Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: International Lawn Steel shooting

Well time sure flies when your having fun. We have completed the new targets, we have four new shooters and we continue to have fun at this game. As Orville mentioned in February that I had shot three perfect games, I have now shot five perfect games. Can't tell how that happened it just does. Orville and I were the big winners on Tuesday, he won 53 nickles and I won 50. When we started this stupid game we would loose a bunch of nickles each every week, our other ILSA buddies commented Tuesday that we were nickle fountains back then. Now the new guys (***'s) are. I still can't wait for Tuesday to come. You just shouldn't be allowed to have this much fun shooting.
    As Orville stated, we have combined our castin efforts. It has paid off as we have increased our production and efficiency.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Man

Wish we had a NH chapter.
    "The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Well is summer and school is out. I have been taking my old partners son who is 13 to shoot lawnsteel and he is hooked. He is doing very good and is actually getting in the game and collecting animal shots. His dad is telling me that he talks to them about it for an hour and cant wait to go again next tues. Now he wants a T/C Contender for his own. I have been letting him shot my 38/357 Thompson. He is also interested in learning how to reload so he is planing to come down and learn. Orville has been on vacation for 3 weeks and will be back to shoot next tues. Can't wait to take his nickels.
    see you at the range
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Lament of an old Lawnsteel curmudgeon
    My wife Debbie, and I have retired. We sold our shooting facility through pressure brought on by a neighbor(Oh my God, they are shooting guns!!). The facility no longer supports Lawnsteel the game. A fairly new shooting facility, cajoled itself into hosting Lawnsteel in the hope of gaining state recognition for Sunshine shooting competitions. Of course with new visibility, more folks become first attracted and then obsessed with shooting Lawnsteel. Now I drive fifty miles to enjoy a little friendly shooting competition and end up watching instead of playing. Playing instead of watching was the basis for Lawnsteel and the reason my facility could accommodate two games simultaneously. Please, please, please, someone come down here and build, monitor, maintain, organize, coordinate and manage a Lawnsteel complex capable of accommodating three to seven games of Lawnsteel simultaneously. Or maybe killing off a half dozen or so Lawnsteel players, I ask for no special exemption. Come on down and help overpopulate our Lawnsteel ghetto. Sorry about the lament, I did 5 hours of manual labor yesterday and a half jug of horse liniment just barely has me mobile, but still disgruntled.
    Roy

We are now seeing a growth of our lawnsteel contingent and as Roy states, we are having to rotate our group so that everyone gets a chance to shoot, we now have on a regular basis nine or ten guys showing up to shoot lawnsteel. There is currently about 25 members in our group but not all show up on the Tues, and Sundays that we shoot. We have two sets of targets now made up but the club that we shoot at only has one bay that will accommodate the 70 yards needed to set up a lawnsteel target set. I do not know what the answer is but it would be nice to have the accommodations to set up two shooting ranges so all that come can shoot the four games that we play.
    I had a great time at the Range today, you just can't imagine how much fun this game is. I LOVE THIS GAME
    see you at the range
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Thread update
    It has been just over two years now, my rolling block Uberti failed. Chamber block eroded and leaked pressure badly. Continued pestering finally paid off with a new chamber block of correct style. The row boat Uberti contracted for shipment came to port with the almost correct part, this time. With a 50/50 chance of the correct firing pin accompanying the part, of course they sent the wrong one. Once again I was forced to make the firing pin from a drill bit. Although my firing pins outlast Uberti factory pins by about 8 to 1, working on small parts aggravate my hand/finger arthritis terribly. It really felt good to shoot it once again. Ammo over two years old performed like no time had elapsed. It was 81 degrees yesterday, winter in Florida, ya gotta love it. Motorcycle riding and fishing today, I'm a genuine Florida cracker, I love my home and Lawnsteel.
    Roy

Shooting on Tues. was just a joy. As Roy stated 81 degrees, it was a bit overcast for the first two games and made it a challenge to see the targets, then the sun popped out and all was right with the world. Roy was shooting is Uberti again and he did no miss a beat. Shot really good.
    Its seems that we have a group in the state of Washington that are getting ready to start shooting lawnsteel. They have targets built and have contacted us for the rules and set up. Roy has sent them a wealth of info for them to digest.
    can't wait to get feedback on how they are progressing.
    I love this game
    see you at the range
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

Some new interested players have asked for a video or two, showing the game in progress.
    Here are some videos to check out:

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Yea, We have had a member here (rdbronco) contact us and is establishing a Lawnsteel shooting group in the state of Washington. They have made their targets and are working on finishing them. Our illustrious leader Roy has e-mailed a package for them to digest and we are hoping that they can get up and running with a short learning curve. Good luck to the new Lawnsteel group there.
    We shot yesterday and the weather was 78 degrees, the sun was out and not a cloud in the sky Awwww Florida, what a great place to live.
    I love this game.
    See you at the range
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

I really like changing up the game. There's an ever changing layout of the targets, every game seems to be a bit different, depending on how the guys place the steel. The lollipops go in the front row, but they don;t have to be in order, or even side by side. One of the games we played on Tuesday had lollipop 2 placed strategically behind lollipop 1, 4 was behind 3, etc. Strategically such that whoever knocked over lollipop 1... the head of the lollipop would end up sitting on the base of lollipop 2 (making it harder to knock 2 over). Then, placing "Joe Corpsman's" head behind a log, with just the top peeking over made that shot interesting, etc.
    However, there are also a LOT of variations in how the game is played.
    The game I called (that's what they get for electing me line judge) was "The Numbers Game, Decending Order. So, properly played, we have to start with the highest number lollipops, and work backwards. You have to play the highest number of everything, and some arbitraries have higher numbers. QUITS, for example, go up to the number 12. So, the first arbitrary has to be Quit 12. Some of the animal targets have more of them than others. So, Turkeys and Pigs have four each. So, you have to shoot pig 4 or turkey 4. Once the fours are out of play, then all the threes have to get shot. Then, all the twos, and finally, all the ones. The game is a bit confusing at first, and there will always be complaints. Just remember that the Line Judge is the decider of all actions. And, that if someone forgets the nature of the game, and shoots an incorrect target down, it's a foul. So, I think of this version of the game as a Thinking Man's game in addition to be a skilled shooters game. Great fun. This game cost almost everyone LOTS of nickels!

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Wow::::::what a beautiful day it was for shooting lawnsteel. The sky was blue and not a cloud around temperature was 80 degrees and the shooting was fantastic. Orville almost shot a perfect game today, Only missed one target in the 3rd game. He is getting close every week. We had 7 shooters today, as a couple were out sick or tied up with other commitments. So we trade off so everyone gets to shoot. Normally we shoot 18 rounds per game, but because we were all shooting so good today we had 3 games were we only shot 15 rounds per game and we won 3 out of the 4 games we played. You just can't know how much fun shooting this lawnsteel game is.
    I wish I had found out about it much earlier than I did.
    Roy Says that the guys in Washington State are make headway and about to finish up on their targets. Can't wait to hear how they do once the get started. Roy Made a Video of a round that we played last week and I hope will be posting it soon so you can see what its like. I love this Game.
    see you at the range
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Monday evening, I worked today getting 2 Contenders put together. 1 for a new shooter to purchase and one for Eddie. He had a stainless frame that was a spare and he mentioned to me the other day that he did not like his blued 38 special octagon barrel and wished he could find a 38/357 stainless Bull barrel set up like his 44 Mag/special stainless contender. The new guy wants to buy a 38 special contender so I found a stainless 38/357 barrel and Eddie and I did a trade so I have one now set up for the new guy and Eddie has a 38/357 stainless set up the way he wanted it. We will be shooting tomorrow our regular Tues. shoot but because we are growing we shot last Sunday and will be shooting again this Sunday. We need a second range, we have the targets but no were to set them up at the club or Eddies. The club just added 4 new bays but they are not long enough to accommodate Lawnsteel requirements. We now have 12 regular members, so we are switching off so everyone gets to shoot. So the up side is that now we are getting to shoot on Sundays more than we have in the past, maybe we can make it an every-other Sunday routine.
    I love this game,
    see you at the range
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

On this past Tuesday we had 10 shooters show up and had 2 regular member that did not make it. We know have enough shooters showing up that we could have a second line to shoot if we had the space to set up a second range. It was suggested that we shoot 2 times a week. So that may be the the short term answer. Some of the Guys can't make it on the second day so it may be the way to go for now. The weather was perfect on Tues, 82 degrees and sunny. Eddie Shot a perfect game with the new contender that I put together for Him. First time he has shot a perfect game with a 38 Cal. So needles to say he really likes the new gun.. He has shot many perfect games with his 44 contender so I found a match bull barrel and set it up with the identical sights like his 44 and it worked for him. Orville, Eddie and I got one of the new guys all set up with his new reloading equipment and he is on his way to reloading. One of the other new guys, Paul is shooting pretty good with the Thompson 38 that I put together for him. I am loading for him right now. We will be setting him up in a couple of weeks so he can start loading his own. We are going to shoot on Monday at Eddies range and then Tuesday at the club range next week. Can't wait. I love this game
    See you at the range
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

I just had to come on and announce that my buddy Orville Shot his first perfect game today. He has been so close many times with one missed shot games......but today he did it. Congratulations Orville you did it. What a great feeling it is, now they will come much easier once you get that first one out of the way.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    I just had to come on and announce that my buddy Orville Shot his first perfect game today. He has been so close many times with one missed shot games......but today he did it. Congratulations Orville you did it. What a great feeling it is, now they will come much easier once you get that first one out of the way.

Way to go Duke!!! Wish you lived up here still and ran some matches for us!!!

In Remembrance

Hi all. Yeah, the perfect game (no missed shots and no fouls) has eluded me for four years. Finally nailed it.

Michael, if you guys make up a set of targets, I will make a special trip up to promote the game. I'm sure you will be as hooked as I was.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Do you have a file with the dimensions and specs on targets? I wonder one of the local ranges would let us run a match. I'll have to ask a buddy who is a member at a couple of the local ranges that have the room for this.

In Remembrance

Yes, if you look in an earlier post, you will find d links for the target dimensions.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

We had a class from Roy on Scoring and score keeping for Lawnsteel at Eddies last Saturday. I have been shooting Lawnsteel for Three years now but we have never had a tournament as it requires at least 2 shooting setups. We only have room for one at our club. So we play the game and use nickels as our LETS. So we are hoping that with the expansion projects going on at our club that somewhere down the road we can get another bay set up for lawnsteel. We are getting new shooters and sometimes have as many as 10 at a time. Keeping our fingers crossed. I love this game.
    see you at the range
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

As of this date, there is not a single Lawnsteel player, using anything other than home cast projectiles. Not sure if any other gun game can make that boast. It would be my educated guess, no other gun game is played completely exclusive of commercially produced ammunition either. Playing Lawnsteel not only turns really good shots into really good shots, it makes casters and loaders out of (zombie) customers.

On the way out of bay 7, one of our fairly new players had an epiphany I was privy to. He said "six months ago I would have never imagined a 6" X 12" target 60 yards out with an open sighted handgun as an easy shot". He had lost a total of nine nickles that day and considered it as a trophy.

I love this game!

Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast