RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #13 Babbitt

Boolit Grand Master

Obscessive Compulsive Disorder. Those who fear that if they don't control everything they will fall apart. Mind goes around and around a single subject and won't let go. Repeatitive behaviors. To a minor degree it is helpful, think Martha Stewart. Severe and it keeps one from functioning effectively, think Howard Hughes.

I believe anyone who has a graduate degree has it to some extent.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    OCD = Obsessive–compulsive disorder

Boolit Man
    I guess I haven't kept up with the times...I think we used to call that plain old "crazy". Anyway, the reason I asked about percentages was because I usually get flack for not paying ENOUGH attention to detail. I think you're right about the hardness being the desired factor.....it's been about 9 years since I did anything with rifle boolits it ended in more of a mystery than anything else. I do remember the first batch of 50 failed to hit a 4x8 sheet of plywood covered with black targets and flourescent orange dots at 200 yards with any regularity. I used 160 gr. Lee cast and the same charge I used for 150 gr. jacketed FMJ. They sailed over the Alpha Chrony at close to 3000 fps and probably disintegrated. THEN I found out about gas checks and slowing cast projectiles down to 2000 fps. I started getting a lot more hits on the 4x8 target, but still no patterns. I have two Savage 112BVSS 30.06 cal set up identically with 6-24 Weaver scopes and heavy fluted barrels. The one I shoot jacketed through will ALWAYS give me 6" groups or less at 200 yards even with my bad eyes and shaky hands. Shooting off of concrete benches at the club range I could not get the cast boolit gun to group better than about 16". In 2001 I bought this house and have barely kept up with the pistol boolits we all need and no time to experiment with rifle rounds. With retirement getting close, I would like to try again. I guess a good question would be ... What would be a realistic goal (group size) for cast boolits at 200 yards be?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12