WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: International Lawn Steel shooting

In Remembrance

Here's my first attempt to post the new videos. I'll try to do them in order and might have to do them over several parts. There are 8 videos in all. While my phone is capable of doing more than two hours of video, my back (cancer is back again) prevents me from more than about 15 minutes at a time.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

Number 2 of 9

Comments:
    1. All shots are called shots
    2. The basic rules of the game are that you have to knock down two lollipops to "get in the game"
    3. Hitting the target doesn't count. You must knock over all targets to get credit for them.
    4. Once you have two lollipops knocked down, you are "in the game"
    5. The next target to call is one of the "arbitraries"
    6. Those consist of: Rectangular tombstone looking targets called, "QUITS" (The rules actually call them "QTS") there are 12 of those, AND....
    7. Arbitraries are also four "card suits", hearts, diamonds, clubs, and spades. There are four of each of those, numbered sequentially.
    8. Once you call, and knock down an arbitrary, that earns you an "animal shot."
    9. There are Rams (the largest) - 2 of those, Pigs - 4 of those, Turkeys- 4 of those, Geese- 3 of those, Chickens - 4 of those, and finally "Mickey Mouse, and "Joe Corpsman",. The animals, with the exception of the Mickey/Minnie mouse and Joe Corpsman targets, are numbered sequentially.
    10. If you knock down an earned and called animal shot, everyone pays you a nickel. The rules officially call the payment "LETS" so that none of us get in trouble for er um... gambling... during live fire exercises. Missing doesn't cost you anything, per se. However, if you call an animal shot, and miss that, you have to re-earn the animal shot by shooting another called arbitrary.
    11. IF, however, you call a shot, miss, and in the course of doing so, you accidentally knock down something else, that is a "foul" and you have to pay everyone a nickel.
    12. Sometimes more than one arbitrary or animal falls. As long as the original target to fall was the called shot, you get credit for the additional knocked down targets.
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 07-01-2019 at 08:21 AM.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

Number 3 of 8

Comments:
    1. I spent some time filming the various guns they all shoot, and the position they are in while shooting
    2. At no time are any feet or toes in the way. The game is extremely SAFE
    3. I also tried to catch the "banter" of the game
    4. Each shooter is responsible to keep track of where they are in the game
    5. So, you'll typically hear, "I'm not in the game, but I do have one lollipop, and I will shoot lollipop 3"
    6. Or, "I am in the game, but don't have an animal shot, I'll shoot at Heart 1"
    7. Or, "I am in the game, and have an animal shot, and will shoot Ram 2"
    8. In all instances, the "I love this game" is an optional thing to say. Many people, having a bad day, will be slightly disgruntled, and might say, I kinda like this game" Or, leave that part out completely.
    9. Typically, the others DO HAVE a sense for where ALL shooters are in the game, and will excitedly point out when you do or don't have an animal shot earned.
    10. Those working on a perfect game, where there are no misses of called shots, will hear from at least a couple of players when they blow the perfect game with an errant shot
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 06-27-2019 at 06:30 PM.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

Video #4

Video #5
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 06-30-2019 at 09:48 AM.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

Video #6

Video #7

Video 8 of 8

Tried to catch some action of the targets falling down.
    Did all of this with my cell phone, which has limited zoom. So, sorry for the occasionally wiggly camera work.
    To properly cover the game with cameras, it would take at least three camera (two obviously on tripods with no humans in front of the shooting line), and a roving camera walking behind the shooters, and some fancy split screen editing so that you get to see where the shots hit, targets or dirt. I don't have any of that equipment, nor skills. Hoping that the provided videos do it justice.
    As previously said, the best way to experience this game is to come and shoot it in person. We'll let you borrow a chair, a gun and ammo both tuned for the game. Bring your own nickels, er um, "LETS"....
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 07-01-2019 at 08:22 AM.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

I'll add details and comments for each video later, do reach is in some perspective.

Here's one perspective:
    You can have a horribly bad shooting day, full of fouls, missed shots, etc, and it's likely to cost you no more than a roll and a half of nickels. Where can you go, have four + hours of non stop fun, and have it only cost you three bucks?

The guys (and one gal) carry LETS around in all sorts of Glad snap lid containers, cigar tubes, and pouch type bags. I had been using a velvet liquor bottle bag (you know which brand! Has the word, Crown in it), until the bag got so full that it was busting the seams. Had to sew up a denim bag, which is more than sufficient to hold all the nickels I win every week. One of our buddies, who hasn't shot in ages (wish he would come back and shoot!) has literally JARS of nickels all over his home. Door stops, etc. He's an excellent shot, and the nickels prove it. Er um, I mean LETS... lol
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 07-01-2019 at 08:29 AM.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Seminole County?

Location is: Volusia Gun & Hunt Club.

Great videos Duke in Florida,,,thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Eagerly awaiting the video, put it on while dems are debating tonight,so we’ll have something to watch,LOL. Very interested in seeing how far the targets are from the line, and how positioned. I think its 200 feet and some closer and some farther.
    Hossfly it is 156 feet to the front line 195 Feet to the back line. So there are 150 feet in 50 yards and 195 feet is 65 yards. We also put the chickens and joe corpsman on the berm and that is 70 yards.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    Pee Wee, what did you use to protect your knees/legs when shooting that Model 27?
    Like TC, I am dying to see more Youtubes on your swell game.
    Albert Rim if you can see the covers on Paul’s, Randy’s and my legs those are the leather that I made.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Pee Wee what is the Joe Corpsman, is that the orange cone with the Golfball on top?

Boolit Master
    Ok I went back and look at #2 video and the Joe Coreman is way back behind Mickey Mouse.

Boolit Master
    Ok I got the yardage down, now about the hand cannons. Those all look and sound like 38 special and loaded to 800-900 fps is that the limit or what specifically cail. And power Required.

In Remembrance

So, some answers to the questions.
    I strongly suggest that you read the official rules for the game, which are posted previously in this thread, and also on the ILSA website, which has a clickable link in my signature line.

We shoot either "small caliber" or "large caliber" depending on the whim of the line judge.

Small caliber refers to 38 special/357 magnum. Great debate whether one is superior to the other. The benefit of the 38 Specials is that in the very light loads we are assembling (810-820 fps, approx), the smaller size "pressure vessel" yields more consistent velocities. The 357 magnums use basically the same amount of powder, and even with the same headstamps, gives more stretchy variation from case to case. However, the 38 Specials also have a bit of a jump to get to the barrel, vs 357 Magnums (all guns are 357 Mag chambered.) So, I, and many others, find the best accuracy and consistency of velocity when firing the 38's in the 357 Mag guns.

Large caliber typically, for most of them, means 44 Specials or 44 Magnums. However, a few of us also have 45 Colt Contenders, and occasionally use those in a large caliber match. The recoil for normal powders is a bit much for some of us, and we tend to use Trail Boss, adjusted in the cartridge to yield best accuracy and within the velocity parameters required by the game. However, when a line judge calls a large caliber game, those who prefer, are allowed to shoot their 38 specials, knowingb that they will be at a disadvantage. A couple of the shooters show up to every match with ONLY ONE GUN, a 357 Mag, chambered with 38 Specials.
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 06-27-2019 at 06:07 PM.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Mold
    Orville this was a great first time video try at what goes on at our shoots!
    Hope everyone sees how much fun we have. It’s really true that the camera adds 20 pounds to a person

Boolit Master
    Duke, thank you for the Youtube video dump! Lots to watch. Very, very sorry to hear about your back issues.

Hossfly: Roy called small caliber revolver so they are all revolvers, 38/357. Jackie,Nancy,and I shoot Smith & Wesson model 27-2
    8 3/8 inch barrel. Gary,Randy,Roy,Derry,Jack,Gunnar and Eddie shoot Ruger Blackhawk 6 1/2 inch barrel. Greg shoots his service colt trooper that he had rebarreled to 8 inch and Paul shots a Colt Python with 8 inch barrel and Duke shoots a Ruger GP100 with 6 inch barrel. Its about 50/50 on the case being either 38 special and 357mag. We do extensive load development. We cannot exceed 850 FPS. So that includes powder and cases. We use the same headstamp. It takes about 100 rounds to settle on a case, powder and fps. I use Bullseye. It’s about 50/50 between Bullseye and Promo. I use 3.4 grains in a 357 federal case. My FPS is 790, this is where my gun shoots the best group for me. We shoot for around 800 to 820 FPS for the best apex of the bullet, that is so the point of aim is the same from the front line to the back line. I always aim for the top 1/4 of the target. Now this is for small caliber. We have a large caliber class. You can find the different class specs. In the rules. Let me know if you have any other questions. Be happy to help.
    I love this game. See you at the range
    Pee Wee (aka Keith)
    Last edited by Pee Wee; 06-29-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

FYI we have various guns we can shoot. Revolvers and single shoot pistols. Most of us shoot Thompson Contenders Gen. 2
    Roy and Gary shoot rolling block Urbertti in 38/357 about 6 of us have Contenders in 38/357mag, 44/44 mag and Duke and I have Long Colt 45. I carry 6 guns to shoot in lawnsteel. I know I know but but but.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

The powders that seem to be preferred are:
    38/357 - Bullseye and Red Dot or Promo (Promo is basically Red Dot without the red dots)
    44 mag/specials - Bullseye or Trail Boss

We all choose head stamps to suit availability. My 38's are Winchester, and my 44 Mags and 45 Colts are Starline.
    Some of the guys shoot 357 Mags with Fed or R-P head stamps
    Others shoot 38 specials with Fed, R-P, or whatever they had the most of to produce a matched set of a few hundred.

See the rules for velocity limits, and bullet weight limits. Yes, the bullets cannot weigh more than a specific amount. Most of us are shooting Lyman 358665 cast very soft for the 38's. And, Lyman 429215 with aluminum gas check for the 44's. I also cast a 260 g RFN (don't remember the Lyman mold number) also aluminum gas checked for the 45 Colt. I know PeeWee casts a 262 flat base SWC for his 45 Colt. He's given me some samples to test.

Be aware that all boolits cast for this game are custom alloyed. The bullets MUST obturate in use. So, commercial cast usually won't work. And, commercially loaded ammo is too hot for the rules. To relly play for nickels, you need to custom cast, and custom reload, and then have a gun with a hair trigger, suitable for a match style game. The front sights on these guns normally have to get really adjusted higher than factory normal. Kind of like lobbing rocks at the targets. High trajectories. The concept for the velocity is to get the apogee (highest point in the trajectory) about in the middle of the target range. That way, you can aim at about the same aim point for all targets, front to back.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

Actually, Pee Wee, the Contenders are Gen 1!
    Gen 2 were made with soldered on cast front sights, and a flattened trigger. Gen ones are typically pinned front sights (can change out the blades) and a curved trigger.

I also carry a small caliber revolver and Contender, a 44 Mag revolver and Contender, and the 45 Colt Contender. PeeWee has me beat by one gun! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    FYI we have various guns we can shoot. Revolvers and single shoot pistols. Most of us shoot Thompson Contenders Gen. 2
    Roy and Gary shoot rolling block Urbertti in 38/357 about 6 of us have Contenders in 38/357mag, 44/44 mag and Duke and I have Long Colt 45. I carry 6 guns to shoot in lawnsteel. I know I know but but but.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast