Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: International Lawn Steel shooting

Banned

Always love to hear about this.
    I go to Florida on business often
    Would love to be the ephemeral ***
    Would love to burn a pile of nickles for you all

Well if you get this way and are here on a Tuesday you are invited to come and shoot with us. We shoot at Volusia County gun and Hunt club located on St Rd 44 in Samsula, Fl. We are about 45 min north of downtown Orlando.
    Send me a private message and we’ll set you up with everything you need except nickels. Hope you can make it, it’s the most fun you will have shooting a hand gun. I love this game
    See you at the range
    Pee Wee

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Last edited by Pee Wee; 04-21-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

PM me or PeeWee next time you are going to be in the Daytona area.
    We would be happy to lend you a gun set up for the game, and ammo tuned for the gun.
    The game has a lot of rules, and the serious players reload cast boolits to meet the rules.
    Read the rules here:
    http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...om/ilsa-rules/

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 05-05-2019 at 08:52 AM.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

We have another new guy. Ed. He has got the lawnsteel fever. So now we have 10 to 12 people shooting on Tuesday. He is starting to get the hang of it. He is shooting with a 38/357 Ruger Blackhawk. He bought himself a lawn chair and starting to get comfortable with it. ( this is a big part of lawnsteel shooting ) now he is working on trigger pull. We now have a 4000 watt generator and 2 fans to help with the heat here in Florida. We shoot from under a covered shelter and also put up a 6x8 tent so we are all shaded. This also lets us shoot if it’s raining. Generally if it does rain while we are shooting it is done by the time a game is complete. A game is timed and last 50 min. So we can get the targets set back up for the next game. We shoot 4 games. We start at 9:00 am and usually we are done around 1:00 to 1:30.
    I love this game, see you at the range.
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Well I finally found a Smith and Wesson model 27. Picking it up on June 15th. It was a safe queen and looks brand new. Came from a collector that is 80 years old and selling off his collection. I have been wanting this gun since I began shooting lawnsteel. I think I am going to keep my Ruger 38/357 Blackhawk also. According to the serial number it was made in 1976 so it should have the target hammer and trigger from the factory, as they stared shipping them with those in 1976. I can’t wait to start shooting that gun in lawnsteel. I will let y’all know how it goes after I get her dialed in. I love this game.
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

We had 13 shooters today. Lawnsteel is growing here in Volusia county. So we have two lines shooting, each line has six shooters so we still had one sit out the first game and then to switch out one for the next game. The temperature hit 98 degrees, we now have a generator and two large fans to help with the heat. It makes it comfortable to shoot in these conditions. We have a couple of new shooters (****) and they are starting to get indoctrinated into the game. Shooting is one part of the game, getting comfortable with your shooting position and how you position your gun, trigger pull, picking your targets and understanding the rules and the different games we play and game equity, and using the proper verbiage to call your shoot are all part of the game and it can be a little intimidating. I’m sure Roy ( The founder and father of lawnsteel) could elaborate on this much more than me. He has seen it all. I love this game. See you at the range
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Ok picked up the Smith and Wesson model 27 on sat. Went to sight in the gun for lawnsteel. As we only shoot low velocity rounds ( we can not exceed 870 feet per second) we have found that the best velocity for us is around 810 feet per second. So we use just three brands of powder. About half of the guys use Promo the other half use Bullseye. I use Bullseye for my 38/357 and Trailboss in my 44/44mag and 45 colt. ( less kick in the big guns) the grains of powder for my gun is 3.4 grains that give me the ft. per sec that I am looking for. We raise the gun barrel pointed at the sky and tap the powder back on to the primer and slowly lower it so powder stays back. So now with this information you can understand that I could not get the sights low enough for point of aim. So I had to do some front and rear sight work. I added .30 thousands to the front sight and subtracted .30 thousands from the rear blade. Went back out today dialed her in and worked great. Very pleased the results. Shot point of aim perfectly. I will be shooting it for the first in tomorrow in the lawnsteel game. Can’t wait. I love this game, see you at the range.
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Hi All,
    This is my first post on Cast Boolits, and I am technically the NFG at ILSA although I’ve been shooting with them for a year. What a great group of shooters. Everyone is very helpful, but its not for the thin skinned personality. Along with the encouragement expect some serious teasing, that is usually well deserved. I always come with lots of nickels. The most I've lost in one day is $4.00 (only once to that disgraceful set of shooting) and managed one day to amass 13 nickels to the good. I consider it a good day to break even. The thing I find most challenging is consistency. Even when you know all the right steps to set up a great shot, I miss. And to add insult to injury, it should have been dead on. I spend a lot of time at home dry firing, and hopefully one day I'll get to the level to give Eddie a run for the high nickel count of the day.
    Last edited by ILSAaddict; 06-21-2019 at 04:19 PM.

The beloved; ****in New Guy.
    Most powerful force in Lawnsteel. Everyone, likes to be the big brother and mentor of the ***. The top shots get little help, guidance or sympathy for errant shots. Location of shot impact is immediately reported by several to the novice player. Eddie misses a shot and is instantly informed "there goes your perfect game down the ****ter". Regardless of shot placement, a down target by a *** is a good shot. Top guns toppling a target with anything less than "straight back" movement, get a "meh". Just like seeing your kid take their first step, watching a *** progress is exciting. Helping one is even more satisfying. A Lawnsteel *** is far above the average marksmen. Lawnsteel **** are capable of teaching others to load precision ammunition. Everyone playing Lawnsteel, was at one time, an ***. I love ****.

Pee Wee is both an expert and victim of correct verbiage. Correctly identifying the intended target for engagement is a hallmark for successful Lawnsteel play. Without actual play experience, it may be a little difficult to understand. A big part of playing Lawnsteel is playing. No excuses, no pretense. We poke fun at everyone. Wilbur just loves to tell me "good shootin" right after I pound down the wrong target. Loudly thanking a player after collecting a foul nickel is both polite and aggravating at the same time. ILSAaddict is absolutely spot on, don't play in the sand box if sand in your panties disgruntles you. Our **** have become skilled marksmen and adept at both giving and taking ****. Learning to express yourself above the din seems to have a rather short learning curve though. Now add the Mason jar, Dixie plate controversy, and things get stupid. Examples; with a single Lollipop down, a Northerner has "A" lollipop. A Southerner has "UHH" Lollipop. Notherners use "Cell" phones. Southerners use a "Sail" phone. Throw in the occasional brain fart and everyone has a good laugh, although the threat of doing it yourself hangs ever present in the mental shadows.

Duke hit the Linejudge paradox briefly in an earlier post. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. With only a single marginal judgment passed against an ***, revenge seems an inevitable pleasure. However, upon the first empowerment, nearly all are severely intimidated. Time and experience heals the wounds, benevolence is much more prevalent than malevolence. Combine time, experience, intelligence, mischievousness and a overwhelming urge to screw with brains, woo-hoo Linejudge fun happens. What you get is the "NO" game, in ascending order. Sorry no explanation, only experience will suffice here. Read the rules for the full explanation of Linejudge empowerment. Of all whom could be messed with, caution should be exercised when provoking. A Linejudge is elected from within the shooting group and will become painfully aware of the memory capacity of their peers. This powerful sword is very much double sided as all will attest to.

That is my chapter on Lawnsteel for today and my typing limit for June. Until the next time, have an admirable game.

Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Master
    Wow! How did I miss this thread!

Boolit Master

Too bad someone would not post some recent Lawn Steel shoot videos.
    Maybe even go or the rules somewhat in one.
    In a fun lighthearted Lawn Steel sorta manner of course.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Too bad someone would not post some recent Lawn Steel shoot videos.
    Maybe even go or the rules somewhat in one.
    In a fun lighthearted Lawn Steel sorta manner of course.
    Well said Roy oh great wizard of all there is holy of lawnsteel!!!!!!

I love ****

Well TCLouis as a matter of fact Duke of Florida is ramping up for that very thing he has acquired the technology for his phone to video a game to post. Stay tuned. On another note I shot my Smith & Wesson model 27 for the first time last tues in the game and it performed very well. Made some great
    Fuzzy butt shots and collected 42 nickels In the three games that I shot in. We shoot 4 games when we come together on Tuesdays, however we had to shoot at Eddie’s and we only have one line at his range. (The club was flooded where we set up two lines so we shot at Eddie’s) therefore we rotate so every one gets to shoot 3 games. I am very satisfied with my new pistol. Love this gun.
    So let us know what you would like to see or what information you would like and we will try to show you or tell you about it. I love this game.
    See you at the range
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Pee Wee, what did you use to protect your knees/legs when shooting that Model 27?
    Like TC, I am dying to see more Youtubes on your swell game.

There is a video on You Tube from 2014.

Boolit Master
    I watched that one and the one from December 2016. I'll admit that based on camera angles it looks like toes might be at some risk, but I am sure y'all have got that sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    Pee Wee, what did you use to protect your knees/legs when shooting that Model 27?
    Like TC, I am dying to see more Youtubes on your swell game.
    I have made two knee cover out of real cow hide leather. I will take a picture of them tomorrow while we are shooting and post them. Duke is going to shoot a video and post it here. We will show the target set up and try to give you a good perspective of the game from the shooters view.
    I love this game.
    See you at the range
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

The "Wilbur" reference in Gunarea's post was with regard to me. My name is actually Orville, so it's one of Roy's regular teasings.

My new cell phone has 256 GIGS of storage, and so I should be able to video just about an entire game (IF I can get the guys to keep the language civil). There are several variations of the game, and the elected LineJudge gets to choose which version the shooters shoot. The setting of the targets changes with every game, and so there are virtually thousands of resultant games. Many with the edge of the required target just barely sticking out past something in front of it.

If you think you are a good shot, try this game.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

BTW, when I do the video, I will try to capture all of the nuances, angles, called shots, target set, etc.

The very best way, however, to experience the game is to come to Volusia County Gun and Hunt Club, and try it out. BRING NICKELS. We'll let you borrow a chair, borrow a gun and ammo tuned for the game.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Well I took pictures of my knee guards and a line set and I cannot get them to load. Duke videoed our last game today and also showed the target set. He well post soon. We had 9 shooters today. This was not our normal day to shoot so we were missing four of our regulars.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Eagerly awaiting the video, put it on while dems are debating tonight,so we’ll have something to watch,LOL. Very interested in seeing how far the targets are from the line, and how positioned. I think its 200 feet and some closer and some farther.
    Last edited by Hossfly; 06-26-2019 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Added info now

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast