Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How about another Postal Match?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by home in oz View Post
    Why not a stardized target?

You could post it here.....
    That's been tried before. Just a few of the problems...

Different printers will make the "standard" target slightly different sizes (sometimes not so slight).
    Not everyone will have access to the same commercial targets.
    It's hard to measure groups or score close targets on a computer screen.
    Last edited by imashooter2; 08-13-2010 at 07:07 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by home in oz View Post
    Why not a stardized target?

You could post it here.....
    I'm gonna just measure the group, so it does not really matter what your aiming at, if you like circles, or squares, or triangles, or an "X" or a "+" use it, in whatever color you can do your best with.

This is a "group measurement" contest, not a "score" contest.

If you like, you can tear out a picture of your "favorite" whatever out of a magazine and use that to shoot at!

John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

first try

Well I tried but the results are not really good, still I am posting a pic.
    Guess that means I'll have to visit the range again
    The load needs some more work, too.

Hubertus

Boolit Master

Interesting . . . how big is the outside of the biggest ring? How far apart are the rings
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

As I said the "group", if you want to call that so is not really good.

The target used is a BDS scope 300m target.
    Dimensions are:
    bullseye 50 mm
    10 ring 100 mm
    every next ring 50 mm
    diameter of the 5 ring is 600 mm

The right side of the score sheet shows the group size.
    First line: group diameter 422 mm
    Second line heigth of the group 198 mm
    Third line width of the group 399 mm

To my defence this target was shot at 200 m I didn't print the 100 m targets because I decided I should be doing better for my first postal match.

Hubertus

Boolit Master

Just over two weeks left!

Let the lead fly!

I'm going to a Appleseed this Saturday!

Boolit Grand Master

Well, September has really been a disappointment. I've been working 10- 12 hour days 7 days a week. At this point it looks like the only targets I'm going to have to send in are the two I already posted, rimfire and 50 yard offhand.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, my 2 targets are in the mail. Disappointing that with all that time I didn't get more accomplished. The range closings on my day off really hurt the effort.

Boolit Master

Time is ticking!

Imashooter2, I got your targets last night, both are better than I have been doing!

I have been out sick the last two weeks . . . but this morning I was determined to go out, so I took my 2.5" snubby Alaskan in 44 Mag (I couldn't even get all 10 on the paper!) I then took my 6.5" New Blackhawk in 357 Mag, but I'm ashamed to show those targets too! I normally shoot handguns at 10 - 15 yards, as they are my self-defense tools, maybe next year I should skip the 25 yard off hand and make it 15 yards instead, we may get more participation . . .

I did not really have a bench, but I laid a towel on the roof of my car . . . and shot my Rem 513 22lr, it was a tad breezy, I plan to try to go out earlier tomorrow, maybe I can get a better group than yours, but it will be hard for me . . .

Here is what I shot today:

I then took my Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag, and to be honest, It is hard for me to see the target good at 50 yards, but I still sent 50 rounds down range . . . the first 40 were so horrible, that I cheated and rested the rifle on the towel on the car, only then could I get only nine on the paper . . . think I need a scope! I do have a peep on the back, but it is missing the aperture . . . that I'm sure is not helping either.

The rest of you need to send in your targets if you have them, you actually have a tad over one week to still shoot though, so make the best of it!

So far Imashooter2 is Winning the two classes he entered!

Boolit Master

So I went out this morning determined to take the title away from Imashooter2 in at least the 22 class . . . I got up early, and loaded the car . . . didn't get 1/8 of a mile and my benz starts coughing! I turn around and head for home!

I reload everything into my wife's car and head out again!

This is my first target:

I had readjusted my scope from yesterdays shooting, and shot the upper left target first with the same CCI Blazer ammo I was using yesterday, first shot was the flyer! I then decided to try some new ammo from Remington called "Peters" and shot the other top targets . . . that not gonna cut it, so I switch back to the CCI Blazers, and shot the bottom three targets . . . I think I can do better, but the breeze was starting to pick up, so maybe I'll try again in the morning!

Anybody else out there shooting?

BTW way the offer from Bullshop is for the best group from hand cast boolits, not the 22 rimfire class!

I met an interesting guy out there who came to sight in his PD guns . . . all 17 cals, I had never seen anything like that . . . so he let me shoot them, first two were Rem 700 in what I believe is called 17 Fireball, (a 221 fireball necked down) it shot pretty good, I shot better than he did with his own guns! He then had a 17 cal that was built off a 10/22, but had a special barrel . . . and another one that was 17 built of a 22 magnum 10/22 . . . the centerfires were nice!

I decided to shoot my 22 offhand and see how I did . . . obviously not as good as rested, but I think the scope sure helps me see better! (I could not even keep all ten on the paper with my lever!)

Certainly you can do better than that, but . . . I really want to get my 270 going, but waiting on a checkmaker . . . next year I hope to have a scope on my lever!
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 09-25-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Add second target. . .

OK, here it comes, please don’t laugh.
    Since the beginning of this match nothing really looked presentable from my two range trips. Time is running out and most probably I will not make it again.
    I said I join in and I am usually keeping my word.
    Although it is not good - here is my entry for class #5.

This was shot with my Remington New Model Army in .44
    Load was 28 grains of Swiss 1.5, overpowder felt wad lubed with homemade Hubertus lube and a .454 roundball
    Distance 25 meters (27.34 yards hope that is ok)

Hopefully the mail will make it on time.

Hubertus

Boolit Master
    Targets for match 1 and 2 go in the mail tomorrow.Hope they make it on time.
    The next postal match I hope to do better.................Terry

Boolit Master

They should make it . . . got over a week and a half to get here, but only a few days left to shoot . . . I'm hoping to give it another shot this weekend!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TCFAN View Post
    Targets for match 1 and 2 go in the mail tomorrow.Hope they make it on time.
    The next postal match I hope to do better.................Terry
    I got them today! So far your the only one in class #1

You did much better than me . . . so far . . . I went out this afternoon even though I've been fighting the flu bug (Thanks bus kids!) with my Marlin 1894 in 44 mag, trying to find a load that works in it . . .

I took out some of my MiHec's 434640's today loaded with the following powders:
    TrailBoss 6.0gr 252gr hp - didn't do too bad . . .
    Unique 8.5gr 271gr solid also not so bad . . .
    Unique 12.0gr 271gr solid opened up quite a bit - three off the paper!
    BlueDot 16.0gr 271gr solid only one on the paper! They were all over the place I was shooting into my 15" X 15" boolit trap, and they were hitting low,high, right, left!

I pulled the lever and bolt, and it was leaded up! I think I was pushing them too hard, the leading started about 1/3 of the way up the barrel, I was using t he RCBS lube, I'm not crazy about it (these were pb boolits) According to the books these should have been in the 1200 fps out of a revolver so I figure adding another 300 fps because of the longer barrel!

I never did shoot the ones I loaded with 2400, 18.0gr & 19.0gr . . .

Tomorrow I have a Dr's apt in Mexico, maybe I'll get a chance to try again . . . I think one of my problems is I do not have an aperture in my peep sight . . . I need to call Williams . . .

EVERYBODY get your targets shot this weekend!

So far I only have targets from two shooters! Other than mine . . . which aren't very good!

Boolit Grand Master

I was thinking of sneaking out tomorrow morning and trying to get something presentable for the 25 yard handgun, but the big storms that blew through SE PA last night have the access road to the club closed. Trees and power lines blocking the road AND the creek flooded.

Just bad luck.

Banned

Boy, am I late to the party! Finally took time tonight to find out just what a "Postal match" is, sure wish I'd looked sooner!

I'm sure I could dig up some targets from this Summer, but I'd rather be in it from the beginning when I "tune up" a load, posting pics along the way like some of you have. Really neat to see that, especially from "regular" guys like me.

Gear

Boolit Master

Yeah Gear, this is for the regular guys not the 300 yards and under an inch, standing on one foot with iron sights while singing O'l Susanna . . . using copper!

We shoot ten round groups to see the big picture, of the "normal" shot, we don't care about that one time shot that rang the 4" steel at 1000 yards (after 50 shots!)

I think I found my problem with my marlin . . . after I cleaned the lead out, it looks like I got a coating of copper in it!, I must not have checked it out that close when I got it!

Got to tomorrow night to shoot holes in paper, then send them in! The more the merrier!

Boolit Master

I got three targets from Dan Walker today!

Keep them coming!

Boolit Grand Master

I hope redneckdan doesn't forget that pistol target. It was a pretty darn good effort...

Boolit Master

Last Day!

Today is the last day to shoot!

Sun is shining today, I hope to go out this afternoon, and try to get all ten on the paper with Marlin open sights at 50 yards, and also the 25 yard handgun . . .

Send your targets in tomorrow!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast