WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut media for flux?

Boolit Master

Walnut media for flux?

I've read here about using a wooden stick for fluxing, sawdust, corncob media and even kitty litter. Heck, even motor oil. I don't see why not but thought I should ask before doing it, any reason to not use walnut hull media to flux?

Thanks,

Ron

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Try it and report back. Should be excellent. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Okay,

I'm planning on smelting wheelweights this weekend if I don't have to work. I'll let you all know.

Ron

Boolit Master
    It smells better than corncob!

I use walnut along with some boolit lube.

David

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ron brooks
    I've read here about using a wooden stick for fluxing, sawdust, corncob media and even kitty litter. Heck, even motor oil. I don't see why not but thought I should ask before doing it, any reason to not use walnut hull media to flux?

Thanks,

Ron
    It works great, I like to use it when I melt WW. After I remove the clips I crank up the heat stir the melt and then cover my melt about a 1/4 to 3/8 " deep with old walnut media and go do something else for 30 to 45 minutes. Come back skim the ash off and pour my ingots. By doing it this way, I Iet time and convection do the work for me and avoid most of the fumes in the process, plus the alloy is very clean.

I wonder if this is what the old timers meant by" well boiled lead " ?

good luck

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks,

Ron
    Because media costs money and paint stirrer sticks are free? Ask for the big ones they keep behind the counter.

Boolit Master

Stick fluxing

imashooter,

Okay, so how does the stick fluxing work. Do I just stir the pot with of lead with the stick? Just stick the stick in and let it smoke? Would it work with smelting a largesh pot of lead (50 to 100 pounds? Seems the stick wouldn't be stout enough, but ....?

Any tips on how to do this?

Thanks,

Ron

Boolit Grand Master

imashooter,

Okay, so how does the stick fluxing work. Do I just stir the pot with of lead with the stick? Just stick the stick in and let it smoke? Would it work with smelting a largesh pot of lead (50 to 100 pounds? Seems the stick wouldn't be stout enough, but ....?

Any tips on how to do this?

Thanks,

Ron
    There are 2 sizes of paint stirrer sticks (that I know of anyway). They have the 12 inch little thin ones on top of the counter for the taking, and they have the 21 inch long, 1/4 inch thick ones behind the counter. Those are still free, but you have to ask for them. The large sticks are plenty stout and will stir a 100 pound lead pot with ease. They work just like the walnut would... they introduce carbon and reduce metal oxides back into the melt. I put the stick in and stir the pot, scraping the sides to dislodge any entrapped material and then skim. Use the stick till it shortens up a bit and then throw it away for the next.

Boolit Master
    imashooter2,

Thanks, I didn't know about the larger ones. I'll ask at the hardware store next time I'm there.

Ron

Boolit Grand Master

Walnut wood (sawdust) and fumes from burning walnut wood is toxic.

Dale53

If you are looking for a pretty smell, get some cedar chips from the hamster bedding section at wal-mart. Casting smells don't get any better, and it fluxes like the rest of the floating organics do.

Go easy on the amount of cedar chips or it can smoke up the place, you might cut it with kitty litter some as the kitty litter hangs around while the cedar chips totally destroy themselves to make that aroma.

Oldfeller
    All retired now, just growing tomatoes and building and shooting my guns.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Stick fluxing / stirring is a fine way to go; I've used it for years. BUT, be SURE the wood is thoroughly seasoned and dry, especially if you are using a broomstick or such-like to stir a big, deep smelting pot, or you may receive a kiss from the Tinsel Fairy!

floodgate
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Boolit Master
    Oldfeller,

Cedar chips is a great idea. I'll "borrow" some of the shavings for my daughters prarie dog.

Floodgate,

I want nothing to do with the Tinsel Fairy. Hope to never have it stop by.

Thanks,

Ron

In Remembrance
    Cedar chips is a great idea. I'll "borrow" some of the shavings for my daughters prarie dog.
    I think prarie dogs contain carbon, too...
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Montana Charlie,

You're going to get me in trouble.

Ron

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    not much to add here,just that if you use kitty litter it is more to keep oxidation from forming on the surface of the lead,and be SURE to use UNUSED kitty litter!
    Jeff.

Boolit Master
    madcaster,

But, ummm, wouldn't the used kitty litter supply a , ummm, source of extra carbon.

Ron

Beg to differ on the kitty litter.

It is made of steam exploded organic clay and by itself is a surface floating flux that is quite capable of keeping a melt oxide free. It requires no additives nor stirring with a paint stick to work perfectly well and has kept my melts completely oxide free for over 10 years now.

The splash barrier provided by a quarter inch of kitty litter makes adding sprues easy and pain free and no droplet of moisture falling from arm or sweating brow can penetrate the white layer before evaporating harmlessly. The fact the added lead materials dwell on the surface of the litter for a few seconds before slipping into the melt gives time for any moisture to evaporate off the added material. The passage of the melted lead through the kitty litter fluxes it without requiring any stiring. Yep -- kitty litter does NOT REQUIRE YOU TO STIR the pot constantly, it is maintenance free fluxing.

The insulation value of the quarter inch floating on top of the melt is the ONLY thing that makes an old LEE 10 pound pot able to keep up with a six banger molds at all -- no electrical heat energy gets wasted usng kitty litter. The lead melts faster and stays at the correct temperature much more consistently since I started using kitty litter.

Good stuff, kitty litter.

Oldfeller
    All retired now, just growing tomatoes and building and shooting my guns.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfeller
    Beg to differ on the kitty litter.

It is made of steam exploded organic clay and by itself is a surface floating flux that is quite capable of keeping a melt oxide free. It requires no additives nor stirring with a paint stick to work perfectly well and has kept my melts completely oxide free for over 10 years now. -snip-
    Oldfeller
    How can you tell the metal is oxide free? It has a layer of kitty litter on top of it.

Boolit Master
    Push the kitty litter off to the side. The melt will be bright like you just fluxed it.

Oldfeller is right, Kitty litter kicks ***. I learned it here.

I use automotive speedy dry. Its the same thing with NO additives. I own a garage, so getting the stuff is just bringing it home.

David