Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: International Lawn Steel shooting

Hello All
    Just as "Teflon" was not originally designed to magically slide your eggs out of a skillet, Lawnsteel was never intended to transform people into shooting whores. Folks worth $350 an hour reduced to whimpering globs after suffering an errant shot that has a net worth of -25 cents. PLEASE don't come shoot Lawnsteel. As a supporter of general well being, PLEASE don't come shoot Lawnsteel! Those who try the game become hopeless, insatiable, mouth breathing zombies. My first hand experience has seen nationally ranked shooters succumb to the whims of a temptress lacking in conscience.
    Orville has just left after a couple hours of website work. He is funny, he makes me laugh. Orville is trying very hard to share a gift he has been given. ILSA now has an operating website. Lawnsteel the game is being promoted and thus far has proven to be quite the hit with casual shooters. Again, not the intended outcome. The effort being put forth is monumental considering the personal hurdles he must endure. Some of you know what I am referring to.
    PLEASE don't try Lawnsteel! It just makes more work for an invalid and a retiree who really doesn't give a ****. The game requires the competitor to acquire or manufacture ammunition at a level of precision, foreign to most shooters. Lawnsteel the game, will reward and admonish with equal ferocity. Good shooting is relative. Never missing on a line with five other shooters never missing, makes you average. PLEASE don't try Lawnsteel! Knowing the difference of powder location kinetics is fundamental to Lawnsteel players. Understanding exactly what is happening during a cartridge discharge is basic to a "Bulleteer". Bulleteering is something a Lawnsteel player acquires on the path to being a good Lawnsteel player.

PLEASE don't try Lawnsteel! You will make me wait for my turn longer! You aren't a good enough shot to play the game. It will cost you untold amounts of nickles. Buying guns exclusively for Lawnsteel is stupid! Any miss is witnessed by everyone and extremely degrading. Loading specifically for a game that is only played occasionally is not sensible. Attacks upon individual integrity and ethics can erode self esteem. Protocol procedures are tiresome and quite simply only to promote safety. People who play Lawnsteel are arsholes! It is too late for me and several others I will not name. Save yourself, PLEASE don't try Lawnsteel!
    Check out the new website and PLEASE don't try Lawnsteel!

That awta shut em up for a while.
    Roy

In Remembrance

Having attained an age where I can shoot ONLY when seated, your sport has certainly gained my attention. I've read all the posts up to here, and think mebbeso there should be a Canadian contingent. Please post a link to the ILSA website.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

In Remembrance

The lack of a link to the NEW website is my oversight, and for that I do apologize.

It's still a work in progress, but one long overdue. Roy had let the old domain lapse, and it's only after adding new batteries to the cattle prod did I get him to wake up from his sleep, and get going....

So, without much further delay, the new web site lives here:
    http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...sociation.com/

I am working on cleaning up the look of the rules (PDF FILE), as the one posted was from an old funky printer Roy once owned. The rules are current, it's just a messy print job. The rules were actually posted: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2752901

And, immediately following that post were some details for the design for the rest of the targets. I might ask Roy to enhance the rules, to include those extra details.

We can also provide some technical support regarding suggestion for steel thickness, etc... We've tried all sorts of paint configurations, but plain old SILVER paint, with gloss black for the numbers works best.

If you see (or don't see) anything on the new web site that needs addressing, let me know. I'm the webmaster for the site. webmaster@internationallawnsteelshoo...ociatio n.com

We'd love to have a Northern Contingent. Be aware that you should contact Roy for the FORMAL club affiliation requirements. He does issue membership cards, etc...

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy
    That sure looks like fun.
    Are there any groups in Missouri?

In Remembrance

Roy (gunarea) is the one with knowledge as to where the previous groups were.

It's easy enough to start your own group. Maybe Roy will check in, and answer the question.

Quote Originally Posted by baogongmeo View Post
    That sure looks like fun.
    Are there any groups in Missouri?

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

I'd sure be interested in seeing a group form in central North Carolina -- preferably within an hour or so drive from Winston-Salem. I could get set up to produce the required ammunition in fairly short order if I had a need for it, and I'd love to have some incentive to improve my marksmanship -- and nickels are about my speed for incentive.

In Remembrance

Sorry Duke, maybe I'm too much of a computer ******* but the links as you've posted them don't work for me. However, no rush. It'll take me quite a while to get a few lethargic Canucks 'interested'. What with branding, harvest, curling........or rig moves.........!!

Walmart online had the perfect chair for CDN$33............but they're sold out!!
    Life Member NRA.

In Remembrance

You cannot copy and paste what I put as links. If you try to do that, you'll pick up the ...'s that are in the truncated link reference. When I created the links, I used text, and made the text associated with the links. If you put your cursor OVER the text, without clicking, you'll see where the links will take you, down aty the bottom of your screen.

Sooooooooooooo

Just CLICK the links, and your browser will take you directly to it.

Quote Originally Posted by HABCAN View Post
    Sorry Duke, maybe I'm too much of a computer ******* but the links as you've posted them don't work for me. However, no rush. It'll take me quite a while to get a few lethargic Canucks 'interested'. What with branding, harvest, curling........or rig moves.........!!

Walmart online had the perfect chair for CDN$33............but they're sold out!!

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

Updates coming soon. Check back here often.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Today we shoot lawnsteel. I haven't posted in awhile. Duke and I are working on load development on a couple of things. We have purchased 45 LC barrels and settled on a load for them. Now we are fine tuning sighting them in. We are also starting to work on a new bullet comb for our 38/357 cast bullet. We use a 158 grain non gas checked bullet and are going to try a 158 grain gas check bullet. We cast up some on sat. And I have loaded up some to shoot today with the same load as the non gas checked one, just to try. We will be chronoing soon. We are growing as a club. We now have 10 to 12 shooters coming so we take turns for the 4 games that we shoot. We are working on getting a second line set up but that involves a few things that have to happen. The first is making a set of targets and that is costly. We have found a source for the steel ( donateded) but it will take a while to gather the amount that is required, then to cut and weld them. So we are on the path to get it done. We have a crew of new shooters and 5 or 6 of us have been getting togather on Tuesdays to practice and sighting in our guns so I have been getting to shoot 2 days. Helps to feed my castin and reloading habit. I love this game
    see you at the range
    Pee Wee

In Remembrance

LOTS going on, since we posted last Summer.

Pee Wee has shot three perfect games! That's every target he called getting knocked down, with no fouls. He's progressed quickly! Congrats, Pee Wee!

We have also teamed up to cast, make gas checks, and lubricize boolits.
    1) Pee Wee has been using his Lyman molds, and our mutual supply of lead, to keep us both in boolits
    2) I supplied my FreeChex III tools, and a arbor press, and Pee Wee made mounting fixtures, and he's now cranking out incredible quantities of 44 cal, and 45 cal gas checks. He's also making 30 cal and 22 cal gas checks for our other shooting interests. I buy the rolled raw material from Yonky, and Keith mounts the rolls on a roll dispensing fixture he designed. He can punch out gas checks very quickly and efficiently, with almost no waste at all.
    3) I just recently supplied a recently purchased Star Lubricizer for the purpose of increasing our sizing/lubing capacity. The new version will handle the small 38 caliber boolits, while his original sizer will handle the larger 44 and 45 sizes. He's making bullet feed parts so that both machines will have bullet feed tubes. We're going to work on making a hopper to feed the tubes. Both machines have rheostat controlled heaters.

The purpose of all of this???

To allow us time to get the casting process out of the way, so that we have more time to develop precision loads, and shoot.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Wow what a fantastic sport. Lounging shooting and BS all rolled into one. Heck I grew up that way. Those super light loads are a hoot. Keep it up.

In Remembrance

There is a new pistol range starting up here locally that maybe, just maybe, might become a Lawnsteel venue. Wish me luck.
    Life Member NRA.

So, are there any CAD type of drawings that I could give to a fab shop to get the various targets cut out. I am ignorant as to how to make those drawings but I am sure once I have them, the shop can either flame or water cut them out. All the while leaving the least wasted scraps. One local shop does water jet cutting for a very reasonable cost.

Boolit Man

You still terrorizing all the old geezers down there?
    "The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

In Remembrance

Sure am, Paul. Hope you're enjoying the snow...... <wink> Thanks for mixing it up for the PRIMARIES!

Quote Originally Posted by NHPaul View Post
    You still terrorizing all the old geezers down there?
    The designs for the targets are covered earlier in this thread. There are no "cad drawings" that I am aware of. The targets that we shoot at are hand cut with a torch (oxy/acetyelene), and subject to random interpretation. Don;t be worried about precision. Each slight variation is noticed by the shooters, and makes for interesting games.

Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    So, are there any CAD type of drawings that I could give to a fab shop to get the various targets cut out. I am ignorant as to how to make those drawings but I am sure once I have them, the shop can either flame or water cut them out. All the while leaving the least wasted scraps. One local shop does water jet cutting for a very reasonable cost.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Man

I would like to make a set of cad drawings if there are any sketches available
    "The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Boolit Master
    I just wish a place near me did something like this. It looks like great fun.

In Remembrance

The details for the targets are listed in previous posts in this thread. Go back to the beginning, and see the specific posts with the details for steel and targets.
    We have been shooting at two sets (two different locations), and I will tell you that BOTH sets were torch cut with some precision, but not at all strictly to any drawing. For example, the set contains three geese. In each of the sets, all three geese are unique (six totally unique geese), and each presents it's own challenge, and plays into the game. For example, in the primary set we shoot, goose #1 has a long tall neck, and a short fat body. Only by hitting goose #1 in the head (a 1.5" X 1.5" target) or extreme upper neck, will it go over. Goose #2 and goose #3 are each unique, but shorter necks, and even a body shot will knock them over.

Point being, that there is a LOT of interpretation allowed in the making of the targets.

So, Paul, gather the details for targets, and please share a copy of the final cad file with me. I don't have a real way to PRINT out targets from a cad file. So, if you can think of a printer friendly, non-AutoCad way to print the files, I would appreciate it.

We are currently in the process of making a NEW set of targets. The way we are doing that is to pencil outline what we feel are the best targets from our sets, and try to copy that as close as possible with a plasma cutter. The result will be three geese that are as close as possible to being the same, ditto on all of the other animals, quits, and card suits. Some of the dynamics of the game will be lost, but we'll have a complete set of what they are supposed to look like.

If you wanna come visit, Paul, and do actual measurements from actual targets, keep in mind that BIKE WEEK is coming up fast. My spare room is available for you and the Mrs. You're always welcome to my home.

Quote Originally Posted by NHPaul View Post
    I would like to make a set of cad drawings if there are any sketches available

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

I've got the pistols and I even have the Zero Gravity lawn chair - if there were a shoot like this locally I'd be all over it! Looks like a bunch of fun.
    I'll bet a 32-20 barrel on my contender would be the cats meow for this...

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast