Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can I do it 'till my foot goes numb?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Thanks, Gear, good suggestion.
    Um, ix-nay on the olen-stay oilet-tay. Can't STAND those things....
    Agree, besides there's a safety issue. Risk of explosion. Methane gas!

So many jokes, all well below board standards. Biting lip.

Off to get the wood today, and we'll see how this goes.

Boolit Master

Sounds like a job for one of those folding work tables from Black and Decker. And I was 43 11 years ago. Was still a real Armoredman myself then.

I took the name from 8.5 years in armored trucks.

Waiting to get everything unpacked and settled in before getting started, very soon, all out of 9mm and 7.62x39mm boolits.

Any bench with a pot of molten lead on it should be solid enough that you cannot upset it by tripping on a leg or lurching against it while off-balance. Maybe it's because I've become so clumsy in my old age, (vertigo), but that's my nickel's worth.
    Cognitive Dissident

This puppy isn't going anywhere, I can stand on it in total confidence, and I have exceeded my listed drivers license weight some time ago...oops. I decided that this table will not be used in a room again, and will not do the complicated and possible sliding multiple layer thing, will simply have material in front of the pot to catch splash. If it gets on the table, oh well.

If all goes well, we'll fire it up tomorrow morning....

Well, now THAT went well! For the first time, I ran the pot out of metal, had to reload it. I also got picky about my boolits. Only got 121 in an hour, but I'm happy...and my legs are VERY happy.

Temps are rising, and it's suposed to get about 107 or higher, so I quit when the garage began warming up. Door was open, fan blowing past me out to the street.
    Time for tea - took my coffee pot to work after staff broke the last one.

Hmm, I might have to do this again tomorrow morning....

Byron Cromwell
    Why not just get a galvaized steel trash can and turn it upside down? The lip around the bttom will keep stuff from rolling off and it is flameproof, which several of the above suggestiions are not. An uncomfortable sitting poistiion can be unsafe as well as uncomfortable, and standing next to the pot allows you to move out of the way of danger swiftly if the need arises.

Boolit Master
    My winch had better be overhead as my wife is 5' tall and I am6'2"and as heavy as tall 235#and old. She could hook it on my belt and spend the next hour getting my legs straight.
    All the benches in my shop have came from the alley look there.

Pictures speak a thousand words. Obviously this is cooled down, no chair, the towels would be rolled out, the one on the right is the drop towel, the one in front a splash guard for my legs.

Then the results of a quick casting session, all drying off in thier coats of Hornady One Shot for sizing. The fan goes up on some stuff in front of the bench, blowing back over me towards the partially open garage door.

See the casting bench does double duty, with a spare cat carrier underneath.

Why would you need to carry a spare cat? You expecting problems with the primary cat?
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
    Why would you need to carry a spare cat? You expecting problems with the primary cat?
    Some people have a backup gun, I carry a backup cat, throw the little claw monster at the bad guy when I run outa ammo...

I have FIVE of the furry little beggars....love 'em all, and the two dogs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
    He probably needs the backup cat when he tries to AC his boolits on the primary cat. more...Like I'm the only one that thought this

I use one of those plastic 2 1/2' x 6' tables with the folding metal legs you get from WallyWorld, home center,etc. I use a couple pieces of 2" x 10" to set my pot and tools on. I know folks are going to say it's too flimsy or unstable. Well, I use the same table to set my 12" Dewalt compound miter saw (70lbs) and up to a 12'-2x10. Never acted like it would give way and it is the fastest set of sawhorses I've ever used. Cheaper then one of those miter saw slideing sawhorse setups at 1/2 the cost. And it only takes up about 3" of wall space when leaned on the wall or in the bed of the pickup. Plastic top don't mess up the paint job when your carry tools in the house. The table and a folding chair solve my casting setup with no stress on the back or legs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123