todd. Con graduations on a nice slug gun.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Sounds like a mean mother!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

If you want mean, some crazy guys are getting Rocky Mtn Cartridge to make turned cases to match the chamber, using 900gr. cast bullets, and beating 600NE ballistics by a good margin. Yee haw!

Cast Boolits Owner

Do you have a link to info on those? It seems very interesting.

R.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    If you want mean, some crazy guys are getting Rocky Mtn Cartridge to make turned cases to match the chamber, using 900gr. cast bullets, and beating 600NE ballistics by a good margin. Yee haw!
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Banned
    I did something similar to that when I owned a H&R heavy barrel rifled slug gun. I used shot shell but made my own jacketed lead core bullet that weight around 300 grains. Pretty devastating.

Threads about it are mostly on Nitro express and Accurate Reloading. I see Dixie Slugs and Beartooth have ready made bullets available. In order to get really high pressure they're fitting those actions with heavier wall barrels, but with the factory barrel and turned cases to fit properly it's still PLENTY powerful. Looks like a fun thing to play with if you feel the need for recoil.

Slug Master in Remembrance
    What we are doing with turned cases is making them
    3.5" long and lengthening chambers to match, and we
    can also shoot 3.5" factory Hastings slugs, in Savage and
    those NEFs not already 3.5". Complete info and pictures
    on the 12gA FH thread.Ed

hubel458 Can you post a link?

Well I finally had a chance to sight it in this past weekend and was very pleased, I shot it Saturday afternoon and it was extremely windy and I still managed a 1.5-2 inch groups at 100 yards, which I'm sure I could do better without the wind. The Accutrigger is awesome and way better than any other shotgun trigger I have ever tried. Todd

Boolit Buddy
    One of these is on my list of things to buy, right up there near the top.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    Savage has a brand new slug gun out. It's built on the 110 action with a rifled free floated heavy barrel, special fiber glass stock with pillar bedding, and the Accu-Trigger. It's in 20 gauge because they said there are better sabot slugs out for that gauge and that is also shoots flatter then the 12 gauge. Dick Metcaff tested it and it shot an inch 3 or 5 shot groups at 100 yards. He shot 3 to 4 inch groups at 200 yards.

Sounds like THE slug gun.
    Actually you're a bit late !

I had one by August of 2009 ! And no I didn't get it from Savage to make a report on ! Came straight from our distributer !

Used it last season to take a deer at a measured 125 yards with the Remington 2 3/4" AccuTip" sabot slug ! Deer went maybe 20 yards after the shot !

The "new" one is the Savage 212 ! And while I've not had a 212 in my hands "It looks" like the old 210F with a detachable mag and accutrigger !

If I didn't already have a nice 210F 12 gauge I'd be seriousely considering a Savage 212 ! Heck might even get a 212 just for the heck of it anyway !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Sounds like a mean mother!
    Nope !

Recoil in my Savage 220 with a factory 2 3/4" sabot slug is no worse then say a 270 WIN in a 8 pound rifle !

I've shot some very nice groups with my Savage 220 over the last year !

Mostly with the Remington 2 3/4" AccuTip , but also some with the Hornady SST and a couple with the Federal Barnes Tipped 3" . I don't really see the need for a 3" shell in this gun , but to each his own !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines