Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Brinell for the BP big bore boys

Boolit Man

Brinell for the BP big bore boys

I've been asked to cast some boolits for friends with .45 and larger BP rifles.

I asked them what hardness they wanted and one got this nog grin and said 'as hard as possible for as long as possible". <SIGH>.... and there I was trying to be helpfuul.

I think I know what to do, but I'd like to hear some thoughts from the grand masters of castology before I go alloying up a batch of material. What alloy (Brinell) would you use?

Boolit Master
    If they do not know what they want, then how can you cast for them?
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Man

Not again....

Are you a friend of the guy that made the comment about harder and longer?

Maybe I'm asking the worng question and should just go on at 30/1 at 9 or so.

Ask for help and everybody wants to drop a one-liner. <Bidda bing...bidda bang>

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hansumtoad View Post
    I've been asked to cast some boolits for friends with .45 and larger BP rifles.

I asked them what hardness they wanted and one got this nog grin and said 'as hard as possible for as long as possible". <SIGH>.... and there I was trying to be helpfuul.

I think I know what to do, but I'd like to hear some thoughts from the grand masters of castology before I go alloying up a batch of material. What alloy (Brinell) would you use?
    Ask your friend to provide you some samples of what he wants. Measure it. He probably
    has no clue about lead except that he shoots it.

Banned

BP does not need hard and 20 to 1 or 30 to 1, lead and tin works fine. I don't see why they need such hard boolits.
    I use hard in revolvers for a reason but not with BP.

In Remembrance
    If you provide them with cast bullets that are BHN 8 they should be very pleased.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I'm assuming you mean blackpowder, so I'll tell you my preference is for 25-1 lead/tin. I had shot 20-1, but came to prefer 25-1. I know other guys who shoot 30-1. I shot BPCRS competitively for more than 10 years and sent more than a ton of alloy downrange....literally.

I can't imagine why anyone would want hard bullets with BP. Soft bullets are more apt to upset and seal the bore.

Toad;

If this fellow is serious let him provide you with the mold he wants to use for his chosen bullet. Then (if he can) request he provide his exact needs, don't let him generalize and and then bitch at you for not getting it right!

Then, if you accept the job, expect to learn a bit about casting the bigger bullets. If you have not made many 500 gr + bullets you will find that it isn't anywhere nearly as easy as making match quality, say, 30 caliber bullets.

In short, don't accept the job unless you're willing to put out a good deal more than you really expect along the lines of a simple "cast me a few bullets" request.

Good evening,
    Forrest

Boolit Man
    Over the years I've cast (and shot) a rather large pile of boolits for a .458 Win. and .45 Watts.

On the .50 side they have almost all been for a .505 Jeffrey. Ask me about smokeless and I'll deliver you a Brinell 15 give or take, big flat meplat, ahead of a long shank heavy that will break stuff when it gets there and then keeps right on going. They will likely be checked, sized at +.002 over and lubed with Zambini to not give bore problems before the recoil gets so punishing "woo fang don't want the ball no more".

Black powder silhouette... I'm somewhat of a novice although I would think 1 40:1 or 30:1 alloy at BHN 8-10 would be OK. .40 cal - 1st choice would be a 410678, .45 a 457677, and for the .50 a 515142 (thats the best choice I now have).

These guys are new enough to the game to not geally know what they need (not want, need). They've all bought Shiloh rifles and love dressing the part - if you get my drift. I know one of them and he asked me for help. So I will do the best I can.

Frankly, I respect this forum a great deal and wanted some corroborating - OR DIFFERING - opinions from the members. And as far as ******** at me ... SINCERELY I APPRECIATE YOUR WARNING OF THAT POTHOLE! But these guys are way too laid back and really just want to hear the thunder and see the smoke. Speaking of that, I planning on using SPG lube for the BP boolits.

Here are some 462560 Lyman's with which I'm going to go kill a dirt bank Saturday. .450 Watts. 95.0 grains 4320 powder. Fed 215 abd "Sufferin' Toucholes's" when the primer ignites.

I've tried and tried to upload a pic of these bullets but simply cant figure out how.

Anyway, gentlemen, thank you for your input. It was very much appreciated and quite valuable.

Boolit Man
    Well.... it pays to read instructions. Hope this works and here goes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 462560JPG.jpg  

Be carefull if using lead/tin alloys. You might get to liking it too much to go back to using antimonial alloy!
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Man
    Sweet Jesus, I forgot how bad the Watts kicks, or maybe I'm just getting old. 10 rounds and I couldn't see to drive for a half an hour or so (at least that hasn't changed}.

I do believe on the next trip across the water, I'm going to use cast boolits to smite the mighty buffalo. We dug a looooong way into wet clay and never did find a boolit. Alloy was 9lbs WW and 1 lb tin. Water quenched. Who wouulda thunk it?

Handsome:

Well, it appears that you're well up there in the knowledgeable class of bigbore shooters. I'll gladly take the back seat.

My 50/90SS is about all the rifle I care to shoot for much and it weighs 15 pounds. My load is 40 grains 4198 and the 50-700-PB Jones custom Creedmore .. with some suitable filler for the spacious 50/90 case. This provides 1350 ft/sec and some fairly good shooting at the 1000 yard mark.

Your Watts no doubt shoots a good deal faster. How heavy is it?

Good afternoon,
    Forrest

Boolit Grand Master
    Sweet Jesus, I forgot how bad the Watts kicks, ...
    That's almost what I thought when I read 95.0 grains of 4320 powder.

I have been using 20-1 in my .43 Spanish.

Robert

Boolit Master

You might check the twist on your friends rifle, to determine a maximum length of the boolit you will cast for him.

And +1 on BHN 7-9 - but my agreement don't mean squat, since I don't shoot BP!

That is - yet...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Does he want boolits or drill bits?
    Lead = cheap
    Tin = not cheap
    Start at 30/1 lead/tin. That should give good fillout.
    If he isn’t satisfied with that, then have him write up a set of specifications.

Black powder silhouette... I'm somewhat of a novice although I would think 1 40:1 or 30:1 alloy at BHN 8-10 would be OK. .40 cal - 1st choice would be a 410678, .45 a 457677, and for the .50 a 515142 (that’s the best choice I now have).

These guys are new enough to the game to not really know what they need (not want, need). They've all bought Shiloh rifles and love dressing the part - if you get my drift. I know one of them and he asked me for help. So I will do the best I can.
    If you mean they are shooting black powder silhouette, bhn is not really relevant.
    Last edited by wills; 05-23-2010 at 02:41 PM.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw