WidenersLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2400 in a 357 Magnum

2400 in a 357 Magnum

Based on searching this site I decided to try some 2400, I loaded some test rounds and figured out that:

13 grains under the 158 SWC tumble lube boolit is an absolutely wonderful combination. I used CCI SP primers and they worked great.

I tried up to 13.9 grains, the groups dropped off just a bit and it was huge fun to shoot.

I'll probably retest as the slightly larger group from the heavier load may have been me. (shot off a rest but I wan't quite flinch free)

My lead is an alloy mix that tests out at 15BHN, FYI.

Is this pretty consistent with y'alls results? Would accuracy improve with harder boolits in the heavier loads?

It was a nice suprise as the accuracy was still very good, didn't try anything heavier yet.

Boolit Master

The joy of mid loads , life is good !!!

Just watch for the kernels left from 2400 ,If they get under the star they`ll make ya scratch ya head a time or 2.

Ya still should be in the 1100fps range , a good load for shootin what needs shootin!!
    Your alloy at 15 could stand all ya want a 357 to do.
    GP100man

Boolit Grand Master

Glad you are having good results. H110 is another good .357 powder, altho it is
    more oriented to top end loads. Sounds like you have a good middle power load
    and that can be a wonderful thing to have.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Nice to find a good load that's fun to shoot, isn't it.

I've found 2400 to be a very useful powder in a lot of different straight wall handgun cartridges.

Slight thread hijack: You can keep most of the crud out from under the star if you eject the cartridges while the barrel is pointed safely upwards. Some powders are worse than others, and at different pressure ranges. This to me is the one major weakness of conventional DA revolvers.

I love 2400 in the .357 When I start developing the load for my .44 Mag I will start with 2400
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

On Heaven's Range

In my book, 2400 is THE classic magnum-revolver powder. I've messed with quite a few others over several decades, but I'm back with the tried-and-true 2400 in .357, .41 and .44 Magnums.

Easy ignition and a decent pressure performance have endeared it to me. Full-power loads are readily reached, and it works very well at reduced levels, too....which can't be said for H110/296.

I've said it before....I could still be perfectly happy today with the powders which were available in 1965. 2400 is a major player in that statement.

Great stuff, really. Curmudgeon still eats it on his breakfast oatmeal (according to him).
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW
    I've had real good results with 12 gns and lymans nice little 358156 and 18gns in the 44 with anything 240 gn.. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in..
    Good luck
    stay safe
    Calvin

Boolit Master
    If anyone doesn't mind i need some help with 2400. I tried it recently in my 44Mag. I got all kinds of unburnt powder granualls either left in the casses or in the barrel.
    My loads were 10gr powder under a 503 remake by Mihec , Fed LP primers , Starline casses with only a moderate role crimp
    kevin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    If anyone doesn't mind i need some help with 2400. I tried it recently in my 44Mag. I got all kinds of unburnt powder granualls either left in the casses or in the barrel.
    My loads were 10gr powder under a 503 remake by Mihec , Fed LP primers , Starline casses with only a moderate role crimp
    kevin
    When you tried 9.5 grains and 10 .5 grains what were the results?
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Master
    kevin
    10 grains of 2400 is a very light load for that powder, it doesn't make enough pressure to burn well. A faster powder is needed, Unique for example, or a higher charge weight of 2400. Good luck.

In Remebrance

kevin
    You'd need a heavy crimp to hope for better ignition. You can also try seating deeper or a filler.

Boolit Master

kevin
    I've tried 14 gr of 2400 but generally, I'll stay up between 17 and 20gr. The gun and I like that better. I have gone to as high as 22gr.
    EW
    Last edited by Edubya; 05-20-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Apology

Boolit Master
    I've settled on 14.5 grains of 2400 under a RCBS 158 gr. SWCGC for my 357 Magnum.

Winelover

Thanks for the great info, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    I've settled on 14.5 grains of 2400 under a RCBS 158 gr. SWCGC for my 357 Magnum.

Winelover
    I have loaded rounds from 11 to 15 grains in 1/2 grain increments with a 140 Lee SWC. gonna look for the best group then break it down to the tenth of a grain. 15 grains looks like it comes pretty close to the base of the boolit when its seated.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm with Bruce, 2400 is my go-to for 357. Between that, Unique and Bullseye, I'm pretty much set for the handguns I load for.
    "Yes, I handload almost exclusively. No, it isn't really cheaper, but I shoot a lot more...."

You have to remember that you are dealing with clueless idiots.
    They couldn't get a clue even if they rubbed clue musk all over themselves, and did the clue mating dance, in a room full of horny clues. -Matt G.

Boolit Buddy
    Cant tell you what the charge is but I had 100 rounds loaded for my 44mag. Shoot all 100 chasing empty water bottles. It was fun and very little recoil. I save the Win296 for top end loads.

Boolit Master
    I've had pretty good results with HS7 and AA7. It appears that HS7 is no longer available as new mfg. Looking at the burn rate tables and data on the Hodgdon web site, it appears that Longshot might also be useful. These are all a tad faster than 2400.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Grand Master

prgallo

What .357? And barrel length please. Seems you've found a good load.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Im sorry Prgallo I didn't mean to take the thread in a new direction! Ill start another thread.
    Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast