RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: International Lawn Steel shooting

Patience grasshopper you will get there. You have almost done it. You have become a great shooter.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Are there any North Carolina clubs nowadays ? I would love to give this a shot, figuratively and literally.

No, the only other state that has lawnsteel is in Oregon. We haven’t heard from them in over a year so don’t know if they are still going.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Well just when I thought it couldn’t get any better shooting lawn steel, Roy introduced us to mini lawn steel. What is mini lawn steel you ask? Well I’m here to explain it to you. First off you need a Red Ryder BB gun. You can get them at Walmart for $24.97 and 6000 BBs for $4.95 and your in business. Now about the targets. They are the same as the regular targets but the are miniature and are 25 feet away. They are set up on a 4 tiered stand about 2 feet high and 4 feet wide they are about 2 inch rectangles. The identification of what it is is painted on it. Rules are the same. Now the one thing that made a difference in target accusation is the front sight, the stock Red Ryder comes with a standard blade but you can order a high vis sight and install it yourself. This made a big difference for me. Everyone has gone to the high vis sight. Instead of leaning back in the lawn chair you sit up and shoulder the rifle normally. Now the only problem with that is at our age you have the wibble wobble. So fouls are more frequent in the beginning. The nice thing about mini lawnsteel is it can be played in the back yard, basement, garage, carport, or any place that have a little space.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Hello all
    I am being prodded into commentary. The name of the game is Mini Steal. It is the kid friendly version of Lawn Steel. Designed by Robert Francis with the intention of allowing his grandchildren to participate in a GAME he loves. Robert took his idea and made the parameters to suit conditions present. His modifications of Lawn Steel rules were given the official Harumph of ILSA board directors 21 years ago and have remained intact. Although I am not the author, I will defend his intent just as I have always towards the usurpers of any game rules. My reaction to the fun suckers who wish to modify, alter, adapt, adjust, add, delete, or change parameters in order to gain gratification is this; Do you know why Elephants are grey? Cause that's the way it is! The game was offered for enjoyment of play. This a GAME, we PLAY, please don't suck the fun out.
    The simple Daisy Red Ryder action, unmodified youth models, are the only accepted air rifles for play. NO* Daisy offers a fiber optic sight on some models and is acceptable for use on all. NO* Upright seated position is the shooting posture. NO* .177" steel BBs only. NO* Except for Lollipops, all targets are 2" high by 1.75" wide. NO* Lollipops are 1.25" high by 1" wide. NO* From muzzle to closest target is 25'. NO* There is a video coming showing the target presentation. NO* Cocking the rifle before shot acknowledgement is a foul. NO* Lack of projectile expulsion is not viable as a turn mulligan. NO* Playing the game involves a lot of laughter. NO* Quite a bit of it is directed at those crying about loading component shortages and prices. NO* $30 bucks and you are equipped the same as the residing champ. Also that same investment will see you through about 300 games of Mini Steal. My cost to produce a full set of targets and stand, was under a hundred bucks. In the video you will see growed *** people laughing as they shoot these kids toys. Shooting is shooting! Good shooting is good shooting! Cheap fun is the best fun!
    The NO* is the answer to the myriad of questions being asked by people who think they are so special that rules should be bent to accommodate their personal wants. NO* Play or don't, it is awful fun!
    Roy
    Last edited by gunarea; 03-03-2021 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typing corrections.
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunarea View Post
    Hello all
    I am being prodded into commentary. The name of the game is Mini Steal. It is the kid friendly version of Lawn Steel. Designed by Robert Francis with the intention of allowing his grandchildren to participate in a GAME he loves. Robert took his idea and made the parameters to suit conditions present. His modifications of Lawn Steel rules were given the official Harumph of ILSA board directors 21 years ago and have remained intact. Although I am not the author, I will defend his intent just as I have always towards the usurpers of any game rules. My reaction to the fun suckers who wish to modify, alter, adapt, adjust, add, delete, or change parameters in order to gain gratification is this; Do you know why Elephants are grey? Cause that's the way it is! The game was offered for enjoyment of play. This a GAME, we PLAY, please don't suck the fun out.
    The simple Daisy Red Ryder action, unmodified youth models, are the only accepted air rifles for play. NO* Daisy offers a fiber optic sight on some models and is acceptable for use on all. NO* Upright seated position is the shooting posture. NO* .177" steel BBs only. NO* Except for Lollipops, all targets are 2" high by 1.75" wide. NO* Lollipops are 1.25" high by 1" wide. NO* From muzzle to closest target is 25'. NO* There is a video coming showing the target presentation. NO* Cocking the rifle before shot acknowledgement is a foul. NO* Lack of projectile expulsion is not viable as a turn mulligan. NO* Playing the game involves a lot of laughter. NO* Quite a bit of it is directed at those crying about loading component shortages and prices. NO* $30 bucks and you are equipped the same as the residing champ. Also that same investment will see you through about 300 games of Mini Steal. My cost to produce a full set of targets and stand, was under a hundred bucks. In the video you will see growed *** people laughing as they shoot these kids toys. Shooting is shooting! Good shooting is good shooting! Cheap fun is the best fun!
    The NO* is the answer to the myriad of questions being asked by people who think they are so special that rules should be bent to accommodate their personal wants. NO* Play or don't, it is awful fun!
    Roy
    I must be dumb cause i cant find a video of y’all playing Lawn steel with BB guns?

In Remembrance

That's mainly cause I haven't posted it yet. Was waiting for my buddy, Roy, to post his posting, and then I told him I would post the video. So, here is:

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    I must be dumb cause i cant find a video of y’all playing Lawn steel with BB guns?

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Thanks Orville
    Great video, shows the true intention of Lawnsteel, PLAY!! The distance is greatly reduced as you can see the full sized targets in the background. No advantages of custom equipment here. Little kids feel right at home playing and actually catch on to the rules better than adults. The Red Ryder is a $25 rifle with surprising accuracy. Eliminates the constant whining about costs and availability of ammo. Distance from to muzzle to target is 25' so nearly anyone can have a private range. Where, is of concern as BBs do ricochet a lot. Unlike most shooting games, the emphasis lies with personal ability. The marksman must adapt to the equipment. Due to the enjoyment, similarities, challenge and just plain fun, ILSA has recognized this game as its very own "SPECIAL" child. As observed, the fun coefficient threshold may exceed its parent form.
    Making the target sets has proved to be much less enjoyable than originally figured on. I am being commissioned to produce more sets and will do so. The price is as yet to be determined but the prospective customers have been forewarned of no discounts or quarter given.
    Spend the staggering initial cost of around $35, check your ego at the entrance and brace yourself for some seriously stupid fun. Just like Lawnsteel, it quickly becomes addictive.
    Roy
    Last edited by gunarea; 04-11-2021 at 07:19 AM. Reason: typing corrections.
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Looks like fun too. Do you have to use a red ryder or can you use the Daisy pump Model 25? One of these critters was my first ‘real’ rifle. Killed a lot of rats and mice with it.

Boolit Master

would be a lot of with 22 LR too
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

The "GAME" would be fun in any form but the original intent was a level playing field rather than becoming an arms race. Not only is a Red Ryder the prescribed equipment, youth model is only permitted. Here we are back to a level playing field. Bringing in a $2000 PCP to compete with a $25 Red Ryder is not a fair contest. There are ILSA shooters completely capable of that level of expenditure. It is not what we are about! Wonder how often someone might show up at a national bowling tournament with a ball twice as large? True ILSA marksmen will divulge every advantage and gladly discuss any of their loading procedures. Unlike so many gun games, skill wins at Lawnsteel, not privilege's or wealth. We want to beat you on your best day, that is real victory. Not putting anyone down for having the means to win with wealth. Money don't win Lawnsteel trophies.
    Ruger sponsored some ILSA tournaments. The available stations were 100% filled as ILSA shooters embraced the opportunity to compete with little regard to equipment advantages. Just as the name suggested, only Ruger revolvers were accepted to be used in the tournament. To add challenge, several of us employed small caliber to compete in large caliber classes. Only Lawnsteel experience can fully grasp the difficulty level engaged by these particular marksmen.
    For many, shooting the venerable Red Ryder brings a rush of childhood familiarity into folks in their retirement years. Yeah at 8 years old, I was a killer, armed with my rifle and a two cent cellophane package of BBs. The whining and crying is not about primer costs, lead availability, lack of ammo, propellant scarcity or even jealousy of equipment. Everyone has the same thing except skill level. We are not politically correct, everyone is not a winner!
    22 lr cal ammo damages steel targets worse than ILSA approved 45 long colt ammo. Again the intent was not to exhibit the awesome potential of firearms but to provide a venue for marksmen, especially for markswomen and markschildren. It takes a special marksman to check their ego, leave the shelter of privilege, don particularly thick skin, wear a smile and PLAY. Watch the videos, no other gun game has the banter and laughter we enjoy. If you are a really good shot, come play Lawnsteel, you will become a really good shot.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Roy, that sounds like so much fun. I have kids in Daytona. I'd love to hook up with you guys sometime when I'm down. With the Red Rider I could just pick one up at Walmart and leave it for some of the kids. Be a lot more simple than flying with a firearm. Gp

You only need to bring nickels. We gladly will provide you with everything you need to shoot either game.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Pee Wee: Thank you. That's generous. I'll bring enough nickels to make it worth your while. Gp

We call that nickel fountains
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Well we are moving to a private shoot range. Our club is going to be the home range for Jeff koening
    And he need a 50 yard bay so as our bay is the only bay that is more than 50 yards the owners are setting him up in that bay. Now they were going to move us to the side of the 900 yard rifle range and that would work fine, however one of our members just bought 30 acres across the highway from the club and he offered it up and we are building an ILSA RANGE there. More to come as it develops.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Pee Wee: Things are looking good for you guys. A club member with thirty acres is good news. Gp

Yes he has a ILSA range at his house. 10 acres there. We have been shooting there for the past month and we shoot there every other Saturday now. But even though it is semi country he still has neighbors there. Most are shooters but to keep the peace it’s better that we move.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

We have made some progress on our new range. Moved a fence on Sunday and Eddie has had 22 loads of dirt delivered. We have moved everything from the club to the new range and sitting out of the way. We are waiting for the dozer boys to show up and level the area where the shooting line will be and take down 2 pine trees and mold the berm. We are having a work party Friday to string a fence on the border of the parking area, about 90 feet. It’s coming together. More later.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

All the dozer work is complete and we have purchased all the alumna shield for the roof of the two shooting covers and shed to store our chairs, tables, generator and supplies in. Roy is an engineer and is going to build them with our help. We are going to meet Tuesday after we shoot and put together a plan and materials list to complete the job.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast